Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

April still in boot.

I guess I've become a softie in my old age. I feel bad for kids like April and Priller who come to IU with big dreams and may only be here one season on the bench. If that is the case, I hope they find other schools where they will get a chance to play.

For players like them even if they just get a handful of minutes over one season they'll have greatly improved their stock by being here. If they decide to transfer away I can almost guarantee it will be to somewhere better than Incarnate Word and they'll be better off for the year they spent in such a well-publicized program.

That's not the case for people who were being legitimately recruited and commit somewhere without being used. I feel bad for those guys.

I agree that Hanner's progress will be the key.I also think he should have played more last year. i would say that was a Crean thing along with the mob subbing  and the lack of successful inbound plays.I'm not anti Crean by any means but hope that kind of coaching is over.If not maybe it is time to sharpen the forks.

I couldn't agree more. The sub patterns single-handedly lost us the game against Northwestern. I compare Crean to Jason Garrett with the Cowboys in the sense that he tries to be the smartest man in the room far too often. He over-analyzes a game situation and as a result ruins the flow of the game. There's two things Crean is absolutely awful at: substitution patterns and playing through bigs. He's also horrible with figuring out how to play against a zone. I think he needs to take a step back and evaluate those things and trust his assistants. I know this is hyperbole but I absolutely would rather McClain, Buckley, and Martin to teach our players how to execute against a zone over Crean. 

I couldn't agree more. The sub patterns single-handedly lost us the game against Northwestern. I compare Crean to Jason Garrett with the Cowboys in the sense that he tries to be the smartest man in the room far too often. He over-analyzes a game situation and as a result ruins the flow of the game. There's two things Crean is absolutely awful at: substitution patterns and playing through bigs. He's also horrible with figuring out how to play against a zone. I think he needs to take a step back and evaluate those things and trust his assistants. I know this is hyperbole but I absolutely would rather McClain, Buckley, and Martin to teach our players how to execute against a zone over Crean.

I agree with everything you say. The big problem is how does he get better at those as well as numerous others I could list? In say 20 years of coaching, I would say its systemic just by watching him in 6 years at IU. IU is not a location to learn head coaching on the job. Just ask Mike Davis.

ha-ha no apology needed. Also, any meaning behind the user name besides the obvious. I ask because Hoosier Hoops was a pretty prominent AAU program back in the day in Indiana (southern mostly) before merging/forming Indiana Red. Didn't know if you shared a link to the program?

Fair enough!

I have no link to them, although I am from Southern Indiana

I agree with everything you say. The big problem is how does he get better at those as well as numerous others I could list? In say 20 years of coaching, I would say its systemic just by watching him in 6 years at IU. IU is not a location to learn head coaching on the job. Just ask Mike Davis.

I guess you just have to wonder how many times someone runs in to a wall before trying to find a door. We have had good seasons under Crean so he's not completely lost. I just think he needs to adjust 

I sincerely hope Crean can adjust. I'm not looking forward to IU going through another coaching change, especially since there seems to be no hot "young-but-proven" coach just waiting to come to Bloomington.

With the new facilities and Simon $ to renuvate Assembly Hall, I respectfully disagree. While there may not be a huge quantity of coaches that meet your exact criteria, I could name a few current college coaches that would be more than interested. Also, I think there would be more than a few pro coaches interested to give a nice, collective pool to consider. Indiana is and will always be a destination job.

With the new facilities and Simon $ to renuvate Assembly Hall, I respectfully disagree. While there may not be a huge quantity of coaches that meet your exact criteria, I could name a few current college coaches that would be more than interested. Also, I think there would be more than a few pro coaches interested to give a nice, collective pool to consider. Indiana is and will always be a destination job.

Can you though? Unless you know them personally, there really is no one out there who, like Brad Stevens, has said their dream job is IU who would also be in a position to take this program past that Sweet Sixteen ceiling Crean has hit.

I also struggle to believe there are good pro coaches who could transition their style to college looking to drop back down into college basketball. Regardless of whether you enjoy college or the NBA more, the NBA is still the most prestigious level of competition and has the highest potential pay out for a coach.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Can you though? Unless you know them personally, there really is no one out there who, like Brad Stevens, has said their dream job is IU who would also be in a position to take this program past that Sweet Sixteen ceiling Crean has hit.

I also struggle to believe there are good pro coaches who could transition their style to college looking to drop back down into college basketball. Regardless of whether you enjoy college or the NBA more, the NBA is still the most prestigious level of competition and has the highest potential pay out for a coach.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I agree with the first part, but not the second. If you can become a truly great college coach, then you have a much higher ceiling that you do in the NBA. Coach K going to the NBA would be a step down. If you're in the NBA and think you can come back and be a household name with a great program, then you're going to do it.

I don't think that anyone we would want IS looking to make that step, but it's there. We're in a better position than we were when we hired Crean, so it won't be quite so terrible, but I don't think the pool is as deep as people think at the moment.

But, what do I know? I think we would have already mostly secured who we were interested in before we fired Crean anyway, so if it happens then there's probably a plan.

Hey now---I am not the president of the sunshine pumpers (only the vice president---lol)---but even I know Crean will get 1 to 2 more years to show he can win bigger. Personally---I would only give him 1 more like last year and his contract would be be bought out. I still think he gets it done but there is no sense thinking about a coaching change unless there is a better replacement as we don't need to rebuild yet again.  If we tank this year and Coach is replaced----it better be a homerun hire or you will see our fanbase continue to unravel.

