Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 hours ago, AH1971 said:

You don’t have to compartmentalize anything. Two years ago, IU spent all but 3 weeks ranked, finished 2nd in the B10, and swept the outright champs. And did it with 2 starters missing the majority of the year.

This coming years roster DWARFS that teams roster and that roster had an AA and a top 20 draft pick. Last seasons guards STUNK. Bottom line, that’s it and that’s all. 

So you're saying even just matching the results from 2 years ago would be an underachievement. Got it. B1G championship, top 3 seed, and a S16 should be the expectation since this roster dwarfs the one that did that.

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

This is where the insanity takes over in the thread. Miller never made a tournament or beat Purdue. 

That’d be like the tournament getting canceled in 2023 and saying Woodson only made 1 tournament. IU was a lock for the tournament in 2020. 

Archie also didn’t have millions of dollars to use to spend on immediately eligible transfers. Ware is the only reason last year wasn’t every bit as bad as (or worse than) any of Archie’s IU seasons. Woodson has massive advantages no other IU coach 

For the sake of argument let’s say he’s better than Archie. That’s it. Mike Davis’s last season was marginally worse than Woodson’s best season. He got fired for it back when IU had standards. Woodson got a million dollar raise for it. 

17 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Mike Woodson’s major, horrible problem last season was roster construction. And that’s on him.

For this coming year we have a helluva good roster.

Thanks to the Cooks and the Simons.

15 hours ago, Juwan Moye said:

Feels like a shot at Woodson in this:

"It felt like a perfect fit," McNeeley said. "Coach Hurley is a hard-nosed coach. That's the kind of coach I thrive under. The offensive system they run is perfect for my game. The culture of the team. The sets they run. They are going to help me get better on both sides of the ball. The whole coaching staff are good people."

Rightly so. Woodson would not have used NcNeeley to his full potential, let alone be able to develop him further. Happy for Liam to go where he has a good coach, a good system and a bright future.

24 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Thanks to the Cooks and the Simons.

As if we’re the only school that has a well-funded NIL?

Geez … if you don’t want to give Woody any credit, at least give some to Coach Ya:

We pulled two high-level, three year eligibilty guards because they trusted Ya. Did so on their first and only visit with ZERO NIL bidding war. Also reported (not confirmed) that Ballo signed for less at IU than for other offers he received.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’d be like the tournament getting canceled in 2023 and saying Woodson only made 1 tournament. IU was a lock for the tournament in 2020. 

Archie also didn’t have millions of dollars to use to spend on immediately eligible transfers. Ware is the only reason last year wasn’t every bit as bad as (or worse than) any of Archie’s IU seasons. Woodson has massive advantages no other IU coach 

For the sake of argument let’s say he’s better than Archie. That’s it. Mike Davis’s last season was marginally worse than Woodson’s best season. He got fired for it back when IU had standards. Woodson got a million dollar raise for it. 

Davis's last season IU was 19-12 (9-7) and tied for 4th in the B1G and won a tournament game, he got fired. Woodson was 19-14 (10-10) and tied for 6th with no post season, and IU was afraid if they fired him people might think they were serious about winning. IU's fall is self inflicted, they gave up on expectations and started making excuses for coaches failing to perform.

Davis got fired for doing better. Davis also won 5 out of 6 against Purdue in his last 3 years including sweeps in each of his last 2.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Davis's last season IU was 19-12 (9-7) and tied for 4th in the B1G and won a tournament game, he got fired. Woodson was 19-14 (10-10) and tied for 6th with no post season, and IU was afraid if they fired him people might think they were serious about winning.

Davis got fired for doing better. Davis also won 5 out of 6 against Purdue in his last 3 years including sweeps in each of his last 2.

Woodson would have got a million $ raise with that season Davis got fired for. Oh wait he did.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

I can’t wait to see the game posts next November.  One way or the other there is going to be a lot of I told you so’s.  :)

Wait, how?

don’t we all agree this is a prove it year and the roster is there to win? Or are you still yelling at clouds?

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I can’t wait to see the game posts next November.  One way or the other there is going to be a lot of I told you so’s.  :)

So true!

But not from me. If we have a great season my only mantra to all, including the naysayers will be “This is great-go Hoosiers.”

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Nah the mob will just keep moving goalposts like they’ve done all spring. They are 0-2 as the hope for all the talent to transfer out and the thought that nobody wants to transfer in and play for Woodson never materialized.

edit

The hate for Mike Woodson defies logic

6 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

There's a reason I put might in italics. Woodson got to the tournament, and got whooped, with Miller's players and missed completely with his own so far; at least Davis can say he went to the title game with someone else's players.

Woodson hadn't been a HC in almost 10 years, and was out of coaching entirely for a couple of years; no one else was going to give him another shot and there’s a reason for that.

He wasn’t out of coaching he was on the staff for the Knicks with Thibs when we hired him. 

Just now, sirhoosierlot said:

He wasn’t out of coaching he was on the staff for the Knicks with Thibs when we hired him. 

I didn't say he was out of coaching when we hired him, just that there was a couple years when he was; 18-19 and 19-20 between the Clippers and Knicks.

Point still stands that IU was dumb enough to hire a guy no one else was even considering for HC.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I didn't say he was out of coaching when we hired him, just that there was a couple years when he was; 18-19 and 19-20 between the Clippers and Knicks.

Point still stands that IU was dumb enough to hire a guy no one else was even considering for HC.

This is the prudent point that people for some reason ignore.

If Woodson were fired, what high level basketball program is considering him for their coaching position? The answer is zero.

If you look at B1G coaches objectively you quickly see he’s in the bottom half, if not the bottom third, of head coaches in the conference.

Still going to cheer for our team this year, as I do every year, but my only trepidation about the season at this point has nothing to do with the roster and everything to do with our coach.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Still mad about that? Gonna have to get over it. The rules have changed and we are using our advantage.

Not mad about that. Glad to have the talent. Gonna suck to watch Woodson screw it up again, though. That's all.

52 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Nah the mob will just keep moving goalposts like they’ve done all spring. They are 0-2 as the hope for all the talent to transfer out and the thought that nobody wants to transfer in and play for Woodson never materialized.

edit

The hate for Mike Woodson defies logic

No goalposts moving here. And the hate for Woodson as coach is real. He hasn't done squat. Won a play-in game. Won one first-round game - both with Miller's players. Missed the tournament with his own. Still thinks the game is played inside out. He's simply a legend in his own mind.

He said his job was to win B1G titles and national championships. Then he missed the tournament and told us that he did his job. 

Now he bought a team with NIL. Good for him. Let's see what he does with it. Expect to be underwhelmed and disappointed.