Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

29 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Bucky has everything to be a major success down the road. Incredibly cerebral, ultra competitive,  lives and breaths basketball,  and knows how to recruit and develop players for his system.  He's very disciplined and demands that from his players. His dream is to coach a blue blood program or Bama.

Mutual friends of his have told me he won't take just any job. His next step will need to be a good situation with strong administration and NIL support. Vandy was interested in him, but their NIL is terrible.  Gonna be interesting to see what his next move will be, and how it might lead to his ultimate goal. 

To quote Tom Crean, IU's administration is toxic. Guess we can scratch ol' Bucky off the list.

Obviously Mediocre Mike wasn’t mediocre as a player at IU. But missing the tournament 2 out of 4 years and never making it past the sweet 16 as a player when the teams immediately before and immediately after him won national championships makes for a nice meme. If he didn’t come off as such an unlikable guy I wouldn’t meme on him. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Sadly, that could be true. Hopefully his competitive nature would lead him to believe he could make it work. We have everything else you could want.

"Believing" he can do it and having the tools to get it done are two different things. I wouldn't hate it, given where we are today and what we have to watch going on in the program.

FIRE MEDIOCRE  MIKE WOODSON.

14 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Of course it was. Only two teams per conference through the 1980 season. Sweet 16 teams like Clemson, Alabama, Creighton or Marquette, San Diego State, and NC State wouldn't have even been in the field. 

Last years national champion UConn wouldn't have been in the field either. 

How would that make it tougher? Regardless there are infinite amounts of more good teams now. Having 130 million more people in the US alone, compared to 1980 makes it more difficult. Let alone the film and prep compared to 1980. 

Though I don't think the "top" teams are as good as they were then. 

3 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'm also a bit interested in what happened at Vandy... need to do some research there.

A) Because it's Vandy

B) Because it's Bryce Drew

C) Because it's Vandy

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How would that make it tougher? Regardless there are infinite amounts of more good teams now. Having 130 million more people in the US alone, compared to 1980 makes it more difficult. Let alone the film and prep compared to 1980. 

Because as you said, there wasn't near the parity as there is today and it was much harder to make the tournament in general. You could be a top 25 team and not make the tournament if you didn't finish top 2 in your conference. It's a huge reason why the NIT was a bigger draw than the NCAAT for so long. A team like FAU making the F4 was unheard of back in the day. It's pretty much common place now.

58 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Criticize Woody the IU coach all you want. There are certainly myriad reasons to do so. And it's deserved. 

But IMO -- let's leave Woody the IU player alone. Dude was damn good. 

Unfortunately, this is what I feared would happen if we hired one of our own and things didn't go well. His legacy as a player is now under fire -- and that just ain't right. 

But that's what happens when you make all about yourself and less about the program.  

Look for example at Mike Ditka.  He was a Chicago Bears legend.  Came in as head coach, turned the program around, won a super bowl, and then massively under performed from there.  As the players and league passed him by, he was borderline nuts. Eventually was fired.  Fans where critical of him during the lean years, but he's still a Chicago legend because he didn't make it all about himself.  

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is much more parity today. No number 1 seed lost their first round game until Virginia in 2018 - 38 years after he was gone.

There were 32 teams in the tournament starting in 1975, and up to two teams from the same conference. The tournament expanded to 40 teams in 1979 and the limit on the number of teams from a conference was completely removed.

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Because as you said, there wasn't near the parity as there is today and it was much harder to make the tournament in general. You could be a top 25 team and not make the tournament if you didn't finish top 2 in your conference. It's a huge reason why the NIT was a bigger draw than the NCAAT for so long. A team like FAU making the F4 was unheard of back in the day. It's pretty much common place now.

The conference limits were removed for the 1979 tournament - so Woodson's last 2 tournaments allowed as many teams as could get into the then 40-team tournament.

3 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

The conference limits were removed for the 1979 tournament - so Woodson's last 2 tournaments allowed as many teams as could get into the then 40-team tournament.

