Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

As it almost always is. And this is a key point that absolutists usually miss.

Everything is nuanced to some degree. The balance between competing interests can be difficult to strike and we have a lot of competing interests in play here. I generally come down on the side of allowing people to decide individually the degree of risk they wish to assume. However, I'm not an expert on anything and, in this case, am willing to defer to those who are.

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

Everything is nuanced to some degree. The balance between competing interests can be difficult to strike and we have a lot of competing interests in play here. I generally come down on the side of allowing people to decide individually the degree of risk they wish to assume. However, I'm not an expert on anything and, in this case, am willing to defer to those who are.

You aren’t just assuming risk for yourself here. Your assuming risk for people you come into contact with after. 

I have 5 employees in their 60s not to mention others I come into contact with. If I get sick I’ll be fine.  I might get one of my employees sick and they die.  Did they assume risk by coming into work to have money to eat?

46 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I really think there are two differences from the NCAA to the NBA. First, the NBA kept playing with a full crowd up until a player contracted the virus. Once a player contracts it, it is over because you have to quarantine every player they came into contact with over the last couple of weeks. I think the second thing done differently is limiting the availability of the players to the media. If they can keep them mostly off planes (or provide private planes), and manage the other things they might’ve able to. Is the risk worth it? I am personally not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The talking heads are all giving the NBA kudos for suspending the season and giving the NCAA crop for playing in front of no fans.

Think they forget that the NCAA announced playing conference tournament games in front of no fans prior to the NBA suspending their season......in fact, there weren't any official plans from the NBA until after Gobert tested positive.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You aren’t just assuming risk for yourself here. Your assuming risk for people you come into contact with after. 

I have 5 employees in their 60s not to mention others I come into contact with. If I get sick I’ll be fine.  I might get one of my employees sick and they die.  Did they assume risk by coming into work to have money to eat?

Brass... take a breather. I can guarantee cthomas wasn’t advocating for the death of your many employees.

You should be able to admit there are competing interests at play. That’s how discussion and resolution works best. It’s fine to tell everyone where your line has been drawn between interests. Which you’ve done. 

Your point is well taken that a flippant attitude by an individual increases risk to everyone. 

18 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Brass... take a breather. I can guarantee cthomas wasn’t advocating for the death of your many employees.

You should be able to admit there are competing interests at play. That’s how discussion and resolution works best. It’s fine to tell everyone where your line has been drawn between interests. Which you’ve done. 

Your point is well taken that a flippant attitude by an individual increases risk to everyone. 

I was not saying he was advocating the death of my employees. Just explaining how he wasn’t just assuming risk for himself 

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think I said that in this case I was willing to defer to the decisions of the experts. I am well into the high risk group and understand the possible consequences of infection.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

You have been saying this same thing in every thread... we get it... 

And to answer your question YES they assumed the risk by not self-quarantining just as somebody else did by going to a sporting event or out to eat at a restaurant....