Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh yes! 

But he only makes them at a 65% clip. That's good enough for a bench center.

Anderson would have solved all this plus the three’s.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh yes! 

But he only makes them at a 65% clip. That's good enough for a bench center.

The, that's good enough for starting 2 guard at IU, jokes in....1,2,3....

Funny to see people mention guys like Sissoko. No one who has started so many B1G games is coming to fill this spot. My wishlist for the spot are twofold:1) Is he over 6'10, 2) does he have 5 fouls to give. There are plenty of these guys in the portal, but it's probably gonna be a guy that most of the ppl on this board have never heard of. 

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

Funny to see people mention guys like Sissoko. No one who has started so many B1G games is coming to fill this spot. My wishlist for the spot are twofold:1) Is he over 6'10, 2) does he have 5 fouls to give. There are plenty of these guys in the portal, but it's probably gonna be a guy that most of the ppl on this board have never heard of. 

Agree. 

Buuuuut one more caveat-- he has to be able to beat Durr in a foot race. 

13 minutes ago, SamIam said:

This. With Ballo and at times Reneau at the 5, it's not too attractive for someone like Malone. The shooter role, seems to be Goode, we can get someone good. But the backup 5 is probably going to end up being like a Durr or someone similar. If this person ends up playing 20 plus minutes for us we are probably screwed. 

33 minutes ago, Blue 2 Green said:

Jared Coleman-Jones from Middle Tennessee had a nice year.  He would check a couple boxes if he could be incentivized to accept a reserve position.  He has good size, decent range (44% on 3s with limited usage) and he hits his free throws.  There is some versatility to his offensive game and with help from Cliff might be able to steal minutes at the 4.  He played his freshman year at Northwestern with Killer Kopp and played high school ball a half hour from Atlanta, so Ya might have some familiarity with him.

Welcome to btb where the excitement never ends!!  Hope to see you as a frequent poster

28 minutes ago, SamIam said:

As I said previously, he averaged 15 minutes a game last year. To me, that doesn’t scream “ I have to start.”

39 minutes ago, Blue 2 Green said:

Jared Coleman-Jones from Middle Tennessee had a nice year.  He would check a couple boxes if he could be incentivized to accept a reserve position.  He has good size, decent range (44% on 3s with limited usage) and he hits his free throws.  There is some versatility to his offensive game and with help from Cliff might be able to steal minutes at the 4.  He played his freshman year at Northwestern with Killer Kopp and played high school ball a half hour from Atlanta, so Ya might have some familiarity with him.

Welcome aboard. And that is some strong tea leaf reading. We love that. Adding to your Ya speculation, he played at McEachern, which is in the same conference as both of our new guards. Spooky.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Season School Conf Class G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

2023-24 Monmouth CAA JR 33 32 773 6.8 13.0 .526 6.8 12.9 .528 0.0 0.1 .000 2.2 3.4 .652 13.8 1.6 0.9 1.0 1.9 3.8 15.

He started 32 of 33 games last year; his first season with an 18-15 Colonial Athletic Monmouth team. That team was 7-26 the prior year. His Monmouth coach described him:

“Nikita really fit everything we wanted to do,” Rice said. “I knew the coach who recruited him and he said he could really, really play, and he got hurt last season. He’s a really good passer, and he can score on the block. He’s just not the most athletic dude vertically, but everything else he can really do.”

His per 40 minutes for last year are shown above. Rebounding, fouls committed, and assists per 40 are  good; everything else is decent and with no category that looks terrible. Seems like a full-size big who would be fine with limited minutes. This is the type of player that we're looking at to fill out the roster (assuming Goode commits). Appears that he would be a solid pickup. Two years left to play.

More importantly? He's a grown-@$$ man who clearly has some serious real-world challenges. 22 year old graduate student with international hoops experience, a perfect gpa, and whose family is in Kyiv:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2023/10/12/monmouth-basketball-ukraine-nikita-konstantynovskyi-war/71110572007/

Just a little ribbing. He stated that Nikita averaged 9pts.& 8 rebs. in 2 min.

Posted (edited)

Thank you gentlemen.  Long time lurker - first time poster.  

It is probably more wishful thinking than reading tea leaves but based on his CV and a few highlight videos Coleman-Jones looks really intriguing to me.  There are a lot of big bodies that might help IU but if there is no personal connection to them it probably gets more difficult to sell a kid on back up minutes at a school or in an area of the country he's unfamiliar with.

Thanks for connecting those dots, Demo.  Perhaps he and Myles Rice are acquainted.  I was thinking he moved around a bit; was he in Georgia for his freshman or sophomore years?

Edited by Blue 2 Green

1 hour ago, Blue 2 Green said:

Jared Coleman-Jones from Middle Tennessee had a nice year.  He would check a couple boxes if he could be incentivized to accept a reserve position.  He has good size, decent range (44% on 3s with limited usage) and he hits his free throws.  There is some versatility to his offensive game and with help from Cliff might be able to steal minutes at the 4.  He played his freshman year at Northwestern with Miller Kopp and played high school ball a half hour from Atlanta, so Ya might have some familiarity with him.

...I feel like your shouting and my eyes hurt reading all that bold. lol

2 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

...I feel like your shouting and my eyes hurt reading all that bold. lol

I thought shouting was all caps? My knowledge of keyboard etiquette has always been subpar. lol

6 minutes ago, Demo said:

I thought shouting was all caps? My knowledge of keyboard etiquette has always been subpar. lol

I know... lol, I'm just bored. Yes, shouting is all caps. I feel it is like he is talking very loud.....lol

7 minutes ago, Blue 2 Green said:

I'm not shouting, just not very proficient.   My humble apologies.

.....lol, I know you're not. I'm just "funnin'!

59 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

As I said previously, he averaged 15 minutes a game last year. To me, that doesn’t scream “ I have to start.”

To me, it screams "I want to start, and I am in the portal to make that happen." But I would love to have him if he was willing to come off the bench here. 

Personally, I don't think w need a guy who scores a lot. He just needs to be a good rebounder on both ends, a serviceable rim protector and good FT shooter(preferably above 70%). If he can go out a make a 3 pointer once in a while is a plus.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk