Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Feels like this is a Hatton backup plan. Because that is a very necessary thing to have.

Very backup. Played at Norcross HS in Atlanta in the same conference as Rice, Carlyle and Newton, though he was before them. 2 different Juco's followed be New Mexico St and UT-Martin. That's a lot of movement in 5 yrs.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Even at New Mexico St he played 24 minutes. Would think he's looking for good minutes, not the kind of limited backup role IU is looking for.

It seems that we are going after the wrong type big, the ones with only 1 year of eligibility left.  Those guys still want to play as many minutes as they can.   I would go after a underclass man, with at least 2 years eligibility remaining.  They can the possibility of playing time after Ballo leaves.  Thoughts?  Are any of these remaining in the transfer portal?  What about a JUCO player?

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It seems that we are going after the wrong type big, the ones with only 1 year of eligibility left.  Those guys still want to play as many minutes as they can.   I would go after a underclass man, with at least 2 years eligibility remaining.  They can the possibility of playing time after Ballo leaves.  Thoughts?  Are any of these remaining in the transfer portal?  What about a JUCO player?

We have two schollies--- one has to be ready to play now. 

38 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It is intentional and makes sense to me. 

We are looking for a player that is ready on day one to play if needed. A developmental young big or a JUCO transfer would be completely unproven and more likely to not be ready, having never played against D1 nor P5 competition.

A player like Hatton started every game last year at a (lower conference) D1 school, and has played against Power 5 teams and in P5 arenas; much more likely to be a mature player who is game ready immediately.

As you correctly state, a D1 big with two or more years left would be optimal, but those are the players who won't come for a potentially reduced role.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We are looking for a player that is ready on day one to play if needed. A developmental young big or a JUCO transfer would be completely unproven and more likely to not be ready, having never played against D1 nor P5 competition.

A player like Hatton started every game last year at a (lower conference) D1 school, and has played against Power 5 teams and in P5 arenas; much more likely to be a mature player who is game ready immediately.

As you correctly state, a D1 big with two or more years left would be optimal, but those are the players who won't come for a potentially reduced role.

I get that we need a proven big; however, it will be hard for them to sell the amount of playing time that’s available unless they more motivated by money, education such as IU’s school of business or they recognize they could be part of a very good team and only want to help a good team win.  I hope we land someone that meets what you stated above.  I say up the $$$ then, lol!

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think landing two bigs who exhaust their eligibility after this season paves the way for immediate playing time to somebody like Malachi Moreno. Staff should be all-in on him and Mullins this summer. 

3 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Even at New Mexico St he played 24 minutes. Would think he's looking for good minutes, not the kind of limited backup role IU is looking for.

30 minutes at UT-Martin and 24 minutes at New Mexico State really doesn’t translate into big minutes at a P5.

4 hours ago, Demo said:

Very backup. Played at Norcross HS in Atlanta in the same conference as Rice, Carlyle and Newton, though he was before them. 2 different Juco's followed be New Mexico St and UT-Martin. That's a lot of movement in 5 yrs.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the amount that of movement a player with one year of eligibility has had.

4 minutes ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

In 1:30 scout.  He's not super bouncy.  Can finish above the rim but does a lot of work below the rim.  Heavily favors his right hand.  Jumper actually "looks" good on a sample size of 2.  Looks strong.  Not a bad option all things considered.  Might dig a bit deeper, If Hatton isn't the preferred look that eliminates him.

56 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

30 minutes at UT-Martin and 24 minutes at New Mexico State really doesn’t translate into big minutes at a P5.

Agree, but doubt he's interested in coming in and playing 10-12 minutes a game, unless it's all about getting paid.

39 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree, but doubt he's interested in coming in and playing 10-12 minutes a game, unless it's all about getting paid.

Maybe, but if minutes on the court were his number one factor he could return to UT Martin or would have already signed with another low major.  Guys still in the portal now are likely reevaluating their wants.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Maybe, but if minutes on the court were his number one factor he could return to UT Martin or would have already signed with another low major.  Guys still in the portal now are likely reevaluating their wants.

Winning. Playing on a national stage. Regularly playing in front of 17,000 people. Practicing against high-level players. Connections to a career after college basketball (such as overseas teams). NIL. So many good reasons.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Winning. Playing on a national stage. Regularly playing in front of 17,000 people. Practicing against high-level players. Connections to a career after college basketball (such as overseas teams). NIL. So many good reasons.

An injury away from trying to claim the 5 spot on a team with title aspirations. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

As they say, we shall see. Count me skeptical

An injury away from trying to claim the 5 spot on a team with title aspirations. 
Foul trouble will also give him a opportunity

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk