Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

He actually grew two inches between high school and his sophomore year so he has the size of a forward with the ball handling skills of a guard. He's going to be a stud with a bigger role. I know kentucky fans were really sad to lose him. 

would be interesting should he chose IU

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not sure how he's a projected 1st rd pick. What if he wants to come here and RS? That's unrealistic, but it'd be nice haha

The only fit I can see, and this is squinting pretty damned hard, involves him being bigger than he’s generally listed. When they were recruiting him part of his appeal was that he supposedly had open growth plates and was projected to maybe get to 6’10”. That didn’t happen but when you look at him in games he might be 6’8”. If so he’s got a chance to defend some bigger kids and could figure into a frontcourt rotation. Or he could just go to one of his other really good offers with a more natural fit and just call it a day.

16 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

There were quite a few 3's not taken by open shooters last year. Hopefully we're getting kids that can hit those shots and aren't afraid to take them.

This is kind of a continuing discussion, I don't mean to beat it to death (it's probably already 6 feet under) but it's not that they're afraid, it's not part of the offensive scheme or sets or system that Woodson runs. You don't shoot by numbers at the bottom of D1 ball because some guys are supposedly afraid to shoot. FWIW Bako started taking more 3's as the season progressed, I'm hoping that, along with the total flop of a season we just had and the public calls for Woodson's firing will get him into the current century, so he / assistants start scheming for outside shooting.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This is kind of a continuing discussion, I don't mean to beat it to death (it's probably already 6 feet under) but it's not that they're afraid, it's not part of the offensive scheme or sets or system that Woodson runs. You don't shoot by numbers at the bottom of D1 ball because some guys are supposedly afraid to shoot. FWIW Bako started taking more 3's as the season progressed, I'm hoping that, along with the total flop of a season we just had and the public calls for Woodson's firing will get him into the current century, so he / assistants start scheming for outside shooting.

I’m pretty sure the players have said the coaches don’t tell them not to shoot the open 3. 

Just now, Feathery said:

I’m pretty sure the players have said the coaches don’t tell them not to shoot the open 3. 

It's not that they tell them don't shoot them, they don't scheme for outside shooting, run sets for outside shooting, or in any way emphasize it. Woodson himself has publicly acknowledged he doesn't. Only way you finish at the bottom of all DI ball on shooting 3's is not integrating them in your system. Run sets, run plays for guys to launch, make it a priority. All need to happen.

42 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Adou Thiero(6'8" 222lbs listed as a guard on ESPN but more likely a SF imo) visited IU during his original recruitment coming out of high school, a versatile defender and has a high motor.  Isn't Bryson Tucker considered to be very similar to that of Adou?  Can you imagine them two on the court together.  

Isn’t that Mgbako’s position too?

FWIW ...

According to our friend Tyme, Carlyle is a done deal. 

Assures us all to be patient with the final pieces -- says there's work to be done with new names popping up. Some even not in the portal yet. 

Sorta sounds like the Essegian ship has sailed. Tyme says it's not easy when you don't have a starting role to hand out. Not sure who would have a starting spot for him unless he goes mid-major. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

FWIW ...

Assures us all to be patient with the final pieces -- says there's work to be done with new names popping up. Some even not in the portal yet. 

Sorta sounds like the Essegian ship has sailed. Tyme says it's not easy when you don't have a starting role to hand out. 

If Essegian is waiting to be offered a starting position at a high major school, he'll be waiting a loooong time. He'll need to move down to get that.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

If Essegian is waiting to be offered a starting position at a high major school, he'll be waiting a loooong time. He'll need to move down to get that.

Not sure what he’s after but it could just be meaningful minutes as well. Hard to see him getting those if we land Carlyle.

Rice, Carlyle, and Trey will eat up a lot of guard minutes.

7 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

FWIW ...

Sorta sounds like the Essegian ship has sailed. Tyme says it's not easy when you don't have a starting role to hand out. Not sure who would have a starting spot for him unless he goes mid-major. 

No idea what the dude knows verses what he has just read and then surmised, I tend toward the latter, but given that Carlyle has scheduled no other visits, this certainly feels like something would need to go sideways in a pretty big way.

Hope we can get a guy whose best skill is hitting 3s. There’s 12-15 mpg there for him, with the potential for more (injuries, performance, etc). 
Don’t blame CE for going where there looks to be more playing time

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Zach Anderson FGCU who hit a ton of 3's against us is supposedly visiting soon. Maybe as soon as today. 

He was the kid with the sort of weird push shot, right, or am I thinking of the wrong kid?