Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

All three of them would be solid choices for Louisville.  Although, I'm not sure Holloway would leave Seton Hall. 

Shaheen Holloway, Pat Kelsey and Amir Abdur-Rahim.

Amir Abdur-Rahim would be a fun choice, did a great job at USF this year 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Amir Abdur-Rahim would be a fun choice, did a great job at USF this year 

Its who I would have my eyes on as a mid major option for IU in a year or 2 if there isn’t a power 5 coach ready to come. 

9 hours ago, iubhounds2 said:

Which Adam Howard is this? The guy that runs a non profit, helping managers get started in their college basketball careers? Or isn't there an Adam Howard involved with IU basketball recruiting? I have searched X but did not see where Adam Howard, non profit, had changed his twitter pic and bio.

Are they not the same guy?

48 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

I am one that thinks he will do well at the P5 level, yet if you look back over the years at the "March Madness One Hit Wonders", few have worked out well or have gone onto conference and NCAA championships

Jim Larranga. Porter Moser. Shaka Smart. Brad Stevens. I’m sure I’m missing a couple, but it’s probably not a particularly bad list with those guys on it. Depending on how you feel about current BE schools who’ve never really been P5 schools you could add guys like Pitino and Crean to it.  

He may or may not work out. Despite some success, Crean never did. It happens.  

But Lville and Michigan are some of the better athletic departments around. If they’re in a bidding war for a mid major (well low major in this case) guy, you can be sure it isn’t some myopic message board narrative promoting May. He was the hottest guy on the market that wasn’t already a winner at a P5 program (and you probably can’t convince me that those guys are really available).  

Having Matta at OSU did suck. He pulled plenty of big Indiana talent and kept more local talent in his own state. Beilen got his fair share of Indiana guys too. With May, Shrewsberry, Painter and maybe someone decent at UL, recruiting the State could get as competitive as its been in a while. We’re going to need every last bit of that NIL.

43 minutes ago, JF87 said:

My guess is that Louisville pivots to Will Wade or sees if UCLA is willing to let Cronin go at a discounted buyout. 

I would’ve guessed cronin initially. I’m sure they’ve already kicked the tires there if they were already all in on May. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Having Matta at OSU did suck. He pulled plenty of big Indiana talent and kept more local talent in his own state. Beilen got his fair share of Indiana guys too. With May, Shrewsberry, Painter and maybe someone decent at UL, recruiting the State could get as competitive as its been in a while. We’re going to need every last bit of that NIL.

Jokes on you. Mediocre Mike doesn’t recruit the state.

24 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

That’s an issue considering the talent that’s in this state.  Matter of Mediocre Mike doesn’t recruit any state.   He thinks if you want to play for Mediocre Mike and want a share of IU’s NIL money, you have to go to him!

1 hour ago, hoosierhoo said:

40 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s an issue considering the talent that’s in this state.  Matter of Mediocre Mike doesn’t recruit any state.   He thinks if you want to play for Mediocre Mike and want a share of IU’s NIL money, you have to go to him!

Every thread will not turn into the Fire Mike Woodson thread.

This is the thread about national coaching hires. We have people reading this thread to learn and comment on that topic.

Thanks

3 hours ago, JF87 said:

All three of them would be solid choices for Louisville.  Although, I'm not sure Holloway would leave Seton Hall. 

Shaheen Holloway, Pat Kelsey and Amir Abdur-Rahim.

If someone suggested those names for IU, people would being stealing fish from Showalter Fountain (still classier than burning couches). I hate to be a cynic but tell me why we should expect better candidates? How much more are we really willing to pay? How much more will our NIL really be? The only problem with IU’s toxic fans is that they have accepted mediocrity for too long, and have moved the Overton window down to a much shittier position.

4 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

If someone suggested those names for IU, people would being stealing fish from Showalter Fountain (still classier than burning couches). I hate to be a cynic but tell me why we should expect better candidates? How much more are we really willing to pay? How much more will our NIL really be? The only problem with IU’s toxic fans is that they have accepted mediocrity for too long, and have moved the Overton window down to a much shittier position.

It is tough as we may also need to be patient with the next coach. We expect to get someone in here who will have us a top 20 team every year but we also want to go to final fours. There just are that many of those coaches out there. Would we be happy with a coach like Matt Painter?  The last few years sure but what about years 7,8 and 9 where they finished 6th, 7th then 12th in the BT.  We would have run him out of town.  

Shaka is an interesting candidate. He took a little time to turn TX around but seemed to be making progress his last 2 years there finishing 3rd in the Big12. Not great but getting there but when Pearl became available he was jettisoned.  

Hopefully we get that top 20 every coach but if not, hopefully we can become more patient (easier with a younger coach) and it pays off in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Every thread will not turn into the Fire Mike Woodson thread.

This is the thread about national coaching hires. We have people reading this thread to learn and comment on that topic.

Thanks

Sorry but I don’t recall saying anything about Fire Mike Woodson but I do apologize because I thought I was in the transfer portal thread and I thought what I said was relevant to that.  My bad!

25 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Sorry but I don’t recall saying anything about Fire Mike Woodson but I do apologize because I thought I was in the transfer portal thread and I thought what I said was relevant to that.  My bad!

No worries—it’s definitely not any one post or poster.

It’s about a tendency to have many threads slide into off-topic-“ihateWoodsonSadness”

It should be a given that the board is open for the frustrated, sad, and pi$$ed off to vent about the current situation. Please trust me that it’s a better read when it is (relatively) segregated into one or two threads.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

It is tough as we may also need to be patient with the next coach. We expect to get someone in here who will have us a top 20 team every year but we also want to go to final fours. There just are that many of those coaches out there. Would we be happy with a coach like Matt Painter?  The last few years sure but what about years 7,8 and 9 where they finished 6th, 7th then 12th in the BT.  We would have run him out of town.  

Shaka is an interesting candidate. He took a little time to turn TX around but seemed to be making progress his last 2 years there finishing 3rd in the Big12. Not great but getting there but when Pearl became available he was jettisoned.  

Hopefully we get that top 20 every coach but if not, hopefully we can become more patient (easier with a younger coach) and it pays off in the long run. 

I wouldn’t be happy with Painter at all. He has lost to an 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 seed in the tournament. This is the type of mediocrity that we shouldn’t accept.

11 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I wouldn’t be happy with Painter at all. He has lost to an 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 seed in the tournament. This is the type of mediocrity that we shouldn’t accept.

That is fine.  Who are the coaches that have results you would be happy with. I think the list gets small for guys we can get.