Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Interestingly enough ... for combine measurables, it's true! FWIW, KelEl kicked both of their ***** in pretty much every category and can hit many more types of NBA shots. Also interesting; even though Edey is taller and has a longer wingspan, Clingan has just as long of a measured vertical standing reach. Edey might have a little bit of Todd Lindeman long neck syndrome.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edey had Clingan in all categories.

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But Clingan was right near the absolute worst in every quickness/agility category.

1. Two thoughts - Quickness of reaction during a game is VERY different than times during a drill in a gym. "The mental is to the physical as four is to one." RMK. Edey has always had an issue with being tentative on defense. The mental quick-twitch matters too. Ware absolutely destroyed the other bigs in all quickness/agility drills, and while I think he is above average for his height, I thought Clingan was better at anchoring the defense.
  2. Edey is a lurch-like ugly-@$$ Purdud mother****er who will be a complete bust because he will never be able to erase the Purdoo stink from his DNA.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Somehow I don't think you're evaluating talent and contribution potential like NBA managers....

It's going to be interesting to see what Frankenstein is able to do in the League. He may carve out a solid and lengthy bench role. I see that as his upside. There are so many NBA bigs who should have a field day with him, imo.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

But Clingan was right near the absolute worst in every quickness/agility category.

1. Two thoughts - Quickness of reaction during a game is VERY different than times during a drill in a gym. "The mental is to the physical as four is to one." RMK. Edey has always had an issue with being tentative on defense. The mental quick-twitch matters too. Ware absolutely destroyed the other bigs in all quickness/agility drills, and while I think he is above average for his height, I thought Clingan was better at anchoring the defense.
  2. Edey is a lurch-like ugly-@$$ Purdud mother****er who will be a complete bust because he will never be able to erase the Purdoo stink from his DNA.

Edey improved a ton in mobility last year and took Clingan to school in the national title game(Edey just had zero help). I get it's fun to hate on Purdue and everything but the "he's too slow" argument is absolutely ridiculous when trying to argue in favor of Clingan who is clearly less mobile than Edey.

And Ware did murder the combine. I think that's why he went from late 1st/2nd to 15th.

19 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Somehow I don't think you're evaluating talent and contribution potential like NBA managers....

It's going to be interesting to see what Frankenstein is able to do in the League. He may carve out a solid and lengthy bench role. I see that as his upside. There are so many NBA bigs who should have a field day with him, imo.

I get Clingan. He is Walker Kessler. Won't demand the ball, set screens, protect the rim. I get Edey because he can do those things but also has a polished offensive game if needed and he's just massive. I don't know how good Edey will actually be, that'll depend on the team and system Memphis runs with him. But Edey is going to have a great chance to start with Ja, Bane and Jackson.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Edey improved a ton in mobility last year and took Clingan to school in the national title game(Edey just had zero help). I get it's fun to hate on Purdue and everything but the "he's too slow" argument is absolutely ridiculous when trying to argue in favor of Clingan who is clearly less mobile than Edey.

And Ware did murder the combine. I think that's why he went from late 1st/2nd to 15th.

As quoted: I didn't change a word of your post, but I thought it might read better if I edited the font size.

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The combine showed it when Edey was clearly more athletic in every drill.

Drill being the operative word.  

The funny thing to me is you use 'other teams didn't see it' in terms of Collier's draft position, but Clingan was drafted before Edey -- and Edey's draft position was well above any mock.

In terms of fit with Memphis, I don't see it -- especially if they are planning to play Jackson alongside Edey.  Teams will push pace against that duo to death and force Jackson to guard the perimeter where he can be exposed.

Maybe it works for Edey when he is on the floor and Jackson isn't.  The Grizzlies have a conundrum with Jackson -- he can score and can shoot some but when they've had to play him at center he's probably the worst rebounding center in the league.  I'm just not sure having a lumbering center in Edey, pushing Jackson to the 4 where he would be taken off the bounce by tons of NBA 4's is going to work.

