Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

YOu are quick to get on us about not liking Mike Woodson the basketball coach but I'll at least admit when he does something good like his portal hall this year. But when he schedules something like this you can't even say a bad word about that. Come on now
I don't think anyone really cares if you DON'T like Woodson. It's more about how you show it. It's really pretty disgusting at times.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

I don't think anyone really cares if you DON'T like Woodson. It's more about how you show it. It's really pretty disgusting at times.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Just for the record, I love Mike Woodson the person, not in love with Mike Woodson the coach. 

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Or not as good as others in the Big Ten. It's probably mid-pack of the BT which is par for the course for Mike Woodson

Illinois is playing Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, and Duke

So, Woodson has his billionaire buddies buy him a team, and then builds a weak schedule... it's almost like he's afraid of something. 

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can you point me to UK and Kansas on the schedule?  If one of them shows up after the fact, I will pull back some, but as of right now this schedule is Grade F @$$ and you know it.  Torvik has South Carolina at 54.  That is your big non-conference "home" game.

For the battle for Atlantis you have Gonzaga (10), Arizona (9), Louisville (62), Providence (60), Oklahoma (67), West Virginia (83), and Davidson (157).  I would bet we get Louisville for the first game and then you have to hope you get Gonzaga/Arizona (and win) and then hope for whomever you hadn't played out of that crew.  Most likely you beat that round one team like Louisville, lose to Gonzaga/Arizona, and then get another 60+ ranked team (per Torvik).

The rest of that schedule are teams you beat by 20 at home unless you are Mike Woodson the past few years.

They call him Mediocre Mike for a reason!  Also, based on this schedule it supports the name even more, lol

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So we could have scheduled something tougher than South Carolina this year. OK just making sure

To be fair, they did.  The Battle for Atlantis.

One other clarification -- you did forget to put the fact that Tennessee is on Illinois' schedule this year (although I would have removed Missouri from your list if you want to talk about how tough their schedule is).  That said:

Last year IU's non-conference SOS was 223 accoring to Pom.  This ranked as the 6th toughest out of the 14 Big Ten teams and was ahead of Illinois's schedule last year which was at 260.

Outside of Indiana, my prediction would be that 4 of the other teams in the Battle for Atlantis would be in the top 50 NET and three would be outside the top 50.  Top 50 NET on the road equates to a Q1 game.  Most likely IU will face either 1 Q1 and 2 Q2 or 2Q1 and 1 Q2.  

The other opponents by last year NET:

• SIU Edwardsville:  280 Q4
  • Eastern Illinois 311 Q4
  • South Carolina 51 Q2
  • UNC Greensboro 132  Q3
  • Sam Houston 152 Q3
  • Miami (O) 238 Q4
  • Chattanooga 140 Q3 
  • Wintrop 181 Q4

Totals:  Either 1 or 2 Q1, 2 or 3 Q2, 3 Q3, 4 Q4.

Last year the non-con NET sheet was:  3 Q1, 0 Q2, 2 Q3, 6 Q4.  While the marquee matchups at the top aren't there (although they could be depending on how the Battle of Atlantis plays out), it is a more balanced schedule.

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

So, Woodson has his billionaire buddies buy him a team, and then builds a weak schedule... it's almost like he's afraid of something. Just fire his lazy@$$ and be done with him.

It does appear that way!  I think what little pair he had left after this past season went  up inside to hide!

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just for the record, I love Mike Woodson the person, not in love with Mike Woodson the coach. 

You are definitely harsher on him as a coach than I am, but I would never say I love Mike Woodson the person.  I think the refusal to take responsibility for certain things is a reflection of him as a person and not a coach.

People aren’t going to buy what you’re selling if they have to squint really hard to see it. This non-con schedule kinda sucks lol.

Could be worse… could be better. The way the NET works and how heavily the tournament committee weighs it as a metric, has not been great for the product of college basketball IMO. You’re basically incentivized to beat up bad teams… if you can. Yawn. 

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

You are definitely harsher on him as a coach than I am, but I would never say I love Mike Woodson the person.  I think the refusal to take responsibility for certain things is a reflection of him as a person and not a coach.

I'm saying sitting around a table at Uptown drinking a bottle of wine and talking about life I love that guy. Watching him build, coach a basketball team makes me want to pull out the final 3 or 4 hairs I have left on my head

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

To be fair, they did.  The Battle for Atlantis.