And they got in Woodson's senior year, lost to Purdue. And I'm assuming you weren't alive back then or else you'd know Woodson missed half the year with a back injury and was never right despite winning B10 POY. There was nothing mediocre about Woodson during his playing days. 

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Woodson was a great player at IU. It probably doesn't help that for students today and many fans Mike Woodson the player only exists in old pictures. I've got a cousin that goes to IU currently, her parents would've been young when he played.

I’m old enough to have kids at IU, and have many friends that do, and were not alive much less young for Mike Woodson, IU basketball player. I don’t know him like that and huge numbers of fans are the same. I know Mike Woodson as sub .500 NBA coach and guy who called me not a true fan. I would venture a guess there are plenty in my demographic who could not care less about Woody the IU player. I certainly don’t. I care about the program, not Mike Woodson or what he did or did not accomplish as a player. To my eyes, it seems like the money people are seeing a guy they rooted for in the 70s and not the bad basketball coach. I can empathize with people who knew him that way. It would be difficult for me to see Oladipo or Zeller trash their legacies. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

And they got in Woodson's senior year, lost to Purdue. And I'm assuming you weren't alive back then or else you'd know Woodson missed half the year with a back injury and was never right despite winning B10 POY. There was nothing mediocre about Woodson during his playing days. 

Yeah, I know the story. Fair enough. 

But being a college player doesn't entitle him to come back and destroy his college program. He should never have been hired - in fact, would not have been except for Buckner. He had zero experience as a college coach, and, apparently, no idea what the job even entailed. He just wanted the title, and has been sitting on that title for the past 3 years.

Just now, RoncalliHoosier said:

Yeah, I know the story. Fair enough. 

But being a college player doesn't entitle him to come back and destroy his college program. He should never have been hired - in fact, would not have been except for Buckner. He had zero experience as a college coach, and, apparently, no idea what the job even entailed. He just wanted the title, and has been sitting on that title for the past 3 years.

Didn't say it entitled him to do that either. But calling him mediocre because he didn't win a national title during his playing days is just flat lazy, especially coming from a poster who wasn't even speck during Woodson's playing days. 

6 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I’m old enough to have kids at IU, and have many friends that do, and were not alive much less young for Mike Woodson, IU basketball player. I don’t know him like that and huge numbers of fans are the same. I know Mike Woodson as sub .500 NBA coach and guy who called me not a true fan. I would venture a guess there are plenty in my demographic who could not care less about Woody the IU player. I certainly don’t. I care about the program, not Mike Woodson or what he did or did not accomplish as a player. To my eyes, it seems like the money people are seeing a guy they rooted for in the 70s and not the bad basketball coach. I can empathize with people who knew him that way. It would be difficult for me to see Oladipo or Zeller trash their legacies. 

I also doubt that Oladipo or Zeller have the egos to try. And I also believe that they have families and a support team that would help them to see the reality.

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Didn't say it entitled him to do that either. But calling him mediocre because he didn't win a national title during his playing days is just flat lazy, especially coming from a poster who wasn't even speck during Woodson's playing days. 

Are you really this dense? 

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

There is much more parity today. No number 1 seed lost their first round game until Virginia in 2018 - 38 years after he was gone.

There were 32 teams in the tournament starting in 1975, and up to two teams from the same conference. The tournament expanded to 40 teams in 1979 and the limit on the number of teams from a conference was completely removed.

Right.  That's still not as hard as winning 6 straight against current competition 

3 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Ok, Pops. You know best. 

Regardless of how you paint the picture, Woodson was not the best player to ever wear the cream and crimson. And he's been a horrible choice to coach it from the get go.

The fact that he was butt-hurt when Archie got the job shows just how delusional he is, and demonstrates what an absolute egomaniac he is. His buddy Quinn got him the job and is now keeping him on the job. The fact that he played 45 years ago means squat.

We don't name call here