Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

37 minutes ago, Demo said:

I agree. I’d rather see them invest in a younger kid with more of a ceiling and a chance to be more than just filling a gap in the roster. I just feel something like this is where they’re gonna go. Some physically and emotionally mature kid who’s comfortable with the possibility that they may just not play. 

I would prefer to have a younger big too.  I mentioned it before but nobody replied but why not look at a JC big?  

3 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I posted about 1 in the Transfer portal thread. 7 foot

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I actually liked him.  I googled top JC transfers and he was one of him.  Dean Garrett and Keith Smart were JC transfers.  To me there is an advantage, he may be willing to play behind Ballo to develop more and then move into Ballo’s role next year, plus getting paid well.  

At this rate, with the type of guys we are looking at for the backup 5, I’d say don’t even ever play the guy.

If you aren’t going to go after a guy worthy of playing, don’t play them.

This team has 2 bigs and we can’t attract a 5 with some upside? Strange, imo.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

58 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Nikita is more physical but Hatton seems to have a better feel for the game and can shoot. Nikita seems like a project and looks like he just throws the ball at the rim and doesn’t have great instincts within the game. Hattons dad is a big UK fan so it would be comics to see him go to IU.

Nikita is more physical but he's not a great athlete.  Plus rebounder but not very fast and he's not going to take any shots outside the paint.  Hatton is a more skilled player -- not as physical, an okay rebounder, but does offer a more well rounded offensive game.  Also NK really couldn't ever be on the floor with Ballo while Hatton could.  I can't speak to the defense from either -- they don't show those kind of things on highlight reels unless the player is a big shot blocker.

Couple of notes on Hatton:  he started slow last year but finished really, really strong.  The first seven games he only scored 30 points -- at the end of November he was 11 of 40 from the field, 1 of 5 from three....through 7 games he was averaging 4.3 points and 4.9 rebounds.

The last 24 games of the season he was 118 of 229 from the field (52%), 14 of 40 from three (35%) and averaged 12.3 points and 7.1 rebounds.

That said, Bellarmine was really bad last year and it's always hard to gauge how good a player is on a bad team.  It can be hard to produce on a bad team but sometimes they are part of the reason the team was bad.  But in terms of NK v. Hatton, I have no idea.  Guess it depends on what you want.

Nikita is more physical but he's not a great athlete.  Plus rebounder but not very fast and he's not going to take any shots outside the paint.  Hatton is a more skilled player -- not as physical, an okay rebounder, but does offer a more well rounded offensive game.  Also NK really couldn't ever be on the floor with Ballo while Hatton could.  I can't speak to the defense from either -- they don't show those kind of things on highlight reels unless the player is a big shot blocker.
Couple of notes on Hatton:  he started slow last year but finished really, really strong.  The first seven games he only scored 30 points -- at the end of November he was 11 of 40 from the field, 1 of 5 from three....through 7 games he was averaging 4.3 points and 4.9 rebounds.
The last 24 games of the season he was 118 of 229 from the field (52%), 14 of 40 from three (35%) and averaged 12.3 points and 7.1 rebounds.
That said, Bellarmine was really bad last year and it's always hard to gauge how good a player is on a bad team.  It can be hard to produce on a bad team but sometimes they are part of the reason the team was bad.  But in terms of NK v. Hatton, I have no idea.  Guess it depends on what you want.
Take both. One a walk on with NIL to cover schooling

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

At this rate, with the type of guys we are looking at for the backup 5, I’d say don’t even ever play the guy.

If you aren’t going to go after a guy worthy of playing, don’t play them.

This team has 2 bigs and we can’t attract a 5 with some upside? Strange, imo.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

A 5 with some upside IMO still only gets about 10 minutes/game -- at MOST.  There are going to be some times when IU goes small and Reneau shifts there.  It's really not like IU has big minutes to offer.  Payton Sparks was our backup 5 last year and saw less than 200 minutes of court time last year.  While our backup 5 will probably see more than this year, I expect you'll see Ballo have more court minutes than he had at Arizona.  I don't see him playing 25 minutes/game....would expect him to be more around 28/30.  TJD averaged about 33 mpg under Woodson.  Ke'lel Ware averaged 32.

One thing I think that does need to bee noted is who has contacted NK and who has contacted Hatton.

NK we haven't heard much about who has contacted him.  I am guessing that since he hasn't set up a visit (to our knowledge) or committed, he's hung up on playing time he would get at IU.

