Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to return as coach next season

28 minutes ago, TTT said:

People that are in influential positions and making hundreds of thousands$ usually (3 or 4 or 5 plus) to millions$ often feel they are contributing greatness to society and they are doing you justice by allowing you to breathe the same air as they do.  They do not care about what you think and you should thank them for the favor/s.  There way is always the righteous best way.  Just ask them.  Life is good.

I fall into that class and am in an influential position at my firm —

but —

- My kids’ colleges drain it away

- we breathe the same air

- life is not all about money

- and in that, yes, life is good

Just now, Home Jersey said:

I would too man, but it's not happening... gotta let go of the dream (for now) :(

Yeah I’m sure you’re right. Maybe I just take comfort in knowing there’s others out there that think it could actually be a scenario that happens hahaha 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'd rather have Kenny Rodgers at this point. Heck can't even remember if he's alive but I'll take him either way

I’m having a crazy thought Chris….stay with me yeah Kenny Payne was an awful head coach But one thing he was for KY was an absolute Killer on the recruiting trail. Add to that his time working in the NBA He might be able to help because Woodson isn’t gonna burn up the rd recruiting. Even tho he was a bad head coach he still was at one of the biggest basketball schools in the country so carry’s some cache when walking into a gym. He definitively feels a little icky but he is best friends with Woodson and YA so it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes Director of “Recruiting” or whatever title you want to call it. It will be entertaining to see where this goes!

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I fall into that class and am in an influential position at my firm —

but —

- My kids’ colleges drain it away

- we breathe the same air

- life is not all about money

- and in that, yes, life is good

True

The old stamp of approval vitale gives to every bad iu coach. So predictable. Just delusional.

This is definitely the right thing that ⁦

@IndianaMBB

⁩ is doing .⁦

@MikeWoodsonNBA

⁩ has done quality work during his tenure & just because a year doesn’t meet expectations that u run & fire the coach . - via

@ESPN

App

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Good year is top 1-4 in the conference and a top 4/5 seed in the tournament. Then see what happens in the dance. It’s always a crapshoot. Beat Purdue at least once. 

1) woody has played 2 bigs all 3 years. I don’t believe he will change. I’d let Reneau transfer and get a rim protector and spread the floor. Just don’t think he will. 

2) I think quick athletic guards allow for better defense. This year we didn’t have it and the defense suffered. Year 1 and 2 were much better than this year. X injury isn’t an excuse bc there was an open scholarship and it wasn’t used. 2 years ago there was X and Rob coming off the bench. The D was really good. Last year was X until hurt but JHS filled in and the defense dropped to like 45th in defense. So he needs athletic guards and a rim protector to be a good defense. 

Woodson is going to try and thread a needle with this strategy. We have no choice but to support it until the end of next year bc a change isn’t coming. 

That is all very fair.

I will say that if I were a betting man, I’d bet against Woody’s  defense even with the addition of better guards. I think it’s schematic. Even Woodys first year with the good defense, 3pt defense was an issue and we gave them up at a rate equal to the worst 1/3rd of teams in the country.  Archie’s teams were always pretty solid on defense, and sometimes the few good traits of the old coach can carry over for a few years. We’ve only gotten progressively worse with Woody and I think it is due, in part, to his rules on help defense. By now most teams know if you work the ball a little, you can find yourself an open 3 against us. Athletic guards can recover quicker if you’re out of position, but that can only make up so much of the difference. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

I’m having a crazy thought Chris….stay with me yeah Kenny Payne was an awful head coach But one thing he was for KY was an absolute Killer on the recruiting trail. Add to that his time working in the NBA He might be able to help because Woodson isn’t gonna burn up the rd recruiting. Even tho he was a bad head coach he still was at one of the biggest basketball schools in the country so carry’s some cache when walking into a gym. He definitively feels a little icky but he is best friends with Woodson and YA so it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes Director of “Recruiting” or whatever title you want to call it. It will be entertaining to see where this goes!

I am thinking the same thing.  I’m going to put on my optimistic glasses and see things all Cream and Crimson.

It may not feel like Indiana basketball but let’s recruit the hell out of the portal and build a Dream Team. 

13 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

This is 1000% true. Kenny Payne is a net plus for a college basketball staff, but is also a horrible head coach. An article by papa Bozich from only two weeks ago:

BOZICH | Two Top 20 recruits await word on Payne's future at Louisville
Rick Bozich Feb 24, 2024

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Kenny Payne has not stacked enough victories to be assured a third season as the University of Louisville men’s basketball coach. The howling from U of L fans and critics remains fierce, relentless and understandable. Suffering 47 losses in 59 games set off alarms that got louder when the Cardinals were blitzed by Notre Dame at home Wednesday night.

But that does not mean Payne has surrendered. He has not. Actually, he has taken his recruiting pitch up a notch.There is path forward to Year 3 on his six-year contract — if the administration stands behind him and Payne makes several changes, including his staff of assistants and support personnel. Another motivated group of Louisville fans who support Payne are working to strengthen the program’s pitch in Name/Image/Likeness, the monetary fuel to modern recruiting.

Payne has the attention of two Top 20 recruits — forward Karter Knox and wing Joson Sanon — who are reportedly strongly considering the Cardinals. The recruiting grapevine says they are primed to commit to the Cardinals if they and their parents are assured that Payne will be their coach next season.

