Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2015) SF Ogugua Anunoby to IU

No his shooting comes from all his stats added with video. I know you have your mind made up and nothing is going to change it but Im just saying Id rather have someone who can put the ball in the bucket (Priller) than someone who didn't account for anything on offense (your example of Howard)

You realize that Howard averaged 17/13 and Priller averaged 17/5 in high school right? If priller is an offensive weapon than so was Howard

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ummm---Howard could never shoot outside as well as Priller can !

However---Howard is a good example of a player who developed after a few years in our program into a contributor.  There is no reason at this time to doubt that Priller can do the same thing if given the chance!

While I have a great deal of respect for Tim Howard and anybody that's a walk-on, Howard being a contributor was part of the problem last year not the solution. The fact that he at times deserved to play ahead of guys like Hollowell, Perea and Davis, was the problem.

Ummm---Howard could never shoot outside as well as Priller can !

However---Howard is a good example of a player who developed after a few years in our program into a contributor.  There is no reason at this time to doubt that Priller can do the same thing if given the chance!

While I have a great deal of respect for Tim Howard and anybody that's a walk-on, Howard being a contributor was part of the problem last year not the solution. The fact that he at times deserved to play ahead of guys like Hollowell, Perea and Davis, was the problem.

While I understand and agree with your point, you probably meant Jeff Howard, not Tim. We need Hanner to be a Tim Howard near the rim!

But experience is important too!

Howard may not have come in as highly recruited or acclaimed as a walk-on but he worked his tail off and became a contributor over more athletically gifted or skilled players. Part of that was his seasoning and development and time in the program.

I agree though that some of it was the lack of progress by other higher rated players.

My point is you need players like Priller that know they are not likely to be starters but who can work hard---push players in practice----go in for special situations for a 3 ball---and who get a chance to develop into solid contributors as upperclassmen.

That's always been the IU Way!  If we become a school that changes our entire roster year after year and don't allow players---especially bigs----to develop----that's a recipe for mediocrity.

Agree with your overall point, but those role player, upperclassmen guys need to be more talented than Howard and what many of us are suggesting Priller will be if they're going to contribute to a contending team.

But experience is important too!

Howard may not have come in as highly recruited or acclaimed as a walk-on but he worked his tail off and became a contributor over more athletically gifted or skilled players. Part of that was his seasoning and development and time in the program.

I agree though that some of it was the lack of progress by other higher rated players.

My point is you need players like Priller that know they are not likely to be starters but who can work hard---push players in practice----go in for special situations for a 3 ball---and who get a chance to develop into solid contributors as upperclassmen.

That's always been the IU Way!  If we become a school that changes our entire roster year after year and don't allow players---especially bigs----to develop----that's a recipe for mediocrity.

Fair enough BGleas---time will tell on that one....

And before some of our fellow posters throw a hissy---the same discussion applies to OG as well.  He may not be ranked the highest but with development and experience his ceiling is high.

Where I do agree with you BGleas---is that we cannot have a team full of players who are all diamonds in the rough and who are not ready to be starters.  If we did--- we would be Purdue!

Do you have some OG news to share---djsalway? We may get a little off-topic sometimes but at least we keep on posting!

i would say that this OG thread while a little off topic is not too far off. The discussion of late has been "where does OG's scholarship come from?"

i would say that this OG thread while a little off topic is not too far off. The discussion of late has been "where does OG's scholarship come from?"

perfect point. Conscious stream of thought. Not too far off topic. Oh, and BTW OG is a legit prospect that has upside. Recognized in the FALL prior to his Senior season. Another reason, he is not like April and Priller.

And another BTW I think Howard is a fair comparison (upside-wise) to Priller. Except Howard is better from what I've heard.

Also, people take this as player bashing. It is not. We are happy for these kids but question the "higher ups" for their decision making.

For those that know me, I've said the same things about the Hartman signing all along too. Am I right? Likely!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I agree WayneFleek that OG has a high ceiling and has a special skill---elite athleticism---that makes him a great recruit but as much as I like him---I also admit he is not a likely starter next year if he commits.

I just think Priller and April have special skills as well.  Priller is a big who can absolutely light it up from outside and April is a big who has great size and passing. 

I just don't understand why everyone thinks they are somehow inferior before they even play a game.

Crean is better at identifying talent earlier than a lot of other coaches and I see no reason why that cannot be true for Priller and April (and Z3 who everyone is now conveniently deleting from their criticism after the Canadian trip).

Time will tell. Just my opinion.  I will always give our players the benefit of the doubt until I am shown otherwise!

perfect point. Conscious stream of thought. Not too far off topic. Oh, and BTW OG is a legit prospect that has upside. Recognized in the FALL prior to his Senior season. Another reason, he is not like April and Priller.

And another BTW I think Howard is a fair comparison (upside-wise) to Priller. Except Howard is better from what I've heard.

Also, people take this as player bashing. It is not. We are happy for these kids but question the "higher ups" for their decision making.

For those that know me, I've said the same things about the Hartman signing all along too. Am I right? Likely!

I don't think Howard and Priller are a comparison at all. Howard was a post player and I think Priller's is more of a stretch 4/5. He is going to spend most of his time hitting jump shots and hitting the 3. While Howard was more of a garbage man down low for rebounds. But I do understand what you mean

The picture in this ITH article is of OG being guarded by Juwan Morgan. http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/10/06/2015-forward-o-g-anunoby-closing-in-on-decision/

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Whoa! That's pretty cool that Morgan and OG have gone head to head!

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I don't think Howard and Priller are a comparison at all. Howard was a post player and I think Priller's is more of a stretch 4/5. He is going to spend most of his time hitting jump shots and hitting the 3. While Howard was more of a garbage man down low for rebounds. But I do understand what you mean

I understand your point too. They do have different skill sets. My comparison and connection relates to upside, athleticism, national recognition, etc...

In addition to other sources, my man basketball4iu has stated publicly that April and Priller are very far behind and plain not very good. I am not basing everything on that claim but it fits in to support everything else.

I would love as much as anything for these guys to prove us all wrong but do I want to give 4 years of scholarship to get "Jeff Howard" like production for a season or 2? No.