Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Transfer portal season is looking pretty good. Have to give Woodson credit where due. 

The issue is (and I may be totally wrong since the portal is still a relatively new thing) this isn't a sustainable way to run a program, right? You can't just unload and reload every year. Maybe I'm wrong and this is just the way of college basketball nowadays combined with NIL. Sad, but it is what it is right now. 

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

Transfer portal season is looking pretty good. Have to give Woodson credit where due. 

The issue is (and I may be totally wrong since the portal is still a relatively new thing) this isn't a sustainable way to run a program, right? You can't just unload and reload every year. Maybe I'm wrong and this is just the way of college basketball nowadays combined with NIL. Sad, but it is what it is right now. 

I think it can work far better if we get some (primarily?) multi-year transfers. Rice and Carlyle both have three years left. That's a big selling point.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

If your reaction to bringing in really good players is an endless recitation of the same tired "woodson sux" greatest hits? I'm not a fan of those posts.

You asked who the shooters would be in an eight player rotation. You got a response. You countered with a redundant point that you cut and paste, along with golfing.  

I agree with you but at the same time she IMO has a valid point. With 6 or 5 new players on the roster it will take time to learn how to play tougher as a team, learn everyone's game ie: where they want to ball passed to them, a cutback to the basket just by a look at each other, stuff like that. There will be a lot of moving pieces to get into one (a team) and in the past with Woodson asked about that, he comes up with answers like that. I see both points of view ... yours and hers.

Just now, mdiu28 said:

The portal is here and isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. It is absolutely an added element to recruiting. I'm not sure overhauling your roster year after year relying on 7-8 players can be sustained in the long haul, but I believe being able to secure 2-3 college ready players an offseason is a better strategy than relying on freshman. Essentially, I don't think 4-6 man recruiting classes are the way to go anymore. I'd like IU to recruit at least 1-2 four year players a cycle and shoot for a top 25 prospect or 2, but you can absolutely be successful recruiting 2-3 portal guys who can immediately plug and play. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If your reaction to bringing in really good players is an endless recitation of the same tired "woodson sux" greatest hits? I'm not a fan of those posts.

You asked who the shooters would be in an eight player rotation. You got a response. You countered with a redundant point that you cut and paste, along with golfing.  

But what if its the inconvenient truth?

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Watch Woodson do just enough to keep his job after next year. A tournament appearance and first round exit 100% will get him another year. Ugh. Should’ve hired a real coach but kept the same NIL amount. 

Same. The Globetrotters couldn't carry Woodson to a Final Four; if IU actually had expectations and accepted no excuses he would've been fired. He should've been fired before he got back to the locker room after getting ejected against Nebraska.

I remember posters thinking last year was a good portal.

10 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Same. The Globetrotters couldn't carry Woodson to a Final Four; if IU actually had expectations and accepted no excuses he would've been fired. He should've been fired before he got back to the locker room after getting ejected against Nebraska.

I remember posters thinking last year was a good portal.

I think about 95% of us were happy with Ware but knew not landing a guard on top of leaving a scholarship open was extremely disheartening. 

12 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

I do think unloading and reloading is going to be the way things go for most top ended NIL programs.  Woody obviously has some cache in certain circles.  

I usually am against Woodson (style of basketball/results) But i'm going to try to make a pro Woodson point.  

He had a really bad year.  19-14, 20-14 or whatever it was, but it felt and looked way worse.  He lost a McD's all american.  Things looked like it was rock bottom.  Since then, he got a replacement McDonald's AA and is poised to land a top 5 class (If Ballo)  and potentially have the talent to compete with the best.  NIL money is a HUGE part of that.  But other schools have NIL too.  And Big Budgets.  He seems to still be able to sell.  We could be in a far worse place.  At least we look to have talent coming in that can lead to some excitement.  

