Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The stock answer is the damage is the "narrative" that Indiana doesn't give its coaches enough time to get rolling.

Which is BS-

Mike Davis-- no explanation needed

Crean- He got 8 years.  He had 3 good/great years out of 6 with a 2 year leeway that no one counts.  He got a lot of time to know what to expect from him-  The georgia job reinforces moving on as the right decision

Archie-Give me a break.  He got 4 years and it was always awful.

Woody-honestly is the most complicated one.  If Woody had age and momentum on his side it would be a no brainer of a decision to have him back.  There would be almost zero question.  However he doesn't have age and surely doesn't have momentum on his side so what is the real advantage of re-building with a guy on borrowed time vs re-building with the next guy assuming we can line up a home run guy.

If anything- Sampson was the biggest debacle of a move.  Should have given him an extenstion!

The common thread here is the leadership above the coach. Our last three AD’s were tremendously shaky hires, and two of them only got the job because of their ties to IU. No one else would’ve even considered them for a P4/5 AD job. The third wasn’t in any real demand either. Poor decisions usually come from un / lightly qualified people. I like Dolson and he loves IU, and he’s easily the best of the three, but it’s not an accident that we are where we are.

Edited by KathywithaC

3 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

The common thread here is the leadership above the coach. Our last three AD’s were tremendously shaky hires, and two of them only got the job because of their ties to IU. No one else would’ve even considered them for a P4/5 AD job. The third wasn’t in any real demand either. Poor decisions usually come from un / lightly qualified people. I like Dolson and he loves IU, and he’s easily the best of the three, but it’s not an accident that we are where we are.

The next AD hire absolutely needs previous AD experience. Period. 

3 hours ago, JF87 said:

Dakich is a joke.  I'm sure he has some knowledge, but he can't help himself but take the non-conformist approach.  If the crowd runs one way, he purposely runs the other way.  His schtick is tiring.  

If Dakich is taking a side opposite of yours today, just wait a day, he'll be with you then.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If Dakich is taking a side opposite of yours today, just wait a day, he'll be with you then.

Sometimes it doesn't even take that long!

Same with BB and FB coaches.

15 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

I mean, presumably when you say it's not an accident we are where we are and Dolson has something to do with that... (I don't deny that)

Feels a bit like misplaced blame, no? This hire was made when Dolson was only 9 months in the job. At the urging of the chair of the board of trustees. Quinn and Scott could be best pals... if the senior person is pressuring you to hire their friend, I don't blame the hiring manager... I blame the senior person being opportunistic and exerting their power in an... uncouth manner. 

If we're going to assign blame, let's be frank. I suppose that's what you mean when you say the common thread being leadership above the coach? Woody's tenure though is not IMO Dolson's failure.

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

I mean, presumably when you say it's not an accident we are where we are and Dolson has something to do that... (don't deny that)

Feels a bit like misplaced blame, no? This hire was made when Dolson was only 9 months in the job. At the urging of the chair of the board of trustees. Quinn and Scott could be best pals... if the senior person is pressuring you to hire their friend, I don't blame the hiring manager... I blame the senior person being opportunistic and exerting their power in an... uncouth manner. 

If we're going to assign blame, let's be frank. I suppose that's what you mean when you say the common thread being leadership above the coach? Woody's tenure though is not IMO Dolson's failure.

Dolson has been around IU and IU basketball for a long time. Buckner had influence, but he didn’t have unilateral authority or anything resembling it. SD was an enthusiastic supporter of hiring Woody and, after Stevens made it clear Dolson’s efforts were in vain, he was very happy to get Woody on board.

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

Dolson has been around IU and IU basketball for a long time. Buckner had influence, but he didn’t have unilateral authority or anything resembling it. SD was an enthusiastic supporter of hiring Woody and, after Stevens made it clear Dolson’s efforts were in vain, he was very happy to get Woody on board.

So why would he be allowed to correct his Tom Allen mistake but not Mike Woodson? 

Doesn't seem to be a good answer aside from BS internal politics (not placing blame solely on QB... I'm sure its the entire ecosystem) 

If Dolson was "very happy" to get a 60+ year old that hadn't been a head coach in a decade, and never at the college level, that's a pretty big negative in his ledger. No active AD would've done that.

7 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

And it’s proving to be a terrible decision.  Time to fix it is now.  The Admin and Trustees are going to fully regret this decision as soon as Christmas next season if not sooner. 

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

If Dolson was "very happy" to get a 60+ year old that hadn't been a head coach in a decade, and never at the college level, that's a pretty big negative in his ledger. No active AD would've done that.

Yep. Indictment of our University’s capabilities of identifying what it takes to fulfill its goals and mission statements. 

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

So why would he be allowed to correct his Tom Allen mistake but not Mike Woodson? 

Doesn't seem to be a good answer aside from BS internal politics (not placing blame solely on QB... I'm sure its the entire ecosystem) 

Because it’s not part of the culture. Allen got three years of complete failure before they let him go, and that was after it was clear to most people that he wasn’t good enough for the job and had no self awareness that he had completely lost control. Miller got four years and, while much better than Allen, was still tone deaf. So Woody, a favorite son who won BT MVP playing in only the last 6 games of an 18 game schedule, is going to get more time unless he decides to pull the rip cord himself. It’s how they’ve done things for years and years. And years.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

And it’s proving to be a terrible decision.  Time to fix it is now.  The Admin and Trustees are going to fully regret this decision as soon as Christmas next season if not sooner. 

Right. I've yet to hear a good explanation for why Dolson would be allowed to correct his Tom Allen mistake without interference but is facing immense pushback when trying to do that for the basketball coach position. Hmmmmmm................

Not only that but not even run an active coaching search. I mean it was kind of a big deal to get that hire right after four years of archie and five years of no tourney. Doesn't sound like any search done to identify legit proven candidates.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, KathywithaC said:

Because it’s not part of the culture. Allen got three years of complete failure before they let him go, and that was after it was clear to most people that he wasn’t good enough for the job and had no self awareness that he had completely lost control. Miller got four years and, while much better than Allen, was still tone deaf. So Woody, a favorite son who won BT MVP playing in only the last 6 games of an 18 game schedule, is going to get more time unless he decides to pull the rip cord himself. It’s how they’ve done things for years and years. And years.

And that’s exactly why we are where we are.  

Peoples feelings and such.  

You don’t always have to burn it all the way to the ground before making a move. 

We have all the evidence in the world to know this hire was a mistake and IS HEADING IN A BAD DIRECTION.

Our University severely lacks critical thinking skills and continues to make the most awful of decisions.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

And that’s exactly why we are where we are.  

Peoples feelings and such.  

You don’t always have to burn it all the way to the ground before making a move. 

We have all the evidence in the world to know this hire was a mistake and IS HEADING IN A BAD DIRECTION.

Our University severely lacks critical thinking skills and continues to make the most awful of decisions.

What was the example somebody shared here recently about how they handled it at Purdue? 

My God... it's just so sad... and pathetic...

Thank you for helping me understand how unserious the leadership at Indiana University apparently is. Genuinely. 
When you see the photo of Woodson smoking cigars with those older guys it explains it all. Those guys are not a majority of fans or even close to iu but they control the money. In fact most fans under 60 could probably care less Woodson played at iu 43 years. But that old guard I guess would rather live 43 years in the past and tell stories.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I still can't believe we hired Mike Woodson.

We absolutely have no idea what it takes to win. But we do have a pretty good idea what keeps the money flowing in.  When these start occupying each and the program is deep in the gutter again we will try some new blood, but not to win, just to rejuvenate the fanbase to keep the money flowing.  Again and again.