Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Acuff to Rutgers, thats a bummer for me, I really like his game. He is a straight up scorer. 

Really weird landing spot for him with Bailey and Harper coming in. 

Just now, AH1971 said:

Really weird landing spot for him with Bailey and Harper coming in. 

it is definitely odd, but I am of the opinion if you're going to stack talent, you stack guards that can score. He was ball dominant at EMU, probably won't have to shoulder that, and a small ball lineup with all three would be super interesting. 

Mike isn't going to find anyone in the portal that he is going to trust more than Gallo. You can look at 3pt% and quickness and all kinds of other stuff and im not saying Gallo will or won't be our best guard in 2024-2025 but when it actually comes time to play games and you are in front of 17k fans and the world on TV and playing Kentucky or Kansas or whoever....Mike is gonna want his guy (Gallo) in there at the tipoff and throughout most of the game. Gallo plays 30+ min a game. Unless Mike brings in guards who are NBA level talent like JHS, it's gonna be Gallo's team basically imo. 

just don't see some guy from Iowa or anywhere else coming in and taking control of the ball over Gallo. Mike is oldschool. Unless you are just a stud...he is sticking with his guys imo. 

6 minutes ago, Adillac said:

just don't see some guy from Iowa or anywhere else coming in and taking control of the ball over Gallo. Mike is oldschool. Unless you are just a stud...he is sticking with his guys imo. 

Thats what makes Tucker such a weird fit to me. You obviously take a MCD AA all day and twice on sunday but he is a more athletic version of Gallo. That is what makes me wonder if he wants to be a 2 and we end up with three players playing out of position. Or we do not end up adding a PG and Gallo slides over or comes off the bench. I just have a hard time believing we landed him by projecting him as backup to MM or TG. MCD AAs do not come to IU to come off the bench. The roster is so flawed. I agree with you it would be out of character for Woody to have Gallo not starting. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

One thing to remember about Tucker is he's 17, he doesn't turn 18 till July. He didn't play a lot of AAU and not sure he even played HS last season. In the Mcdonald's workouts the last couple of days he's struggled. Not sure what he has been promised but it's not crazy to think he comes off the bench. 

Where did you see he struggled. I saw this from Shaw that seemed promising 

Jamie Shaw's comments following this morning's McD A-A practice -

Bryson Tucker played with a lot of confidence today. He had a good feel on the ball, probing in the half-court getting in the mid-range and elevating from the elbows. Tucker has impressed this weekend on the defensive end. He has played physically with good athleticism. Tucker’s jump shot has improved, while still a little bit flat. He is better at knocking down shots off the bounce, especially in the mid-range. He is comfortable on the ball and plays good balance. 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Where did you see he struggled. I saw this from Shaw that seemed promising 

Jamie Shaw's comments following this morning's McD A-A practice -

Bryson Tucker played with a lot of confidence today. He had a good feel on the ball, probing in the half-court getting in the mid-range and elevating from the elbows. Tucker has impressed this weekend on the defensive end. He has played physically with good athleticism. Tucker’s jump shot has improved, while still a little bit flat. He is better at knocking down shots off the bounce, especially in the mid-range. He is comfortable on the ball and plays good balance. 

After watching the practices on ESPN +. But he wasn't the only one but I was mostly watching him. Yes I saw after practice two Shaw put him on his top 10 list. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

It's very likely his three point numbers improve. Very good player on a team that won a game in the tournament. 

He was paired with two kids that shot over 10 3s per game and combined shot 37% from 3.  His lack of shooting was nice to be paired with 2 3 pt shooters and a good big.  If I was him I would be thinking of who I am playing with making a choice.  He had a pretty decent amount of talent around him outside and in that allowed him to drive and dish.  

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

with all the smoke around kid from Iowa, could both the iowa kid and rice co-exist as starters?

he's a worse 3p shooter (27.5%) than Perkins!

18 hours ago, IndyHoops said:

I find it hard to believe that Perkins is going to go somewhere to come off the bench. Same with Tucker. So, you have 4 of the 5 starter spots filled with a Perkins commit. I’m fine with this if the last spot is a shooter…backed up by a shooter… with a shooter backing up Perkins 

Do you have confidence that MW will be able to pull that off.  I don’t have any confidence that he will get 1 shooter, let alone 3.

1 minute ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

If NC State can do it with all portal players, then we can too.  Even with CMW

They weren’t even going to make the tourney if it wasn’t for a missed FT by Duke and a Hail Mary three.  They have made a nice run here but they underperformed all season and had to make the tourney to get in.  Keatts was going to be fired if it was not for this run.  He has been below .500 in the ACC and finished 8th or worse in four out of seven seasons.  

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I know it’s tongue in cheek but geez…

We’re talking about second team all Big Ten and first team all Pac 12 point guards. These are excellent players and either would be real upgrades for the roster.

I prefer to take some joy in the prospect of getting really good players to play for Indiana.

Sure, but maybe not excellent players for IU. That is where the roster construction comes in. Neither of those guys accomplished their all conf awards in a vacuum. Perkins had a lot of shooters around him and apparently so did Rice (taking the word of other posters here, I never watched him.) So IF IU brings in a very good to great 3p shooter to pair with the either of these 2? Yeah, rock on!! But if Trey is playing the majority of the off guard mins and Mbako is the only 3p threat on the floor for IU? Well, we've seen what that looks like. It's not unreasonable to say IU needs shooters, and these two ain't that. Doesn't mean they can't help overall, so we'll just have to see if there is a master plan or just scrambling for bodies. 

Just now, IUGRAD06 said:

They weren’t even going to make the tourney if it wasn’t for a missed FT by Duke and a Hail Mary three.  They have made a nice run here but they underperformed all season and had to make the tourney to get in.  Keatts was going to be fired if it was not for this run.  He has been below .500 in the ACC and finished 8th or worse in four out of seven seasons.  

Keatts also unlocked a 2 year contract extension by winning the ACC tourney. Given the same scenario here this place would lose its mind.

2 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Keatts also unlocked a 2 year contract extension by winning the ACC tourney. Given the same scenario here this place would lose its mind.

I would have lost it.  Keatts has been disappointing.  His offense has very little movement.