Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

19 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Yep. It's really a worse deal for teams with not much money. They can develop a guy only to see him leave cause they can't pay him enough. Minnesota just lost a guy to nebraska cause they could only pay 100k I read. Nebraska paid 200k to get him.I don't think minnesota has much nil money

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

At this point Minnesota seems to just try to reload with players from low to mid majors.  They've been able to keep Dawson Garcia in the fold but little else.  But it does seems like even if they develop talent, that talent then transfers out.

At this point Minnesota seems to just try to reload with players from low to mid majors.  They've been able to keep Dawson Garcia in the fold but little else.  But it does seems like even if they develop talent, that talent then transfers out.

Yep though I think in garcias case alot had to do with family. I think he had some family deaths and why he moved back to minn originally. Maybe why he stayed not maybe about money totally. But they did expect to be pretty good next year then lost like four guys to the portal. No idea what they could pay Garcia though.

I just found this even their football team which is pretty good seems to not have the nil they need.

PJ Fleck warns Gophers will lose players without more NIL money

"So, if want to keep players. All these guys we have, they won't be here ne

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Leal/Cupps/Galloway/Johnson combined made 60 3 pointers last year. Will wager $100 to the charity of your choice that Rice hits at least 50. Rice scored more points than Galloway and Cupps combined last year playing in an offense that ranked 322nd in tempo. Galloway and Cupps started 75% of our conference games.

Carlyle + Rice gives us two guards who can SCORE which is the name of the game from all three levels of the court. 

You in?

I like Rice and Carlyle individually, and like you said they both can score and both like to get to the rim but you have to have spacing to make that work.  Ballo clogging the paint with MR doesn’t do that unless Malik improves a lot away from the basket which is possible.

If we are going Rice and Carlyle that’s fine but I don’t want Ballo.  MR needs to play the 5 and you add a shooter like Humrichous.  Rebounding will be a concern but I think we could get around it.

Ballo sounds like he is coming so I would strongly prefer Conwell as Rice’s running mate.  Conwell provides a lot on both ends that doesn’t get talked about enough.  If not Conwell, go hard after Hickman.

We need shooters.  If Ballo is coming we need even more shooters.  My personal preference is Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Humrichous, and MR.  It sure sounds like it’s going to be Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, MR, and Ballo.  I don’t love it, and we have to hope Rice and Carlyle up their percentages and MR can play more away from the basket because Ballo isn’t Ware and he will clog the paint and spacing is going to be an issue with explosive driving guards.  It’s a lot to ask for.  I like the players being talked about individually, but it has to work as a team.  None of the above names are coming here to come off the bench so you have to prioritize.  Right now, as it currently stands, there are two starting positions that are open.

Not going HARD after Conwell is a mistake, unless he has let it be known he isn’t interested.

1 minute ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I like Rice and Carlyle individually, and like you said they both can score and both like to get to the rim but you have to have spacing to make that work.  Ballo clogging the paint with MR doesn’t do that unless Malik improves a lot away from the basket which is possible.

If we are going Rice and Carlyle that’s fine but I don’t want Ballo.  MR needs to play the 5 and you add a shooter like Humrichous.  Rebounding will be a concern but I think we could get around it.

Ballo sounds like he is coming so I would strongly prefer Conwell as Rice’s running mate.  Conwell provides a lot on both ends that doesn’t get talked about enough.  If not Conwell, go hard after Hickman.

We need shooters.  If Ballo is coming we need even more shooters.  My personal preference is Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Humrichous, and MR.  It sure sounds like it’s going to be Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, MR, and Ballo.  I don’t love it, and we have to hope Rice and Carlyle up their percentages and MR can play more away from the basket because Ballo isn’t Ware and he will clog the paint and spacing is going to be an issue with explosive driving guards.  It’s a lot to ask for.  I like the players being talked about individually but it has to work as a team.  

Not going HARD after Conwell is a mistake, unless he has let it be known he isn’t interested.

