Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) JUCO PF Ray Kasongo

[quote name="TheWatShot" post="79008" timestamp="1408239488"]It's the middle of August and we're bummed about not getting a player who couldn't get into Oregon while still recruiting players who start classes in a few days.

Strange times. [/quote]
I think people are bummed cause this kid can play and could of contributed right away. Time of the year has 0 to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think people are bummed cause this kid can play and could of contributed right away. Time of the year has 0 to do with it

Maybe I'm in the minority, but an IU coach who's going into his seventh season shouldn't be scrambling to fill open scholarships in August. If anything, this is just another example of Crean and that artist analogy I made awhile back. 

[quote name="TheWatShot" post="79018" timestamp="1408243265"]Maybe I'm in the minority, but an IU coach who's going into his seventh season shouldn't be scrambling to fill open scholarships in August. If anything, this is just another example of Crean and that artist analogy I made awhile back. [/quote]
Was it really Crean scrambling though? I mean it's not like he called Oregon and was like " Hey please don't let this guy in your program, so we can try to sign him" no Crean saw an opportunity with an above average recruit and tried to get him here on campus.

[quote name="TheWatShot" post="79026" timestamp="1408244811"]Before this happened, there was talk about us bringing in a 7-player class. When you bring in 7 players and 4 of them signed in the spring or later, I consider that scrambling. [/quote]
I completely get where you're coming from, but my only thing is, is that it's not like this guy was a 1 star recruit who had offers from IPFW and St. Francis. This was a solid guy that could of contributed this year. I think Crean saw an opportunity and went for it.

Good Convo going on here guys. I feel that this player became available and Crean knew that he could help us out at a position that we're quite vulnerable at. As for the Spring Signings, IU and many other teams have Spring Signing every year, it's become the norm in College Basketball because of the high transfer rates going on in NCAA Basketball now.

I commend Coach Crean for leaving no stone un turned when it comes to recruiting and Improving this ball club. Kasongo was a very good player that became available at the right time and Crean went for it, and it sounds like Kasongo was very high on IU, but as someone else mentioned, we're not in the position to take on any potential baggage.

So now we go after Holt, and I know many will be opposed to that because of the other schools that have offered him, and I get that. But the fact still remains we have one scholarship left, and we might have the worst Front Line in the B1G, and it's mainly because of depth. We have Jeremiah April who would not play or be red shirted by the majority of other teams in the conference but we can't because of depth. We have an unproven, but highly touted Hanner Parea that averaged 2 points a game last year, and we have an undersized 6'6" power forward in Devin Davis. I'm not counting Max Hoetzel, Tim Priller or Troy Williams as options because I consider them wings.

So for the mere fact of being prepared in case an injury occurs to one of your 3 forwards on the roster, I think that Coach Crean has to use his last scholly on any kind of Front Court player. It honestly could be the difference between NIT and NCAA Tourney.

I shouldn't be, but surprised some of you guys still care about what schools are recruiting a player. Coaches don't look at Rivals or Scout to see where a kid is rated or who is recruiting him because both are often largely inaccurate. Victor Oladipo had one offer other than Indiana and Maryland. Should we have passed on him?

Guys can come from anywhere, even a playground. Who is to say Emmitt Holt isn't getting ready to bloom? Tom Crean has a pretty good track record here...

I shouldn't be, but surprised some of you guys still care about what schools are recruiting a player. Coaches don't look at Rivals or Scout to see where a kid is rated or who is recruiting him because both are often largely inaccurate. Victor Oladipo had one offer other than Indiana and Maryland. Should we have passed on him?

Guys can come from anywhere, even a playground. Who is to say Emmitt Holt isn't getting ready to bloom? Tom Crean has a pretty good track record here...

Yeah, that's not true on Vic.  He had offers from Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Pitt and others.  Those aren't on the same level of an IU (neither is Maryland), or where we should be, but that is a pretty solid list.

Rankings are far from a science, but generally there is degree of accuracy.  If no one has ever heard of a recruit, there is probably a reason.  If a recruit ONLY has offers from small programs, there is probably a reason.