Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think you necessarily have to rely on Leal. But he's a dude that doesn't need the ball to be effective and he seemed to be about the only guy who understood what basketball was most of the year when he got to play big minutes. But those 5 games were also some of the best basketball the team played all year, all B1G games. So if this staff gives him the green light to fire away... I think he becomes a good piece to sit alongside a non shooter like Galloway(who should be playing the Troy Williams role as a playmaker off slashing and some 1v1) and a post piece like Reneau. Leal and Mgbako would be two 3pt threats. And I'd like to have a guy with Leals attitude and passion starting. I know no one else on the board sees it, but I believe we would be fine with Leal starting and playing 23 minutes. Especially if we are able to get any sort of productive transfers on the bench.

If Anthony Leal is playing 23 mpg next year we will be even worse than we were this season. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

man he TOOK 19 3s all year long... he should never be starting. He should have ALWAYS been playing ahead of Haircut Gunn, but he isn't a starter on a successful, tourney-bound (god is that seriously our benchmark) team. 

And that's your opinion. Yet the team clearly played better this past season when he played. Evident by being 5-0 when he played 20+. Those 5 games were Iowa, at Minnesota, at Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State in the conference tourney. We were 6-10 in all other games that he played in but was under 20 minutes. Those wins were Harvard, North Alabama, Maryland, Kennesaw State, at Maryland and Wisconsin (played 17 minutes).

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And that's your opinion. Yet the team clearly played better this past season when he played. Evident by being 5-0 when he played 20+. Those 5 games were Iowa, at Minnesota, at Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State in the conference tourney. We were 6-10 in all other games that he played in but was under 20 minutes. Those wins were Harvard, North Alabama, Maryland, Kennesaw State, at Maryland and Wisconsin (played 17 minutes).

So basically he played significant minutes against mostly bad teams where IU happen to win.  Listen, I like Leal (less now admittedly after his senior day speech), he has good fundamentals and a high IQ, but the truth is he lacks the speed and athleticism to play significant minutes on a top 25 team.  

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If Anthony Leal is playing 23 mpg next year we will be even worse than we were this season. 

I agree!  12-15 minutes per game at most!

This thread is for discussing potential portal transfers to IU and not current players on the roster.  Please either take the discussion to pms or to a thread about a particular player or roster in general.  Most appreciated.  Thank you.

I will say in terms of players lining up visits, nationally it's been pretty quiet overall.  I think players are sharing their visit schedules less than in the past couple of years.

I think the very few players that have committed are ones who went into the portal already knowing where they were going to go.

Tomorrow and Wednesday should see a jump in portal announcements in general and likely more names being referenced as "contacted by IU".  

Tournament lost 32 teams in the last 4 days.  An athlete who wants to enter the portal asks a university compliance administrator to submit their name. Once the request is made, the school has two business days to submit the information to the NCAA.   

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think you necessarily have to rely on Leal. But he's a dude that doesn't need the ball to be effective and he seemed to be about the only guy who understood what basketball was most of the year when he got to play big minutes. But those 5 games were also some of the best basketball the team played all year, all B1G games. So if this staff gives him the green light to fire away... I think he becomes a good piece to sit alongside a non shooter like Galloway(who should be playing the Troy Williams role as a playmaker off slashing and some 1v1) and a post piece like Reneau. Leal and Mgbako would be two 3pt threats. And I'd like to have a guy with Leals attitude and passion starting. I know no one else on the board sees it, but I believe we would be fine with Leal starting and playing 23 minutes. Especially if we are able to get any sort of productive transfers on the bench.

Are you saying the staff didn't give Leal the green light to shoot?  SMDH.  

4 hours ago, bigrod said:

What is quality talent? We had talent this year. It only moves the needle if it's talent we can win with.

Painful, but true. Started 3 5 stars and an undeniably talented 6th yr PG (half the year.)  

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

If he proves himself to be ready or already has proven that... there's no reason not to count on a scholly player to play for you. 

I think there is a good reason not to count on him. He hasn't played for 2 seasons and never in college. Any freshman has something to prove and Newton has way more than typical. I'm rooting for him, but depending on him to be a contributor in 24-25 is coaching malpractice, imo. 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Need to find a starting and backup point guard. Me personally...

PG- Transfer

SG- Leal

SF- Gallo

PF- Mgbako

C- Reneau

Backup PG

Essegian

Backup wing

Backup F/C

I don't want to hear anything Newton. I'm not trusting that. Woody shouldn't be stupid enough to trust that, but clearly he was with X sooo...

Yikes. If we can't get a starting SG capable of supplanting Leal as a starter, then we'll max out at 15 wins. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Tomorrow and Wednesday should see a jump in portal announcements in general and likely more names being referenced as "contacted by IU".  

Tournament lost 32 teams in the last 4 days.  An athlete who wants to enter the portal asks a university compliance administrator to submit their name. Once the request is made, the school has two business days to submit the information to the NCAA.   

In the past week, 76 teams have been eliminated from the NCAA and NIT tournaments.  Should see an influx into the portal from teams that made it into the post season.