Coach Crean has earned my support this year and I hope he finishes the job he started and I believe he will! Go IU!

Hey now---I am not the president of the sunshine pumpers (only the vice president---lol)---but even I know Crean will get 1 to 2 more years to show he can win bigger. Personally---I would only give him 1 more like last year and his contract would be be bought out. I still think he gets it done but there is no sense thinking about a coaching change unless there is a better replacement as we don't need to rebuild yet again. If we tank this year and Coach is replaced----it better be a homerun hire or you will see our fanbase continue to unravel.

Coach Crean has earned my support this year and I hope he finishes the job he started and I believe he will! Go IU!

How do you know he will get 2 more years? Not bashing at all but I was curious.

I have my doubts about him as coach but I strongly believe this years team bounces back in a big way. Expecting top 5 in conference and a solid showing in NCAA. That would correspond to having more time to build on that and I would be supportive of him as coach.

If, however, I am wrong and the outside experts are right, and we finish around 8 or 9th then I think he will be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with the first part, but not the second. If you can become a truly great college coach, then you have a much higher ceiling that you do in the NBA. Coach K going to the NBA would be a step down. If you're in the NBA and think you can come back and be a household name with a great program, then you're going to do it.

I don't think that anyone we would want IS looking to make that step, but it's there. We're in a better position than we were when we hired Crean, so it won't be quite so terrible, but I don't think the pool is as deep as people think at the moment.

But, what do I know? I think we would have already mostly secured who we were interested in before we fired Crean anyway, so if it happens then there's probably a plan.

The average NBA coach makes around $3.5 million ( the average college coach in the tournament last year, presumably a higher caliber group of coaches, only averaged $1.5 million, but it ranged from $171,000-$9.7mil. (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2014/04/02/usatoday-college-basketball-coaches-salaries-database/7214659/)

Point being, for a NBA coach to come to IU, he would most likely have to sacrifice short term financial benefits with very little chance of reaching Coach K type earnings. I don't believe you will find a NBA coach out there willing to take that risk.

How do you know he will get 2 more years? Not bashing at all but I was curious.

I have my doubts about him as coach but I strongly believe this years team bounces back in a big way. Expecting top 5 in conference and a solid showing in NCAA. That would correspond to having more time to build on that and I would be supportive of him as coach.

If, however, I am wrong and the outside experts are right, and we finish around 8 or 9th then I think he will be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If we finish 7th on under in what looks to be a slightly weaker league than I agree its buyout time.

That being said this looks to be the kind of roster that CTC has had success with so I really think we will surprise.

I also agree with Rebel that if it comes to a hire it had better be  damn good  because we've been thru enough of the other type to last a lifetime. I'm already frayed and fraying fast! :(

Go Hoosiers!

Saw on another site April may have said he will be out of the boot by Hysteria......Anybody else hearing anything?

I'm guessing he is only in it for precautionary measures. Hanner and Vonhleh both wore boots ALOT last year between games and still played.

The average NBA coach makes around $3.5 million ( the average college coach in the tournament last year, presumably a higher caliber group of coaches, only averaged $1.5 million, but it ranged from $171,000-$9.7mil. (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2014/04/02/usatoday-college-basketball-coaches-salaries-database/7214659/)

Point being, for a NBA coach to come to IU, he would most likely have to sacrifice short term financial benefits with very little chance of reaching Coach K type earnings. I don't believe you will find a NBA coach out there willing to take that risk.

But, those numbers just reinforce my point. There is a higher ceiling in college than the NBA. There's just a lower floor too, so averages don't really work. Crean makes $3.2 million before bonuses for fewer than 40 games a year and isn't even doing that well. Frank Vogel makes $2 million for 82 games before the play-offs. Which position would you rather be in?

Now the risk is staying in the NBA and hoping you become Doc Rivers or going to the NCAA and at least making it to be NC State's Mark Gottfried and clear $2 million as one of the top 20 coaches in the Tourney last year (almost as many Tourney coaches paid over 2 million as there are NBA teams.)

The top 29 coaches in the Tourney last year (which remember, ignores coaches we know make more like Crean) made an average of $2,924,199 base or 3,432,549 with bonuses. Pretty on par with the NBA. 

Not trying to stir the pot, but I spoke with someone close to the team this past weekend who has been in on practices/workout's etc. I asked him about April, Priller and Holt and his responses were less than encouraging. He compared April's skill set to Peter Jurkin, and even said Peter was more polished in certain areas, was not very complimentary of Priller and said Holt was comparable to Devin Davis. Went on to say that he thinks only 1 of the 3 will be on IU's roster next season.

True

In the gym

But, those numbers just reinforce my point. There is a higher ceiling in college than the NBA. There's just a lower floor too, so averages don't really work. Crean makes $3.2 million before bonuses for fewer than 40 games a year and isn't even doing that well. Frank Vogel makes $2 million for 82 games before the play-offs. Which position would you rather be in?
Now the risk is staying in the NBA and hoping you become Doc Rivers or going to the NCAA and at least making it to be NC State's Mark Gottfried and clear $2 million as one of the top 20 coaches in the Tourney last year (almost as many Tourney coaches paid over 2 million as there are NBA teams.)

The top 29 coaches in the Tourney last year (which remember, ignores coaches we know make more like Crean) made an average of $2,924,199 base or 3,432,549 with bonuses. Pretty on par with the NBA.

Crean makes 3.2 million before bonuses? Yikes. That kind of change would attract the best of the best.