One other clarification -- you did forget to put the fact that Tennessee is on Illinois' schedule this year (although I would have removed Missouri from your list if you want to talk about how tough their schedule is).  That said:

Last year IU's non-conference SOS was 223 accoring to Pom.  This ranked as the 6th toughest out of the 14 Big Ten teams and was ahead of Illinois's schedule last year which was at 260.

Outside of Indiana, my prediction would be that 4 of the other teams in the Battle for Atlantis would be in the top 50 NET and three would be outside the top 50.  Top 50 NET on the road equates to a Q1 game.  Most likely IU will face either 1 Q1 and 2 Q2 or 2Q1 and 1 Q2.  

The other opponents by last year NET:

• SIU Edwardsville:  280 Q4
  • Eastern Illinois 311 Q4
  • South Carolina 51 Q2
  • UNC Greensboro 132  Q3
  • Sam Houston 152 Q3
  • Miami (O) 238 Q4
  • Chattanooga 140 Q3 
  • Wintrop 181 Q4

Totals:  Either 1 or 2 Q1, 2 or 3 Q2, 3 Q3, 4 Q4.

Last year the non-con NET sheet was:  3 Q1, 0 Q2, 2 Q3, 6 Q4.  While the marquee matchups at the top aren't there (although they could be depending on how the Battle of Atlantis plays out), it is a more balanced schedule.

So much easier to reason with somebody who uses actual logic instead of feeling/emotion. Thank you for doing this.

Further proves that people are going to b**** and moan regardless. 

Last year a team like Iowa St. Schedule almost all cupcakes and blew those teams out. They were rewarded a high seed so the committed shows that is the way to schedule 

Just now, AH1971 said:

So much easier to reason with somebody who uses actual logic instead of feeling/emotion. Thank you for doing this.

Further proves that people are going to b**** and moan regardless. 

You could gripe about that in your diary, not the Fire Mike Woodson thread.

Unless you just enjoy antagonizing people? 

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

JFC, Purdue "scheduled" two of their five good non-conference games. The rest were by virtue of playing (and winning) in Maui which is no different than us playing in the Bahamas this year. We will play at worst a Q2 opponent in round 1 and then likely Gonzaga/Arizona in round 2. Win your first two games in the Bahamas and there's a good chance you're leaving with 3 Q1 opponents on the schedule, the same amount as last years non-conference schedule. 

IMG_0026.gif

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

You could gripe about that in your diary, not the Fire Mike Woodson thread.

Unless you just enjoy antagonizing people? 

I'll stick to facts while forming opinions when participating in a message board setting. Facts don't care about your feelings. Feel free to choose your path. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:33 PM, ziggyiu said:

From an outside perspective I can see it, but I also don't think he's that rude, dismissive, and insecure. I could see it being someone close to him. Often times the vitriol on social media is harder on friends and family. 

I have no clue, so don't get me wrong. I'm just curious when I ask: What makes you feel so strongly it's Ya? 

I don't know...the timing of everything...the way tYme spoke on X/Twitter, fell in line with everything that was actually going on. Time with a Y?  Oddly enough, Tyme is active today defending the weak non-conference schedule to bloggers/online folks. I don't know...maybe he tweets like he talks? tYme also appears to be tight with Adam Howard, so I guess those reasons/guesses are my reasoning.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I'll stick to facts while forming opinions when participating in a message board setting. Facts don't care about your feelings. Feel free to choose your path. 

"Dear diary, 

Today the meanies in the Fire Mike Woodson thread were so harsh on him.

They just refuse to see facts because everyone knows there isn't any validity to any way of thinking that's different than mine!

I can't wait to make them eat crow when IUBB goes 22-9 and makes a S16! That will really show them!"

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

"Dear diary, 

Today the meanies in the Fire Mike Woodson thread were so harsh on him.

They just refuse to see facts because everyone knows there isn't any validity to any way of thinking that's different than mine!

I can't wait to make them eat crow when IUBB goes 22-9 and makes a S16! That will really show them!"

Can't tell if I'm more excited for the emotional meltdown that will almost certainly ensue from those who have doubled and tripled down on stupidity or the fact that there will be 4-5 less clowns with an opinion around these parts. Either way, it'll be a win.  

36 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Can't tell if I'm more excited for the emotional meltdown that will almost certainly ensue from those who have doubled and tripled down on stupidity or the fact that there will be 4-5 less clowns with an opinion around these parts. Either way, it'll be a win.  

Waaaahhhhhh. We still be here when Mediocre Mike is nothing more than a bad memory... and history will support the fact that Woodson was a horrible coach.