Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2015) SF Ogugua Anunoby to IU

Dude Shaq went for 36 and 12 in that game. We had a team. They had Shaq. Not sure that's the game I would cite to prove a point where an undersized center could help us win. If Shaq had a team half as good as we had that season we may lose. Plus the games are called way different now vs then. They don't allow you to body up very much and you can't grab at all. That is why someone as athletically gifted as Hanner gets into foul trouble regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That was the game plan. Too many teams went at Shaq trying to stop him or shut him down and they would get blown out. Knights game plan? Let Shaq get his points and just shut everyone else on his team down. Shaq wasn't going to beat IU all by himself..and he didn't 

Dude Shaq went for 36 and 12 in that game. We had a team. They had Shaq. Not sure that's the game I would cite to prove a point where an undersized center could help us win. If Shaq had a team half as good as we had that season we may lose. Plus the games are called way different now vs then. They don't allow you to body up very much and you can't grab at all. That is why someone as athletically gifted as Hanner gets into foul trouble regularly.

No it works. We got to the FF without a big and even survived Shaquille going like 10-10 from free throws. If the rest of our team is as good as advertised we can still be good. Not FF good but top 25 good.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Someone help me out with OG. He's got some high major interest, and I see a lot of people talking pretty glowingly about him. I don't know anything about the kid, other than that he's an unranked 3-star. Has he not been seen by scouts? Didn't play AAU? Or is there some other reason he he's been under the radar with Rivals, Scout, 247, etc?

I don't mean to question the kid or our recruitment of him. I just honestly don't know why he's ranked where he is (or isn't) given what else I've read about him, which is admittedly not much.

I think it just the classic case of someone getting big late. Coach Crean is personally heading his recruitment if that says anything. According to Og's coach, Crean has compared his talent and potential to that of Oladipo's. According to his coaches, he is from a really small town and simply not a lot of coaches get out to see him play. He did play AAU this last year and his AAU team did very well so thats why his recruitment has started to pick up. If you search his name on youtube you will find some videos of him

No it works. We got to the FF without a big and even survived Shaquille going like 10-10 from free throws. If the rest of our team is as good as advertised we can still be good. Not FF good but top 25 good.

I do think we will be better than preseason rankings suggest. I don't want to turn this into a Crean vs Knight or era vs era argument but I have difficulties seeing a team constructed like we have with a pace we play overcoming a team with a quality big. Could that Knight team overcome 20 turnovers with Shaq's 36 and 12 with Nover getting called for hand checks? We did it back then with precision. I think with modern rules Shaq shoots 20 free throws. Our team today would have to hit over 45% of their shots and 15 3s to have a chance without Hanner fouling out.

I do think we will be better than preseason rankings suggest. I don't want to turn this into a Crean vs Knight or era vs era argument but I have difficulties seeing a team constructed like we have with a pace we play overcoming a team with a quality big. Could that Knight team overcome 20 turnovers with Shaq's 36 and 12 with Nover getting called for hand checks? We did it back then with precision. I think with modern rules Shaq shoots 20 free throws. Our team today would have to hit over 45% of their shots and 15 3s to have a chance without Hanner fouling out.

I think those gaps are what separate the top teams from the top 25 ish where we can get to. Cheaney, Graham and crew were more experience than our top kids but if they can compete well this year and win a game in the NCAA then the following year we might be able to make a bigger leap.

I am not a rainbow guy but I think we really should be one of those teams on the cusp of breaking through this year.

That was the game plan. Too many teams went at Shaq trying to stop him or shut him down and they would get blown out. Knights game plan? Let Shaq get his points and just shut everyone else on his team down. Shaq wasn't going to beat IU all by himself..and he didn't 

Although, Shaq, yes THE Shaquille O'Neil, set the record for FREE THROWS by an Indiana opponent, going 12-12.

I'm fine with picking up OG, but if people start comparing him with Vic, I'm gone. Unfair to him. And probably not true.

Just not feeling Hovaholt?

Remember Matt Nover? He was 6'8" and played center for IU. He even had to guard Shaquille in the tourney (we won). Nover was not a prototypical center and was not really much better than Hanner except he could stay away from fouls.
It helped that he had Henderson at PF but as a center Nover helped get us to a FF.
We can be good without a stud Center if our shooters and scorers can score.

Up to now, Nover was much better than Hanner. If Hanner proves he can play more than 5 minutes without foul trouble, he will have improved greatly. Having Henderson on that team helped is a huge understatement since we have no one anywhere near close to Alans scoring or rebounding. That team was solid top to bottom and Nover and Hanner not good comparisons imo. Their height comparable but nothing else.

Remember Matt Nover? He was 6'8" and played center for IU. He even had to guard Shaquille in the tourney (we won). Nover was not a prototypical center and was not really much better than Hanner except he could stay away from fouls.

It helped that he had Henderson at PF but as a center Nover helped get us to a FF.

We can be good without a stud Center if our shooters and scorers can score.

It just so happens that I watched that entire game on YouTube at work on Wednesday and Nover got abused by shaq. We brought In Eric Anderson early and often to help as well as Henderson and doubled and sometimes tripled shaq everytime.

We won because Knight destroyed that zone with Nover flashing to the middle of the paint and dishing or shooting immediately and Anderson and Henderson making virtually every bucket from the baseline.

I'm fine with picking up OG, but if people start comparing him with Vic, I'm gone. Unfair to him. And probably not true.

According to OG's coach, Crean said he got as excited watching OG as he did when he was recruiting Oladipo.