Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Mike Woodson

If we accept mediocrity just to avoid making a change, we'll never get there.  To get there we have to hold ourselves to that standard and measure ourselves by that.

Probably too busy spit shining Crean's Sweet 16 ring.

Stability by itself is not a reason to avoid change, I agree.  It is a bit more complex than that.  I also don't want to see us poison the well of potential candidates by acting rashly if we don't really know our guy is out there and ready to sign on the dotted line.  If and when Glass does the pull the trigger, I expect the entire decision to be well though out and researched and not just, well we have to fire this guy because the rich folks say so and then entrust our program in whatever random "IU guy" is willing to take the job.  I'm always a bit amused by reading posts where people are willing to entrust our program to guys like Cheaney or Fife or whoever.  Nothing against those guys, but I'd like to think our program has enough luster to pursue proven head coaches and not just gambling on the next big thing.  And limiting the search to an "IU guy" seems awfully short-sighted given that the greatest coach in our history was not an IU guy at all until he took the job. 

Stability by itself is not a reason to avoid change, I agree.  It is a bit more complex than that.  I also don't want to see us poison the well of potential candidates by acting rashly if we don't really know our guy is out there and ready to sign on the dotted line.  If and when Glass does the pull the trigger, I expect the entire decision to be well though out and researched and not just, well we have to fire this guy because the rich folks say so and then entrust our program in whatever random "IU guy" is willing to take the job.  I'm always a bit amused by reading posts where people are willing to entrust our program to guys like Cheaney or Fife or whoever.  Nothing against those guys, but I'd like to think our program has enough luster to pursue proven head coaches and not just gambling on the next big thing.  And limiting the search to an "IU guy" seems awfully short-sighted given that the greatest coach in our history was not an IU guy at all until he took the job. 

I agree that it doesn't have to be an IU guy.  If he was part of the family great, but it's not a requirement.  There's really not any IU guys out there I'd trust to take us where we should expect to be.

So, let me get this straight. You would rather have a coach who can't get past the sweet 16 a year ago with 4 1,000 point scorers including two lottery picks. And failed to prove himself again this year by maybe not even being in the NIT with a lottery pick and two players that played on the world university team over the summer. Woodson on the other hand has Carmelo and thats it, like Pablo Prigioni and Raymond Felton is not gonna do you much. Woodson also lead the Hawks to the playoffs for several years before he took the Knicks job. If Crean is fired this year (highly unlikely) and Woodson gets the boot too (almost a given) than Woodson would be the best coach on the market hands down.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Never said that. Said Woodson is far from the right guy for the job is what I said, and don't give me that bull crap that the Knicks don't have enough, they have enough to make the playoffs in what is a historically horrible conference outside of the Pacers and Heat. He is not nearly as good as you make him out to be, you talk about Crean's lack of postseason success, Woodson has made it to the second round and never past it in the NBA. He is nothing special as a coach

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="47766" timestamp="1394853592"]Not going to lock the thread, was just saying that I should since it's a ridiculous idea. I'm not allowed to lock and unlock threads... Just ask Jaybob! Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] I never said that ;) .......city boy Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="mdn82" post="47780" timestamp="1394857541"]Haven't really put my two cents in. I am sure there are feelers out there to see whom is available and all that. Beyond that, I would be very surprised to see Crean leave this year. Just don't think there is a coach with a good name out there IU can get. Lets face it. After this experiment, if IU was to make a change it is for a proven commodity we will strongly overpay. If you have to pay $10 million for a buyout at any point, it is going to be for a top 5 coach. Not Woodson. IMO[/quote]

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There are basically 3 schools of thought...

1.) Keep what you got -  I am not a fan of this, who cares about stability, I don't want to be stable in 8th place in the Big Ten or playing in the NIT. Stability is overrated when it comes to recruits in the longterm... short term maybe you lose a guy or 2 but long term if you are stable in mediocrity then you will get mediocre recruits. 

2.) Go after the Big name - Hard to find that big name that is willing to leave wherever they are. Top 5 coaches don't just up and leave.