Knox, ranked 19th in the Class of 2024, is a small forward, listed at 6 feet 5 inches and 205 pounds. He’s the younger brother of NBA forward Kevin Knox, a player Payne recruited to Kentucky in 2017. Payne’s relationship with Knox’s parents, Michelle and Kevin, has been solid for years. Mom and Dad visited U of L with their son before Christmas.

Knox has been considered a lean to Louisville over UK for weeks. Sanon’s interest in the Cardinals escalated this week after his parents made an unofficial visit to Louisville’s basketball facilities and campus Thursday.

Listed at 6 feet, 5 inches and 188 pounds, Sanon plays on the perimeter for Vermont Academy in Saxtons River, Vt. Sanon is ranked the No. 12 prospect in the Class of 2025, but he is considering reclassifying to the 2024 class.

I'd rather have Kenny Rodgers at this point. Heck can't even remember if he's alive but I'll take him either way

Yeah...he's dead. So he'd fit right in with Woody and his right hand man.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away (or not, in Woody's case)....

Woodson probably really is for sure getting that 4th year and then he and QB can both head off to retirement together. Maybe there’s already a plan in place with Dusty May about taking over after next year, so if we see him stay put at FAU after this season, it could point towards him waiting til Woodson is gone after next year to come here. Just another scenario to throw out there. 

1 minute ago, kottke said:

Yeah...he's dead. So he'd fit right in with Woody and his right hand man.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away (or not, in Woody's case)....

He'd definitely have as much energy as Armond Hill does.

24 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That is all very fair.

I will say that if I were a betting man, I’d bet against Woody’s  defense even with the addition of better guards. I think it’s schematic. Even Woodys first year with the good defense, 3pt defense was an issue and we gave them up at a rate equal to the worst 1/3rd of teams in the country.  Archie’s teams were always pretty solid on defense, and sometimes the few good traits of the old coach can carry over for a few years. We’ve only gotten progressively worse with Woody and I think it is due, in part, to his rules on help defense. By now most teams know if you work the ball a little, you can find yourself an open 3 against us. Athletic guards can recover quicker if you’re out of position, but that can only make up so much of the difference. 

Time will tell. I don’t agree with Archie having good defense. I felt it was a style that the modern game passed by. They gave up too many 3’s for my liking. Same can be said of Woodson but I do think Woodson is a better coach than Archie. But that’s not the debate. 

1 hour ago, TTT said:

‘Chief of Staff’ sounds like IU is on a military operation for its men’s basketball program.  GM position.  Get more people involved and let the money flow for someone who is to join the Elite Status Club.  Life is good.

If it is a parallel to a military operation I'd like to throw my name in for candidacy

I believe it has to do with the Portal in some way. 

Reported elsewhere 2 possible reasons for last night's blockbuster.

1)  Perhaps forestall some current IU players from jumping into the portal.   Players maybe not overjoyed with Woody, but prefer the status quo over having to deal with a new coach and all that goes with that either at IU or at a different program.

2) Rabby has repeatedly said our portal "connections" are much better this season.  Take that for what it's worth.  However, there's no doubt that IU and every other school with roster holes to fill haven't already been doing the back channeling to determine who may be available and who may have interest in IU.  The portal window for undergrad players announcing is much shorter this year.  I believe grad transfers can make a move at any time.

Getting the Woody announcement sooner rather than later lets some portal players feel confident there is stability in the program at least for another year.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Reported elsewhere 2 possible reasons for last night's blockbuster.

1)  Perhaps forestall some current IU players from jumping into the portal.   Players maybe not overjoyed with Woody, but prefer the status quo over having to deal with a new coach and all that goes with that either at IU or at a different program.

2) Rabby has repeatedly said our portal "connections" are much better this season.  Take that for what it's worth.  However, there's no doubt that IU and every other school with roster holes to fill haven't already been doing the back channeling to determine who may be available and who may have interest in IU.  The portal window for undergrad players announcing is much shorter this year.  I believe grad transfers can make a move at any time.

Getting the Woody announcement sooner rather than later lets some portal players feel confident there is stability in the program at least for another year.

Great points. Also as I have added in the other thread. The Simons are going to throw more money in our NIL fund so no portal players should be out of our reach at this point

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Great points. Also as I have added in the other thread. The Simons are going to throw more money in our NIL fund so no portal players should be out of our reach at this point

Good pay for a solid team next year--- hire who we want next offseason. Same money, allocated different ways. 

15 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Time will tell. I don’t agree with Archie having good defense. I felt it was a style that the modern game passed by. They gave up too many 3’s for my liking. Same can be said of Woodson but I do think Woodson is a better coach than Archie. But that’s not the debate. 

Being better than Archie is a low bar. But yet, after next year Woody’s 4 years of teams will probably be worse in avg De than Archie’s 4 teams.

Archie was able to coach a semi-competitive defense. His god awful offenses are what sank him. Ironically his defense’s weakness was 3 point shooting, too. His offense’s were awful shooting teams as well, but he wasn’t able to generate as good of post play as Woody.   

Man it’s brutal watching this program sometimes…lol

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Throwing good money after bad. When I suggested beefing up the NIL to try and attract a proven coach I think it was you that told me we already sit on $6mil so little need to go higher. Now we’re spiking the pot to try and save Woody? 

This program is so a** backwards it’s crazy.  

Edit to add: This isn’t a dig at Chris. It’s just crazy to me to deploy those resources to save a failing coach instead of try and pull off a coup to land a good one.