In terms of Clingan, one thing I will also say:  I'm not convinced he won't be an NBA bust either.  He is two years younger than Edey, though, and that means something.

The more I think about it, Ryan Dunn needs to send Herb Jones a case or several of whatever he drinks. 5 years ago there is no way a defense-only non-center goes in the 1st round. What Jones has done as a defensive widget in NO has changed that if you’re special enough, and Dunn is. Still, Jones didn’t go in rd 1and he brought some offense and Dunn is nothing but a runner/cutter/finisher. Phoenix is probably as good a spot as any, but I don’t know if I want that degree of specialization unless it’s shooting.

53 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Drill being the operative word.  

The funny thing to me is you use 'other teams didn't see it' in terms of Collier's draft position, but Clingan was drafted before Edey -- and Edey's draft position was well above any mock.

In terms of fit with Memphis, I don't see it -- especially if they are planning to play Jackson alongside Edey.  Teams will push pace against that duo to death and force Jackson to guard the perimeter where he can be exposed.

Maybe it works for Edey when he is on the floor and Jackson isn't.  The Grizzlies have a conundrum with Jackson -- he can score and can shoot some but when they've had to play him at center he's probably the worst rebounding center in the league.  I'm just not sure having a lumbering center in Edey, pushing Jackson to the 4 where he would be taken off the bounce by tons of NBA 4's is going to work.

In terms of Clingan, one thing I will also say:  I'm not convinced he won't be an NBA bust either.  He is two years younger than Edey, though, and that means something.

Jackson already played the 4 beforehand when the Valanciunas and when Steven Adams was healthy. The 4 is where Jackson has actually been at his best. He won DPOY and started at the 4 for 2/3 of the season. And offensively he doesn't want to be in the paint anyways as he likes to be on the perimeter shooting 3s. It's literally the best situation for him to have Adams healthy and Edey to play the 5.

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The combine showed it when Edey was clearly more athletic in every drill.

I'm kinda with you on this one. 15-20 years ago(or longer), Edey would have been a top 5 pick. If I'm a GM, I'm taking this kid. Professional sports runs in cycles(copycat), and you have a 2x POY, why not take him. If he can score around the basket at about a 60-70% clip, and the guy he's guarding hits 3's at a 25-35% mark, I like my odds. Would love to get the game back to where a traditional big can succeed in the league. 

Speaking of agility and maneuverability,  not many can say they played basketball and hockey with pretty good success. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

To me Edey seems like a roll of the dice with a high payout if he hits. That makes him a far better draft pick than many beyond the first five picks in any year.

He could also be a 300 lb bust who is arrested along with Morant, which would be just fine with me.

I don't think there could be a more hilarious situation than Zach Edey getting arrested.

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think there could be a more hilarious situation than Zach Edey getting arrested.

Ja and Edey investigation:

Memphis Police Detetctive: "Ma'am. Can you tell me what the two guys who robbed the bank looked like?"

Witness: "One was 6'2", had lots of weapons, and reaally fast. Like really really fast. The other was eight feet tall, constantly flailing his elbows, and kinda slow, but not quite as slow as Donovan Clingan."

Memphis Police Detective: "Hmmmmm ... I think we have a theory on this one." 

47 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Ja and Edey investigation:

Memphis Police Detetctive: "Ma'am. Can you tell me what the two guys who robbed the bank looked like?"

Witness: "One was 6'2", had lots of weapons, and reaally fast. Like really really fast. The other was eight feet tall, constantly flailing his elbows, and kinda slow, but not quite as slow as Donovan Clingan."

Memphis Police Detective: "Hmmmmm ... I think we have a theory on this one." 

Sounds like a terrible remake of Twins

Wow, the picture ESPN is using of Ariel Hukporti, the last pick n the draft who’s 22, makes him look like a 40yo man announcing his retirement. Seriously, if they use that exact picture in 2040 when that dude is calling it a career no one is gonna realize it.