3.) Find the NEXT top 5 Coach - You never know where the next one is coming from, try a guy if after 5/6 years he isn't the next great then get rid of him and try again.... It isn't like just throwing darts, there are coaching trees, there are people inside college basketball who have ideas of who MAY be the next great coach... but it isn't a gaurantee either so don't be afraid to miss as long as you are willing to try again.

Overall I am on the fence with Crean, I wouldn't throw a fit if he was bought out but I don't see it happening this year. I LOVE what CTC has done for IU, he has done exactly what he was hired to do (Resurect the program).... but maybe (just maybe) it is time to part ways and hire somebody else to do a different job (National Title)

There are no gaurantees, not Calbert, not Woodson, not Crews, not Stephens, not Crean....

[quote name="Str8Hoosiers" post="47809" timestamp="1394896191"]There are basically 3 schools of thought...
1.) Keep what you got - I am not a fan of this, who cares about stability, I don't want to be stable in 8th place in the Big Ten or playing in the NIT. Stability is overrated when it comes to recruits in the longterm... short term maybe you lose a guy or 2 but long term if you are stable in mediocrity then you will get mediocre recruits.
2.) Go after the Big name - Hard to find that big name that is willing to leave wherever they are. Top 5 coaches don't just up and leave.
3.) Find the NEXT top 5 Coach - You never know where the next one is coming from, try a guy if after 5/6 years he isn't the next great then get rid of him and try again.... It isn't like just throwing darts, there are coaching trees, there are people inside college basketball who have ideas of who MAY be the next great coach... but it isn't a gaurantee either so don't be afraid to miss as long as you are willing to try again.

Overall I am on the fence with Crean, I wouldn't throw a fit if he was bought out but I don't see it happening this year. I LOVE what CTC has done for IU, he has done exactly what he was hired to do (Resurect the program).... but maybe (just maybe) it is time to part ways and hire somebody else to do a different job (National Title)

There are no gaurantees, not Calbert, not Woodson, not Crews, not Stephens, not Crean....[/quote]I just don't think it makes sense to throw that type of money around unless you can get a top coach. If you bring in an unproven coach after that buyout people will expect immediate results. Not only is the pressure on the next coach, it would be on Glass as well. If he bought one more year, the buyout comes down and more named coaches might become available. Glass will effectively put himself behind the 8 ball if he reacts for the sake of reacting. I don't think Crean is the long term solution, but that doesn't make the decision an easy fire. Too many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He is a pretty good example of a guy who limited head coaching experience, in his case no head coaching experience if I remember correctly, working out. I wouldn't be opposed to us trying a young guy like him and giving him a chance. 

Dane Fife? I think he could be a heck of a coach if given the chance. If he were to become Coach at MSU after Izzo retires we would be kicking ourselves for not getting him for IU.

Adding that I know he isn't ready right now but in a couple of years he could be. I think Crean will be here next year at the minimum and if he does well next year he will probably be off the hot seat.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="47789" timestamp="1394860353"]I agree that it doesn't have to be an IU guy. If he was part of the family great, but it's not a requirement. There's really not any IU guys out there I'd trust to take us where we should expect to be.[/quote]

I personally will be PISSED if we hire any former Hoosier. We need to stop looking back and start moving forward.

I just don't think it makes sense to throw that type of money around unless you can get a top coach. If you bring in an unproven coach after that buyout people will expect immediate results. Not only is the pressure on the next coach, it would be on Glass as well. If he bought one more year, the buyout comes down and more named coaches might become available. Glass will effectively put himself behind the 8 ball if he reacts for the sake of reacting. I don't think Crean is the long term solution, but that doesn't make the decision an easy fire. Too many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We are still talking about IU basketball right? Would there ever be a time under any circumstances that a new coach (proven or unproven) comes to IU and people don't expect immediate results.... I guess one could argue Crean didn't have that pressure but if we ever go back that low.... And even with that being said he may not have had immediate pressure to get a title but he had immedite pressure to get us back on the right track.

I agree, too many variables right now but to think any new coach for IU would get a pass for a few years is not the IU way.

