Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

President Whitten - 2024 Faculty No Vote

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And that's assuming that the picture is real (it may be) and not photoshopped. I find it curious that in a protest full of cell phone cameras, only one picture has circulated.

question everything.  That's always my mantra.

Also evidence that these protests aren't organic in nature and funding is being offered to activists/groups.  Whitten used the term External in her letter multiple times.  Be weary of everything that is trending in news cycles and question how and why it got to the point it did.  

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And that's assuming that the picture is real (it may be) and not photoshopped. I find it curious that in a protest full of cell phone cameras, only one picture has circulated.

Gotta be careful with what you "see."  Remember this gem :) :

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also evidence that these protests aren't organic in nature and funding is being offered to activists/groups.  Whitten used the term External in her letter multiple times.  Be weary of everything that is trending in news cycles and question how and why it got to the point it did.  

Absolutely true.  The timeline of student protests is usually:

Monday:  Everybody is going to the quad to protest.  

Thursday:  This sucks.  Let's go to happy hour at Kilroys. 

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

*except for a Grace Berger mid-range jumper, or Steve Alford or Jordan Hulls at the free throw line. 

Those things are unquestionably real and good.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Absolutely true.  The timeline of student protests is usually:

Monday:  Everybody is going to the quad to protest.  

Thursday:  This sucks.  Let's go to happy hour at Kilroys. 

And undeniably convenient:

image.png

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I actually haven't seen the photo, just the video.

I hope it embeds correctly. 

https://twitter.com/togdali/status/1783654267041005923?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1783654267041005923|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

There's generally legal authority to prevent people from setting up their own personal housing area on property that is not their own. Your post is so, so good; the balancing test of allowing for public, peaceful protest vs an at times competing interest in providing public access to public spaces, preventing and addressing hate speech, and pre-empting violence.

For me? The ISP making announcements hours before any action describing the rules is good and necessary. The vast majority of (maybe entire) cadre of officers that did their jobs effectively and efficiently are heroes for me. As for the protesters? Giving them attention for those interested is fine, but for those who are hoping that they'll go away? Giving them attention is counter-productive.

It seems to me, and I have heard this a few times, that for change to occur the comfortable have to become uncomfortable.  I get the premise behind this but the problem is that how to put someone else in an uncomfortable position does not have always follow an acceptable and legal script.  I think the IU university has done a good job on this so far. Read a flier from University of Florida today that outlined what was legal to do and what was not.  That helps but then it is easy to ignore a peaceful protest.  

Rosa Parks made people uncomfortable and fortunately change followed but it seems then she was the one in danger.  I worry that soon one of these road blocking activists will end up dying after getting struck by a vehicle. Those kind of protests seem like they should be forbidden.  Someone in a legit panic to get to an emergency is bound to react. But how to allow people to have a voice while balancing this right and safety is going to be challenging if we don’t get a better handle on what is acceptable and when that line is crossed how to consistently apply a punishment that is fair and a deterrent will be a major challenge given how politically divided we are.  

8 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Gotta be careful with what you "see."  Remember this gem :) :

I will say that when a story is posted that  says ‘everyone’ did something, I doubt its accuracy.  Get a room of vegetarians together to get lunch and probably at least one is eating meat.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I will say that when a story is posted that  says ‘everyone’ did something, I doubt its accuracy.  Get a room of vegetarians together to get lunch and probably at least one is eating meat.

Ok, but it was a fact that several IU students mistook this dude for the KKK.  I remember the tweets.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Ok, but it was a fact that several IU students mistook this dude for the KKK.  I remember the tweets.  

I don't doubt it, was more a statement about the tweet taking a sensationalistic take on it.

I would have to say that I would take a lot of things that a college student said they 'saw' at night as something that I would first want to know what was their system at the time of the 'sighting'.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:31 PM, 8bucks said:

It seems to me, and I have heard this a few times, that for change to occur the comfortable have to become uncomfortable.  I get the premise behind this but the problem is that how to put someone else in an uncomfortable position does not have always follow an acceptable and legal script.  I think the IU university has done a good job on this so far. Read a flier from University of Florida today that outlined what was legal to do and what was not.  That helps but then it is easy to ignore a peaceful protest.  

