Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUFB vs Charlotte - Saturday, 09.21.24 @ Noon on BTN

34 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Ahh, 4-0 coffee tastes sooo good this morning.

And by coffee, I mean a Folgers K-cup from the Keurig because I’m a down to earth guy like Coach Cigs. Not some fancy pressed crap made with a bean thats been covered in insect excrement like Stuhoo and Hoosierhoopster drink 

Folgers?  Oh la la Mr Name Brand Fancy Pants

42 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Ahh, 4-0 coffee tastes sooo good this morning.

And by coffee, I mean a Folgers K-cup from the Keurig because I’m a down to earth guy like Coach Cigs. Not some fancy pressed crap made with a bean thats been covered in insect excrement like Stuhoo and Hoosierhoopster drink 

IUFB now has as many wins this year as the White Sox, huh?!  ;)

15 hours ago, rayl456 said:

I agree with the above quote.  But for IU that means, in my opinion, winning SEASONS and not simply four games against some seemingly weak teams.  To change the IU culture or the way people think, you need multiple winning seasons and some bowl games as well.  We’re off to a good/great start, but I don’t expect sellout crowds after four games.  We all know that we’ve had decades of miserable football and that’s why people leave at half or don’t show up at all.  Get some consistent winning and then people will react differently.  JMHO.

I get what you're saying but when I went to IU and the team was mediocre I went to all the games and that was when the team was also borrrrring. This team is exciting regardless of the competition and should be competitive in every game. Very rarely if ever has IUFB put up this many points and give up this few to start a season. I understand to get "fans" you need to be consistent for a longer period of time, but the students should jump on the bandwagon as soon as possible. There should be A LOT of students in the stadium in each game going forward.

24 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I get what you're saying but when I went to IU and the team was mediocre I went to all the games and that was when the team was also borrrrring. This team is exciting regardless of the competition and should be competitive in every game. Very rarely if ever has IUFB put up this many points and give up this few to start a season. I understand to get "fans" you need to be consistent for a longer period of time, but the students should jump on the bandwagon as soon as possible. There should be A LOT of students in the stadium in each game going forward.

As a recent IU graduate, and having been to a few other campuses, the ‘game experience’ at IU is severely lacking.  It’s almost comical.  Those things matter to college students.  Have to give them a reason to get into the stadium and actually stay.  Winning consistently will certainly help, but more has to be done besides the play on the field.  I think as we get into fall and it becomes more tolerable to be outside along with the team doing well, more students will come and more will stay. However, student attendance will not really change until the total game experience changes.

Just now, IU - Kaulie said:

As a recent IU graduate, and having been to a few other campuses, the ‘game experience’ at IU is severely lacking.  It’s almost comical.  Those things matter to college students.  Have to give them a reason to get into the stadium and actually stay.  Winning consistently will certainly help, but more has to be done besides the play on the field.  I think as we get into fall and it becomes more tolerable to be outside along with the team doing well, more students will come and more will stay. However, student attendance will not really change until the total game experience changes.

I guess as a student I didn't care about the "experience" as much as kids do today. I went to watch the game and to hangout with my friends. But the game day experience seems to be much more important for people now so IU definitely needs to pick up the pace. But regardless of the game day experience lacking etc. taking a 4-0 start for granted is a mistake if you're a IUFB fan or student. Enjoy it when it happens. Make your own game day experience by packing the place. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree 100%.

16 hours ago, rayl456 said:

I agree with the above quote.  But for IU that means, in my opinion, winning SEASONS and not simply four games against some seemingly weak teams.  To change the IU culture or the way people think, you need multiple winning seasons and some bowl games as well.  We’re off to a good/great start, but I don’t expect sellout crowds after four games.  We all know that we’ve had decades of miserable football and that’s why people leave at half or don’t show up at all.  Get some consistent winning and then people will react differently.  JMHO.

Sell outs would be great…but I don’t think any of us were expecting a sell out against Charlotte. But come on, the stadium was half empty for most of the game…that’s bad. We should’ve had a lot more fans in attendance for yesterday’s game. Why is Cig going to want to stay here if it’s going to take multiple seasons to bring back fans to the stadium? Ultimately it will be our loss.

I’m hoping against Maryland that we have a 90% full stadium. No reason not to. 4-0, outscoring opponents 202-37, a conference opponent and possibly ranked. 

3 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Fine.  Cig doesn’t seem like a guy who wants to finish his career winning games in a half empty stadium.  So I suspect a lot of folks will be able to go back to bitching about the quality of football before long.

58 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Fine.  Cig doesn’t seem like a guy who wants to finish his career winning games in a half empty stadium.  So I suspect a lot of folks will be able to go back to bitching about the quality of football before long.

I don't think he intends to. He is a smart man and I think he fully knew what he was walking into. Right now, job 1 was to put a competitive team on the field in year one. I think he is doing that. I'm pretty sure that after this season, everything will be evaluated. It's up to the university to figure out what needs to be done to make the students want to go to games and to stay until the end. Eventually, with success, the team will sell itself. We are just at the beginning of a new era of IU football. It will take time, but we have the coach to get it done.

2 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

When they start beating good teams more people will start doing to games and stay longer.