I agree with everything you said. I will say, I believe they are going hard after conwell. A visit is likely and they are trying to schedule it. He is also my top choice, but the way things have played out might make him tough to get despite the mutual interest. 

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I agree with everything you said. I will say, I believe they are going hard after conwell. A visit is likely and they are trying to schedule it. He is also my top choice, but the way things have played out might make him tough to get despite the mutual interest. 

He is definitely my top choice.  I love Rice and super excited to get him.  If Carlyle wants to come too that’s awesome, but Conwell is the bigger play here.  Conwell is the big fish.  I can’t see anyone like Carlyle, Hickman, or Humrichous coming here to play off the bench but would be obviously ecstatic if that were somehow to happen.  I just don’t see it, plus you factor in Gallo who is playing HEAVY minutes starting or not.

24 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

He is definitely my top choice.  I love Rice and super excited to get him.  If Carlyle wants to come too that’s awesome, but Conwell is the bigger play here.  Conwell is the big fish.  I can’t see anyone like Carlyle, Hickman, or Humrichous coming here to play off the bench but would be obviously ecstatic if that were somehow to happen.  I just don’t see it, plus you factor in Gallo who is playing HEAVY minutes starting or not.

I think if we get conwell and any of the other three we are in great shape and expectations will be as high as ever, rightfully so

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

We need shooters.  If Ballo is coming we need even more shooters.  My personal preference is Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Humrichous, and MR.  It sure sounds like it’s going to be Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, MR, and Ballo.  I don’t love it, and we have to hope Rice and Carlyle up their percentages and MR can play more away from the basket because Ballo isn’t Ware and he will clog the paint and spacing is going to be an issue with explosive driving guards.  It’s a lot to ask for.  I like the players being talked about individually, but it has to work as a team.  None of the above names are coming here to come off the bench so you have to prioritize.  Right now, as it currently stands, there are two starting positions that are open.

Another great analysis, always good. The BOLD is Mike Woodson's type of team and IMO that is what is going to happen. I like what UCONN, FAU or ISU run on offense. All agree that 3's are worth more than 2s. Yet I cannot wrap my brain around MR as a 5. When I try, I see him double teamed and unable to pass the ball out or won't pass the ball out, thus forcing shots. I don't see MR as a rim protector and if IU doesn't improve on defense they will need one. It was said by an NBA scout and relayed in a broadcast, the reason MR doesn't rebound well, he has small hands. So I KNOW IU needs shooters and I would love some as much as everyone else ... but it looks like Mike Woodson is going to sign Mike Woodson type players to run Mike Woodson's offense.

I don't see Conwell brought up much in social media but saw the post above where coaches are following him but not the players on Instagram. Sadly that process with Instagram seems to be pretty accurate on who is going where.

Who knows maybe the staff and Mike thinks they can improve the shooting of the players coming in like they have thought in the past. Maybe the staff does not agree with the forum's non-true fans, and they don't have a shooters problem "we only have to hit shots" as Woodson reminded me plenty of times last season.

Prepare for next year. Mike Woodson's offense (because nothing is wrong in his mind) and those of soon to be Michigan, UCONN and ISU as only wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Why's Conwell the bigger fish then KC?

Just now, Go_Hoosiers said:

Did the Pharrell Payne visit happen?

I've seen nothing about his visit. I didn't see anything about Rice yesterday until his "committed" announcement. Maybe that is why there are crickets around the Payne visit.

8 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

What happened to the 'one free transfer' limitation? I've lost track.

The transfer rule is subject to a court injunction.  NIL changed everything, with the court saying you can't restrict a kid from transferring if he can make more money elsewhere.  Education be damned.  

Happy with the Rice signing.  He fits a huge need. I do have a question. I went to SPEA, so someone help me with my math.  There are 200 minutes in a game.  Ballo (assuming) 29 mins, Reneau 29, MgBako 30, Rice 30, Tucker 25, Galloway 25, Cupps 8, Leal 8.  That leaves 16 minutes (8 minutes per half).  What quality shooting guard are we going to add with only being able to offer 16 minutes per game?