Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

4 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I'm not sure high school recruiting can be salvaged.  Coach Woodson turns 66 in 2 weeks.  He's already on the hot seat.  Even if he comes across as a likeable coach, what 4-year recruit is going to want to commit to someone that possibly won't be here.  That leaves us with one and done and portal or Woodson gets an extension to prove that he will be here for several more years.  I think I just $hit myself at that thought.    

Don't even put that thought out in the universe. The IU leadership of would actually do it, he was give a a raise an pushed the buyout back a year for what should've been bare minimum expectations.

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Don't even put that thought out in the universe. The IU leadership of would actually do it, he was give a a raise an pushed the buyout back a year for what should've been bare minimum expectations.

image.png.f04fa840d7a243357398b26f3f82978e.png

I'm not sure high school recruiting can be salvaged.  Coach Woodson turns 66 in 2 weeks.  He's already on the hot seat.  Even if he comes across as a likeable coach, what 4-year recruit is going to want to commit to someone that possibly won't be here.  That leaves us with one and done and portal or Woodson gets an extension to prove that he will be here for several more years.  I think I just $hit myself at that thought.    
Never put an extension past the iu admins.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I don't really see the problem with being a portal heavy or only program.  It might be less risky than HS recruiting, with less time and resources devoted

Just now, yard_dog said:

I don't really see the problem with being a portal heavy or only program.  It might be less risky than HS recruiting, with less time and resources devoted

Teams with 6+ portal kids in one year fail the majority of the time.  

College sports is changing, the portal will be just as important as high school recruiting. You’ll have to land both to be a great program. I personally know coaches that prioritize the portal just as much as H.S recruiting.  

Indiana has a great NIL, we know that. But the head coach isn’t good, kids know that. They can go to Kansas and play for a better coach and make just as much money. 

Woodson will land some portal kids this off-season, but it will be the leftovers the P4’s don’t want. 

2 minutes ago, IUGRAD06 said:

Teams with 6+ portal kids in one year fail the majority of the time.  

And teams with six new freshmen don't?  The problem isn't utilizing the portal, it's the amount of turnover on the roster.

4 minutes ago, yard_dog said:

And teams with six new freshmen don't?  The problem isn't utilizing the portal, it's the amount of turnover on the roster.

Agreed. I couldn’t care less where the players come from, but the stability of our program is non-existent.

Replacing 6-7 players each year is what we are looking at if they don’t get some roster foundation. Need guys who are ready to play with multiple years of eligibility so there is some balance. Pull 3-4 from the portal each year and go. 

Again, this is all theoretical as I don’t have faith this staff can actually pull this off. 

22 minutes ago, yard_dog said:

^^This^^

Optimum roster turnover is four or five spots changed and eight or nine returning a year. That allows for NBA defects and a portal-ist or two.

We had seven new and six returning this year, and are seemingly destined to have about eight new and five returning next year.

That’s backwards and an odds-on losing formula.

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Agreed. I couldn’t care less where the players come from, but the stability of our program is non-existent.

Replacing 6-7 players each year is what we are looking at if they don’t get some roster foundation. Need guys who are ready to play with multiple years of eligibility so there is some balance. Pull 3-4 from the portal each year and go. 

Again, this is all theoretical as I don’t have faith this staff can actually pull this off. 

I actually like going portaling but it doesn’t make for great continuity or foreplanning. 

Given a staff that can really evaluate talent, and make changes in the fly, it’s probably a decent strategy plus 5 stars.  The plan isn’t bad.  

The execution is what should worry us  

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I actually like going portaling but it doesn’t make for great continuity or foreplanning. 

Given a staff that can really evaluate talent, and make changes in the fly, it’s probably a decent strategy plus 5 stars.  The plan isn’t bad.  

The execution is what should worry us  

As you said the execution is what concerns me. Especially because if there's going to be "big changes" to the staff, that means hiring new coaches either in the next what, 10 days? Or during portal season itself... so I wouldn't expect wholesale changes but again. Will those changes be anything other than putting lipstick on a pig? Appears not.

Florida Atlantic looks like a fun place for fans and a good time.  Even a fan in red speedos.  (or something like that).  Good coaching gig with a decent salary for what it is in a warm climate.

Looks like Florida Atlantic team is committed to doing exactly what they want to do vs Memphis State.  Defense and offense and effort has a traditional mixed with a modern style of play.

6 minutes ago, TTT said:

Florida Atlantic looks like a fun place for fans and a good time.  Even a fan in red speedos.  (or something like that).  Good coaching gig with a decent salary for what it is in a warm climate.

Looks like Florida Atlantic team is committed to doing exactly what they want to do vs Memphis State.  Defense and offense and effort has a traditional mixed with a modern style of play.

Yeah, saw that dude.  But hard no on Dusty May if he had anything to do with that floor.  :)   

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah, saw that dude.  But hard no on Dusty May if he had anything to do with that floor.  :)   

Those palm trees are like being on the beach all day.

37 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I live 20 minutes away and have been to a bunch of games there:

It’s a great place for fans! A winning team with a wonderful offense in an arena with cheap tickets, free parking, and only 2,800 seats…every seat is a great one.

It’s an absolutely terrible coaching gig. Relatively low pay. Very low endowment and NIL. The campus has great weather during the school year and awful, awful weather June through September. Kids can’t really play outside during summer vacation. The campus is modern and large but it’s boring, and it’s walled off from walking to anything that isn’t within the campus walls. Lots of commuter students, very low student attendance at games, and very much football, not basketball country. The local media barely reports on FAU basketball games. I work in an office of 30, and FAU basketball has literally never come up in water cooler discussion. Dusty can shop at the local supermarket and he will get more attention from transplant IU fans; the locals won’t know who he is.

As soon as Dusty May leaves it will be back to a lousy college hoops destination. I am very VERY much hoping he leave this April to be the head coach at his alma mater.

This is the only thing keeping me sane right now. The hope that there’s still some way we come out of this mess this year with Dusty lined up to be the next coach. Pipe dream I know.

2 hours ago, yard_dog said:

You need continuity to build a program.  That's best achieved with having players in your system 3-4 years that can assist newer players learning the schemes.  Woodson was complaining this year that the guys were just learning to play with one another in early February.  When you recruit high school kids, you can recruit to need and skill and how they fit your system.  In the portal, you may be able to recruit players that meet your needs and fit your system, but that can be a crapshoot. An example, IU missed on portal guards last year.  When that happens you are just taking what you can get and trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.  

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For your #5?

“Wins the 8/9 game and then beats Purdue by 40 before losing.”

6. IU announces the hire the next day…

And yes, that’s the dream scenario.

Thought about this. Might as well throw in Greg Gumbel, Clark Kellogg, Seth Davis etc. agog at halftime (FAU up 22) and discussing a report from Osterman that May’s expected to take the IU job.