Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

That scenario doesn't exist if you don't make the mistakes that allow it to occur.

The scenario of making the mistake that lead to that doesn't exist in a fairly called game.  You seem to want to ignore everything that happened except that.  Domino #100 doesn't fall unless the first 99 do.

Saying things like "the Pacers overcome the officiating for 47:30" but the Pacers are wholly responsible for the loss is contradictory.  The outcome most certainly was effected by the officiating.  Should the Pacers have won given they had a 3 point lead and the ball with 10 seconds left?  Certainly.  But the last 10 seconds are irrelevant if the game is called on the square.

18 minutes ago, J34 said:

Match fixing/Spot fixing has been going on forever. And there's no federal law restricting it. Professional sports and Vegas have been in bed together for a long time.

Tim Donaghy bet on games he reffed for four years and was not once investigated by the NBA nor dismissed or punished for incorrect calls.  It was the FBI that nailed him, not the league that should.  The fact is that the league should have noticed.

29 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Tim Donaghy bet on games he reffed for four years and was not once investigated by the NBA nor dismissed or punished for incorrect calls.  It was the FBI that nailed him, not the league that should.  The fact is that the league should have noticed.

This message brought to you by DraftKings sports book. Use code DONAGHY to receive a $200 free bet. 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The scenario of making the mistake that lead to that doesn't exist in a fairly called game.  You seem to want to ignore everything that happened except that.  Domino #100 doesn't fall unless the first 99 do.

Saying things like "the Pacers overcome the officiating for 47:30" but the Pacers are wholly responsible for the loss is contradictory.  The outcome most certainly was effected by the officiating.  Should the Pacers have won given they had a 3 point lead and the ball with 10 seconds left?  Certainly.  But the last 10 seconds are irrelevant if the game is called on the square.

I get what you're saying but are you really willing to die on Referee Hill? We can critique the officials all day and be pissed at the league's large market favoritism till we're blue in the face. I hate it too and see through the league like everyone else. But if a team isn't going to help themselves by making unforced errors it makes them responsible. That applies to dominoes numbered 1-99 as well because a good number of those belong to the Pacers as well. 

I'd bet the farm those guys woke up today thinking 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' instead of wishing the officials called fouls a-z. Because in the end, it was their own mistakes that mattered the most.

21 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I get what you're saying but are you really willing to die on Referee Hill? We can critique the officials all day and be pissed at the league's large market favoritism till we're blue in the face. I hate it too and see through the league like everyone else. But if a team isn't going to help themselves by making unforced errors it makes them responsible. That applies to dominoes numbered 1-99 as well because a good number of those belong to the Pacers as well. 

I'd bet the farm those guys woke up today thinking 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' instead of wishing the officials called fouls a-z. Because in the end, it was their own mistakes that mattered the most.

Every team is going to make unforced errors.   No team is going to play a perfect game.  No ref is going to ref a perfect game, either.  But I do think think that the errors made by refs are going beyond simple judgement errors and into producing a product that the NBA wants.  I do have a problem with that and I'm not sure why anybody else wouldn't.  

The reason that you are saying their own mistakes mattered the most IMO was because of a contrived scenario created by the officiating.  More than any other league, professional or otherwise, in the NBA teams and individuals are rewarded or punished by their team and last names on their uniforms.  I read a biography from an NBA ref (can't remember who it was, may have been Nick Baveti) who talked about having an on court conversation with a player who accused him of protecting superstar players and his response to him was 'of course I do, they pay all of our salaries'.  Bottom line, if it's a sport, call it even.  If it's entertainment, count me out because I don't particularly find their product entertaining.  I mainly stay away from NBA games for that reason.  And I would say to people that like the product, more power to you but at least acknowledge what it is.

52 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Every team is going to make unforced errors.   No team is going to play a perfect game.  No ref is going to ref a perfect game, either.  But I do think think that the errors made by refs are going beyond simple judgement errors and into producing a product that the NBA wants.  I do have a problem with that and I'm not sure why anybody else wouldn't.  

