Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

29 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

This is the thing:  I posted about him deleting posts to remove references to Danny Wolf coming to IU.  The point of me doing that had nothing to do with Wolf and everything to do showing that he is still lurking on this board.  Looks like he took the bait.

Also looks like he also is responding to the poster here (don't recall who) who had innocently asked if Ya had indeed coached Rice.

Saying it's not about being right, but others being wrong... then turning around and shouting about you being right/ahead of other people, is just down right funny. It is very peculiar, what's going on with all these burner accounts lol

27 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Where is the elite rim protecting bigs we thought we could challenge for?

Considering we've tried offenses with a true power forward + an elite rim protector at center and haven't fared as well as we would have liked (personally, I do count TJD's senior year as decent -- 4th place Big Ten finish, sweep of Purdue, 12-8 in conference, tournament win, only non conference losses were to top ten teams, but think there was a big step back this past year), maybe we shouldn't be looking for an elite rim protector but rather something for a different look.

I just looked it up out of curiosity...

On 247's transfer portal rankings, of the top 50, six are committed. WVU (following Dad), Gonzaga, Maryland, Miami, Kansas, Bama. Expanding that to the top 100, there are 12 commitments. The additional 6 are committed to: Maryland, Mississippi State, Missouri, LSU, Arkansas, Iowa State. Both of Maryland's commits are guards.

Lots of varying degrees of success and stability at these programs. Still very early in the cycle. Seems others are having more early success. Let's see how it plays out...

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But is it early? The dead period ends on the 11th and then players have 18 days to get in the portal and we need 6 guys. I guess it still is but seems like we should be farther along than we are.

Yeah, saying it's very early is pushing it... The non-graduate deadline to enter is May 1 if I'm not mistaken. The dead period applies to the portal too right? Not sure if that affects entering the portal or not, meaning a potential wave of new entries after the dead period ends? In any case... with 12% of the top 100 committed, I agree seems like we should be among that group of programs with an early commit.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hickman seems likely based on reading tea leaves. But who really knows.

What I do know is the goalposts on what constitutes success in portal have already began shifting.

Still waiting on guys to portal I guess. No Bruce Thornton so far. Where is the elite rim protecting bigs we thought we could challenge for?

I’m going to remain mildly optimistic because what choice do I have.

Rabby seems to think things aren’t going great for us relative to expectations but it also seems Woody is trying to ICE rabby and keep him out of the loop as much as possible.

I thought the bar should be to create a top 25 preseason team considering we have top 5 Nil, that shouldn’t be too hard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Thornton returning to OSU.

Just now, Chris007 said:

But is it early? The dead period ends on the 11th and then players have 18 days to get in the portal and we need 6 guys. I guess it still is but seems like we should be farther along than we are.

I am nihilistic about it all.  I don't think it really matters.  It might be fun to dunk on some people who are riding the sunshine train right now but other than that, I am expecting a ceiling of around 20-12 and on the bubble.  I haven't seen anybody in the portal that screams, "This! This is who we needed" and I doubt any of the "secret agent" guys will either.

The people pumping the sunshine are falling for the same crap we have fallen for every summer for like 8 years now.  The "help is on the way" fallacy.  Players matter but not as much as coaches do in college.  Woodson and staff still haven't figured that out.  They think they are going to buy their way to the big 3 in Miami through the portal.  That isn't how it works at this level.  Yeah, you can accumulate talent that way but THE most important thing is the coaching staff.  We have been given no indication that anything is changing on that front.  No new faces and no commitment to running a different system.

They could go out and land the starting five for whomever wins the championship this year and I would still caution to wait and see because of the staff.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It is if you have a plan.  If you are throwing darts at a board then it might be late.   I don’t know one way or the other which one IUs staff is however being a B1G school with money I can give an educated guess that at least 4 of those spots will be filled by someone when they portal closes 

Not a portal guy, but is Woody going to go after Trent Perry now? Just decommitted from USC. Might as well right? We can start Perry, Tucker, Mgbako and Reneau.

I would like that but he was pretty much a west coast kid and recruit. Doubt he will consider us.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hickman seems likely based on reading tea leaves. But who really knows.

What I do know is the goalposts on what constitutes success in portal have already began shifting.

Still waiting on guys to portal I guess. No Bruce Thornton so far. Where is the elite rim protecting bigs we thought we could challenge for?

I’m going to remain mildly optimistic because what choice do I have.

Rabby seems to think things aren’t going great for us relative to expectations but it also seems Woody is trying to ICE rabby and keep him out of the loop as much as possible.

I thought the bar should be to create a top 25 preseason team considering we have top 5 Nil, that shouldn’t be too hard.

We will get some good players and I'll root like heck for them.  I want us to get good players because Woodson needs to have superior talent to be competitive.  I hope that the staff surprises me, but I'm preparing myself for 2 or 3 good players and some uninspiring bench depth.  I hope that we don't bring in a bunch of players in their last year.  We need to start balancing our classes.

30 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Not a portal guy, but is Woody going to go after Trent Perry now? Just decommitted from USC. Might as well right? We can start Perry, Tucker, Mgbako and Reneau.

We're all thinking it.  That would be a very young team.  Queue up the pre-recorded excuse now.