You don't make a move on Crean right now unless you absolutely, 100% know the RIGHT GUY to replace him is there and is already interested through back channels.  And to me, that right guy is NOT Mike Woodson.  Firing Crean for one bad season following the results he got the previous two seasons, that doesn't sit right with me.  I'm far from a Crean apologist, I am realistic about his flaws.  But he absolutely should get another season at the very least.  Personally I feel embarrassed as a fan and alumni of Indiana University to see this kind of story/rumor/whatever being put out there in the national media.  It is Mickey Mouse BS in my humble opinion.  Whoever fed this "info" to the NY paper should be ashamed of themselves. 

I agree with this 100%.  The man deserves the next season to see what he can do with all the tools in place.  However nothing less then an elite eight will get me to back him up for other seasons.  I don't think there is a a great replacement right now and I can live with Crean until options open up.  

What I do worry about is the administration of our program.  I really hope they get a better system in place for discovering good coaching talent.  I think the Crean hire in my opinion was a conservative hire, who had history but never really stood out from other coaches.

I loved Sean Miller and I was hoping for a harder push at the time for a younger coach. 

Let's not forget that Brad Stevens is making 22 million in the NBA and he led two teams to final game of tournament and had two chances to win, but then agin both Pintino and Cal left to coach college so it is possible I think he is our best option. I agree with 41 lets's move forward and forget hiring a former player. Most programs hire within the program and it could have been Calbert Cheney just like it could have Ray McCallum who should have taken over when Knight got fired and not Davis.

Dane Fife? I think he could be a heck of a coach if given the chance. If he were to become Coach at MSU after Izzo retires we would be kicking ourselves for not getting him for IU.

Adding that I know he isn't ready right now but in a couple of years he could be. I think Crean will be here next year at the minimum and if he does well next year he will probably be off the hot seat.

I wanted Fife for the open assistant position.  I thought he could really help on the defensive side.

Let's not forget that Brad Stevens is making 22 million in the NBA and he led two teams to final game of tournament and had two chances to win, but then agin both Pintino and Cal left to coach college so it is possible I think he is our best option. I agree with 41 lets's move forward and forget hiring a former player. Most programs hire within the program and it could have been Calbert Cheney just like it could have Ray McCallum who should have taken over when Knight got fired and not Davis.

I'm confused.  You say forget hiring a former player, and then turn around and say that's what most programs do.  Ray McCallum didn't play for IU, he played for Ball State, and he wasn't an assistant until Sampson was coach.

[quote name="LazOffTheBench" post="47834" timestamp="1394901631"]Does anyone know if Mark Cuban and Mike Woodson are friends? They are the same age and attended IU at the same time.

I'm asking because I wonder why Woodson's name came up in the national media rather than another possible replacement for Crean? There are so many other potential coaching hires for the IU job - if it becomes available - as this thread clearly shows. Does a big-time booster have a connection to Woodson that would make him ( Woodson ) the top candidate?

FWIW, I am on the fence about Crean getting the boot now. I think he should probably coach another season at IU if only to give the "powers-that-be" time to make the best possible choice to replace him. Stevens would be my first choice but I doubt he will be available for several more years.[/quote]

From what I know about Cuban, he isn't a big time booster because he hates everything about the NCAA, so I don't see any reason he would have connections to our next coach. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain he doesn't donate to the sports programs.

[quote name="LazOffTheBench" post="47837" timestamp="1394902335"]Thanks for the info. Cuban's name is so often mentioned in connection with IU that I thought he was one of our big-money guys.[/quote]

He might donate to Kelley, I really don't know about that. I just know that he hates everything that the NCAA does as far as not paying guys and being overall crooked. I'm sure some of his interviews are on youtube or something. They're pretty informative on how he feels about it and they're funny because he basically trashes the NCAA the entire time haha.

I personally will be PISSED if we hire any former Hoosier. We need to stop looking back and start moving forward.

It would depend IMO.  Currently there's not a former Hoosiers I'd trust.  That doesn't mean someone like Cheaney or Fife won't grow into a good coach, it's too early to tell with them.

If down the road one, or both, appears to be among the up and coming top coaches and they've sustained success would you say they shouldn't be coach just because they were former Hoosiers?  In that situation I'd say it would be moving forward, even though they are both former players.

[quote name="ElectricBoogaloo" post="47844" timestamp="1394906627"]Didn't we offer Bennett the job before Crean and he passed on it?[/quote]

Ugh. I hope not. I really don't know.