The reason that you are saying their own mistakes mattered the most IMO was because of a contrived scenario created by the officiating.  More than any other league, professional or otherwise, in the NBA teams and individuals are rewarded or punished by their team and last names on their uniforms.  I read a biography from an NBA ref (can't remember who it was, may have been Nick Baveti) who talked about having an on court conversation with a player who accused him of protecting superstar players and his response to him was 'of course I do, they pay all of our salaries'.  Bottom line, if it's a sport, call it even.  If it's entertainment, count me out because I don't particularly find their product entertaining.  I mainly stay away from NBA games for that reason.  And I would say to people that like the product, more power to you but at least acknowledge what it is.

I never said it wasn't bad and I never said it wasn't without intent. But if putting everything back on the officiating is the mindset then why show up and why keep complaining? Why even play? I guess I'm in the minority when I say to beat your opponent and whatever crooked officials there may be you have to take accountability for yourself and quit blaming someone else.  It can be overcome. It has been overcome. They did it in New York and we're doing it in Boston. The X factor last night was the poor recognition and execution on the part of the players and the coaches.

6 hours ago, BtownStrength said:

From the few instances I have seen like this, Carlisle does not believe in fouling up 3. Controversial take in today's game, but he sticks to it and got burned. 

He said the plan was to foul but Brown was pretty much a catch and shoot. There was no way of fouling in that spot because he would have been in shooting motion and got 3 foul shots or a 4 point play

I think the reason the Pacers lost is the 21 turnovers. I also question how a team that shoots 45 3's can still get 30 free throws throws. Pacers hit 53 sors to Boston's 47, Boston hit 15 3's to the Pacers 13. Boston hit 24 free throws to the Pacers 9. So turnovers and and free throws were the only category that Boston won.

I see people say if we **** more free throws early the game wouldn't have came down the last 10 seconds which could be true. Also if you only had 14 turnovers you would have had 7 more shots. With how the Pacers are shooting that could have been 4 more shots hit for at least 8 points if not more.

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I never said it wasn't bad and I never said it wasn't without intent. But if putting everything back on the officiating is the mindset then why show up and why keep complaining? Why even play? 

The better question is why even watch?  Last night was a perfect example of why I don't typically tune into the NBA and probably won't bother for the rest of the year.  

If one-sided reffing is a given and to be expected, then I'm fine with letting others watching.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

The better question is why even watch?  Last night was a perfect example of why I don't typically tune into the NBA and probably won't bother for the rest of the year.  

If one-sided reffing is a given and to be expected, then I'm fine with letting others watching.

I'm in step with you there, and the only reason I can think of is I'm purely a glutton for punishment. That and I know basketball is about to go away for many months. Off season bores and saddens me lol.

31 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

He said the plan was to foul but Brown was pretty much a catch and shoot. There was no way of fouling in that spot because he would have been in shooting motion and got 3 foul shots or a 4 point play

They badly needed to switch on the screen for brown going to the corner. That's how he got a catch and shoot.

On 5/22/2024 at 3:44 PM, Scotty R said:

I think the reason the Pacers lost is the 21 turnovers. I also question how a team that shoots 45 3's can still get 30 free throws throws. Pacers hit 53 sors to Boston's 47, Boston hit 15 3's to the Pacers 13. Boston hit 24 free throws to the Pacers 9. So turnovers and and free throws were the only category that Boston won.

I see people say if we **** more free throws early the game wouldn't have came down the last 10 seconds which could be true. Also if you only had 14 turnovers you would have had 7 more shots. With how the Pacers are shooting that could have been 4 more shots hit for at least 8 points if not more.

The FT disparity was glaring and really looked one-sided. P’s should have won.

That said that boneheaded TO when they had the ball and were running up the court at the end of regulation with the game pretty much in the bag, and the inbound play where they flat out blew it and knocked the ball back out of bounds on the base line, and then Siakim’s failure to foul before the 3 at the end of regulation— you can’t win on the road in the playoffs making these kind of mistakes— still a young team