Rosa Parks made people uncomfortable and fortunately change followed but it seems then she was the one in danger.  I worry that soon one of these road blocking activists will end up dying after getting struck by a vehicle. Those kind of protests seem like they should be forbidden.  Someone in a legit panic to get to an emergency is bound to react. But how to allow people to have a voice while balancing this right and safety is going to be challenging if we don’t get a better handle on what is acceptable and when that line is crossed how to consistently apply a punishment that is fair and a deterrent will be a major challenge given how politically divided we are.  

Change takes organization. It takes thought. It can take time. Rosa Parks wasn't just randomly on a bus. She was put there on purpose and with a purpose. A planned purpose. But what's happening on college campuses nowadays? Half the kids don't even know what they are protesting. Just there to be there because others are doing it. A ton of ultra privileged kids who have never faced real adversity. You have to protest with a purpose and in a way that gets to people. If you do it in a way that annoys people, interrupts people or whatever, all you're going to do is turn those people against you. Especially in bigger towns or cities where everyone is a rush. That's why real organization is important. Real thought. Organization allows for how to protest, what about and try to keep outside influencers from overtaking and hijacking the protest, which happens at most mass protest now.

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Half the kids don't even know what they are protesting. Just there to be there because others are doing it. A ton of ultra privileged kids who have never faced real adversity. You have to protest with a purpose and in a way that gets to people. 

Seems to me the perfect real world lessons are the ones that provide life lessons in how not to do things.  As you said, they are kids (or young adults).  Not a surprise they are going to do some things in the wrong way….best way to learn and do it better in the future.  Personally, I’d be more concerned with the ultra privileged kids who simply don’t give a **** about the world outside their own dorm room.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Seems to me the perfect real world lessons are the ones that provide life lessons in how not to do things.  As you said, they are kids (or young adults).  Not a surprise they are going to do some things in the wrong way….best way to learn and do it better in the future.  Personally, I’d be more concerned with the ultra privileged kids who simply don’t give a **** about the world outside their own dorm room.

I’m more concerned with the faculty that are encouraging them to “do some things in the wrong way,” the people that are unaffiliated with the university that are there to “do some things in the wrong way,” AND a university administration that was unprepared and has had a crappy plan for dealing with it all.

16 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Change takes organization. It takes thought. It can take time. Rosa Parks wasn't just randomly on a bus. She was put there on purpose and with a purpose. A planned purpose. But what's happening on college campuses nowadays? Half the kids don't even know what they are protesting. Just there to be there because others are doing it. A ton of ultra privileged kids who have never faced real adversity. You have to protest with a purpose and in a way that gets to people. If you do it in a way that annoys people, interrupts people or whatever, all you're going to do is turn those people against you. Especially in bigger towns or cities where everyone is a rush. That's why real organization is important. Real thought. Organization allows for how to protest, what about and try to keep outside influencers from overtaking and hijacking the protest, which happens at most mass protest now.

Be the change you want to see in the world. How can you be the change if you really don't even know or have empathy for that change?

You're right. Take the time and effort to get organized and make real change. Just picking up a sign and joining a protest? How many people have you ever seen change sides on a protest? Its usually just for show and benefits the very people you are protesting against.

21 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Be the change you want to see in the world. How can you be the change if you really don't even know or have empathy for that change?

You're right. Take the time and effort to get organized and make real change. Just picking up a sign and joining a protest? How many people have you ever seen change sides on a protest? Its usually just for show and benefits the very people you are protesting against.

Uh, MLK on line 1.  They key is you have to have a reasonably articulated position that is based on logic, common sense, and aligned with US values.  I am not sure “We are Hamas” makes the cut.  

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Uh, MLK on line 1.  They key is you have to have a reasonably articulated position that is based on logic, common sense, and aligned with US values.  I am not sure “We are Hamas” makes the cut.  

Hamas = terror.

In fairness, I do not think that any more than a minuscule amount of these protesters would ever consider themselves “pro-Hamas.”

Now; are the protesters naive and at times coming off that way nonetheless? In my opinion… yes.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Hamas = terror.

In fairness, I do not think that any more than a minuscule amount of these protesters would ever consider themselves “pro-Hamas.”

Now; are the protesters naive and at times coming off that way nonetheless? In my opinion… yes.

uhhhhhh could it be possible that maybe you don't have all the information? Little give and take?

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

a lot of the protests are being  started by Jewish organizations.