Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hoosier_Cat_42

Tom Crean piss and moan thread with a little sunshine (lol)

Boy I sure hope you are right......with the way I have seen players progress in this system....I only have full confidence in one player currently on this team (yogi) after that...its a whole bunch of ?'s

[quote name="Feaskb01" post="59270" timestamp="1397309827"]Boy I sure hope you are right......with the way I have seen players progress in this system....I only have full confidence in one player currently on this team (yogi) after that...its a whole bunch of ?'s[/quote]

You don't think players have progressed at all in this system? Or is that only based off "the movement" and Etherington?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I do like the optimism here. That being said, I have also viewed many references to becoming a full on transition team. We are already there. Indiana does not use big men in any traditional way. Big men that play here at a high level nowadays must run and be able to drive one on one. I don't mind if we start to stray from that. The BigTen thrives on physical bIG man defensive play. If we can land a defensive big man that won't get tossed out of lane or play soft between the blocks...I am fine. We have the scoring on the roster and those arriving. Coach McClain has a shot to really show his defensive chops if we get a defense first big man. Any additional scoring the big provides should be considered gravy (minus free throws.. UK gave everyone a 101 why FT% matters).

I guess what I am getting at is that I don't need a 5star, jump out of the gym, athletic freak for a a big man. I hope we get a guy with a somewhat high level of traditional big man instincts defensively and some working knowledge of the pick and roll. THAT isn't asking too much I think. Stop with the athletes and get a basketball player for the 5.

I think that our entire roster will contribute next year with the exception of Hartman because of his injury, and of course Peter Jurkin who seems to be IU's version of Greg Oden.  I'm honestly fine with our backcourt, and quite excited about it.  Our forwards I'm also excited for, but acknowledge that we need more.  Troy Williams and hanner Parea will be a nice above the rim tandem and Devin Davis can be a nice lunch pale kinda guy, sort of like a Lynn Washington type of player that we had back in the late 90's.  Like I said earlier, we just need to get, hopefully, 2 more front court players, and then I really think we can be a very formidable team. 

Honestly I think we have upside to surprise. We all know a big in Crean's offense is not a focal point. On top of that we have 4 if not 5 guaranteed talented guards. That is if someone wants to see Rob before they base their opinion. Plus we don't even know who our bigs are. I am not leaning one way or another until I know who is even going to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

A big or two who can play some defense, get some rebounds, and be just capable enough to keep other teams defenses honest and we might surprise a few people next year...even some here. I believe it can happen, I'm undecided if I think it will. I hope it does.

So does it really matter that April and Priller are in the fold now? They aren't going to help out next year anyway. Crean has what's left of last year's team and Blackmon and Johnson to win with. Most people in the basketball world don't think he can. So either he will be gone a year from now or pulled some minor miracle and will buy himself along with these two players another year to develope.

So does it really matter that April and Priller are in the fold now? They aren't going to help out next year anyway. Crean has what's left of last year's team and Blackmon and Johnson to win with. Most people in the basketball world don't think he can. So either he will be gone a year from. ow or pulled some minor miracle and will buy himself along with these two players another year to develope.

A minor miracle? What kind of season exactly do you think he needs to have to keep donors from raising 8 million to ditch him? How many wins? How far in tourneys?

What's funny is the same doom and gloom posters calling for Crean's head will be the same rah rahs. Pumping him up when he wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Hoopster continues to bring value and insight to this forum. I was hoping we'd have a new "Fire Crean" thread.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I seriously don't know where I'd be if I didn't read this extensive analysis. I honestly hope Crean sees this thread so that he can know how important it is that he "wins" next year. I bet he hasn't even thought of that!

So does it really matter that April and Priller are in the fold now? They aren't going to help out next year anyway. Crean has what's left of last year's team and Blackmon and Johnson to win with. Most people in the basketball world don't think he can. So either he will be gone a year from. ow or pulled some minor miracle and will buy himself along with these two players another year to develope.

<br /><br />Let's be honest. You can't spell, and you don't know a damn thing about what you're talking about. Now, that said, IU offers stellar education whereby you can rectify problem #1, and unless your last name becomes Glass, you'll never know what "has" to happen next season, therefore, problem #2 only exists in your mind, and doesn't concern you one bit in the least.<br /><br />My only question for you at this point is this. Who have you spoken with in the "basketball world" that you can definitively say thinks coach can't win with this group? Then, I'd probably have to ask on whose authority do you speak that these two recruits won't help out anyway?<br /><br />I mean, did it come to you in a dream? Were you intoxicated, or otherwise mentally incapacitated when you arrived at these many conclusions? I'm really curious to know what your state of mind was, and what bridge were you standing upon when you decided to make these oh so deep pronouncements?<br /><br />Frankly, I don't mind getting these 2-3 star players. We all know how chasing the rainbow has turned out for us with 4-5 star guys, so how about we just recruit some hard working guys who have flown under the radar? You know, the ones who might actually be inclined to stay a full 4 years? Novel thought, wouldn't you say? <br /><br />Nah, that thought never crossed your mind, though.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What's funny is the same doom and gloom posters calling for Crean's head will be the same rah rahs. Pumping him up when he wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Eh, I doubt it. He has had some pretty strong detractors from day one here. And over the years he has developed some people who really dislike his way of coaching, whether it be his sideline behavior, or his post game stuff of trying to deflect some of the blame away from him. 

I've never really be a fan of his offense even the two years previous to this year. And really I've never thought his defensive systems were all that great personally either, this year might be the one year one of his teams over achieved defensively. 

So does it really matter that April and Priller are in the fold now? They aren't going to help out next year anyway. Crean has what's left of last year's team and Blackmon and Johnson to win with. Most people in the basketball world don't think he can. So either he will be gone a year from now or pulled some minor miracle and will buy himself along with these two players another year to develope.

Who are these people in the basketball world?  Haven't heard that from anyone outside of the IU internet community.