Hatton has had contact from Clemson, Minnesota, IU, Ohio State, and Louisville.  So at least five P5 schools.  Probably says coaching staffs feel that Hatton is the better player -- and they probably feel he's a capable backup 5.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'd just prefer a better athlete. The only thing that intrigued me with the Monmouth big was that he had 2 years left. 

Hatton didn't have good #s against power 5 competition last season, either. 

I think he actually doesn't have two years left.  I think he may have played JUCO or D2 prior.  ESPN listed him as a senior so I assume he just has his covid year left.

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

A 5 with some upside IMO still only gets about 10 minutes/game -- at MOST.  There are going to be some times when IU goes small and Reneau shifts there.  It's really not like IU has big minutes to offer.  Payton Sparks was our backup 5 last year and saw less than 200 minutes of court time last year.  While our backup 5 will probably see more than this year, I expect you'll see Ballo have more court minutes than he had at Arizona.  I don't see him playing 25 minutes/game....would expect him to be more around 28/30.  TJD averaged about 33 mpg under Woodson.  Ke'lel Ware averaged 32.

Unless Woody is planning on playing Mack at the 4, this big would prolly get 15-20 minutes a game.

With the guys we're going after, it makes you wonder if we're out of .NIL cash I know it's not the best sell, but come on.

Unless Woody is planning on playing Mack at the 4, this big would prolly get 15-20 minutes a game.
With the guys we're going after, it makes you wonder if we're out of .NIL cash I know it's not the best sell, but come on.

Yup. It’s concerning imo. Talk about putting all your big options in 2 guys with one not being a real 5. A Ballo injury away from real problems. You’d think they’d have learned their lesson on the Sparks fiasco.

My thing is, if we get a D2 quality backup 5, DONT play him. I’d rather play 4 guards with Mgbako or Reneau at that point.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Scotty D. is no slouch at TEACHING bball! For that reason alone I would go with Hatton.

3 minutes ago, Redcamaro said:

Scotty D. is no slouch at TEACHING bball! For that reason alone I would go with Hatton.

He has kind of a funky delivery but it wasn’t an accident last year that he started shooting threes.  In high school he was a 38% three point shooter on some volume over 5 years.

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yup. It’s concerning imo. Talk about putting all your big options in 2 guys with one not being a real 5. A Ballo injury away from real problems. You’d think they’d have learned their lesson on the Sparks fiasco.

My thing is, if we get a D2 quality backup 5, DONT play him. I’d rather play 4 guards with Mgbako or Reneau at that point.

I don't see how you can look at the roster and think we are doing anything but playing small half the time.  Reneau at the 5 should be a dynamic offense with these guards.  

I'm hesitant to say that for sure because of...well, Woody.  But it sure looks that's the way we're headed.  

33 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I don't see how you can look at the roster and think we are doing anything but playing small half the time.  Reneau at the 5 should be a dynamic offense with these guards.  

I'm hesitant to say that for sure because of...well, Woody.  But it sure looks that's the way we're headed.  

Yeah “should” and “will”, we’ll see how it goes.

Completely agree that we’d be better off getting Reneau 15 minutes at the 5 versus any of our current portal options. You need backup size “just in case” but whoever we bring in is a “use in case of emergency” player at this point.

Start Rice, Carlyle, Goode or Galloway, Mgabko, Ballo with Reneau subbing in for Ballo at the 5 while trying to limit their overlap. You still have Reneau at the 4 for 10+ minutes a game but this, IMO, is the best use of our front court given how the roster is currently constructed.

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is where recruiting Freshman comes into play IMO.  It is easier to sell a 4* top 75ish guy a developmental role on a loaded team because he still has 4 years of eligibility.  Picking up a guy with only a year left to make all the necessary changes that occur with a transfer to then sit the bench for the majority of his time left is a much harder sell.  Woodson is either 5* or bust in Freshman recruiting which means we are going to be likely to struggle mightily to fill our last couple scholarships while he is coach.  That is unless he figures out a way to add Freshman to his roster that aren't expecting big minutes right away.  (And despite what Tucker's Dad may have said, he also mentioned BIG Freshman of the year as a goal.  You don't get that riding the bench.)

Some of the kids being recruited in the 25 class may fit that sit for a year and learn role, what the staff is able to do there should be telling.