Now roster construction/Shooting/Style of Play/pace of play are all still huge concerns of mine.  And concerns I'm not convinced are getting fixed.  Woody seems to have a lot to learn to be a top winning college coach, and for selfish reasons I want to see the pace of play increase 3X, and 3 point attempts increase 3X.

Who have we signed other than tucker? I mean he has top 5 nil money of course he will be able to get some players at some point. Money talks.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Who have we signed other than tucker? I mean he has top 5 nil money of course he will be able to get some players at some point. Money talks.

I certainly hope we can be top 5 nil money under Woodson or whoever is next annually.  I hope is this isn't a one-off to try to save Woodson his job.  Needs to be a commitment going forward.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I certainly hope we can be top 5 nil money under Woodson or whoever is next annually.  I hope is this isn't a one-off to try to save Woodson his job.  Needs to be a commitment going forward.  

And on that note.  getting good results and not dividing the fanbase i'd imagine will help with those wishes.

And on that note.  getting good results and not dividing the fanbase i'd imagine will help with those wishes.
Yep, but if he gets this top portal class the goalposts cannot keep moving during the season. If the expectations are high he needs to meet them period. I think he not only underachieved last year he also did the year before
That tjd team was picked to win the big ten.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:41 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

One of my concerns is that the NIL money was provided to prop up Woodson. It's widely known that the Cooks and the Simons are big Woodson fans, so they pony up the extra to get the NIL over the hump for him. I'm genuinely curious if they continue that for who ever is the next coach or if it was just to try to make Mediocre Mike somewhat palatable to the not true fans?

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

One of my concerns is that the NIL money was provided to prop up Woodson. It's widely known that the Cooks and the Simons are big Woodson fans, so they ponies up the extra to get the NIL over the hump for him. I'm genuinely curious if they continue that for who ever is the next coach or if it was just to try to make Mediocre Mike somewhat palatable to the not true fans?

Our NIL got a little boost from those two families this season but we have always had a big NIL. Fans will make up some of that NIL if those two don't give the same amount next season or another booster will step up. 

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

One of my concerns is that the NIL money was provided to prop up Woodson. It's widely known that the Cooks and the Simons are big Woodson fans, so they ponies up the extra to get the NIL over the hump for him. I'm genuinely curious if they continue that for who ever is the next coach or if it was just to try to make Mediocre Mike somewhat palatable to the not true fans?

I do wish they would've just given that support to a good coach instead of hoping they can buy a team that not even Woodson can screw up.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I do think unloading and reloading is going to be the way things go for most top ended NIL programs.  Woody obviously has some cache in certain circles.  

I usually am against Woodson (style of basketball/results) But i'm going to try to make a pro Woodson point.  

He had a really bad year.  19-14, 20-14 or whatever it was, but it felt and looked way worse.  He lost a McD's all american.  Things looked like it was rock bottom.  Since then, he got a replacement McDonald's AA and is poised to land a top 5 class (If Ballo)  and potentially have the talent to compete with the best.  NIL money is a HUGE part of that.  But other schools have NIL too.  And Big Budgets.  He seems to still be able to sell.  We could be in a far worse place.  At least we look to have talent coming in that can lead to some excitement.  

Now roster construction/Shooting/Style of Play/pace of play are all still huge concerns of mine.  And concerns I'm not convinced are getting fixed.  Woody seems to have a lot to learn to be a top winning college coach, and for selfish reasons I want to see the pace of play increase 3X, and 3 point attempts increase 3X.

First off this is not bashing Woodson since everyone is so sensitive about that these days. But I don't think the portal guys we have got so far have anything to do with Woodson selling them anything. Both have had long relationships with Ya. Also, both are getting a lot of money and starting positions. Not much of a sale there. 

I do think Woodson is really good when he is in the room with recruits. But he hasn't been in the room with these two yet. 

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

The portal is here and isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. It is absolutely an added element to recruiting. I'm not sure overhauling your roster year after year relying on 7-8 players can be sustained in the long haul, but I believe being able to secure 2-3 college ready players an offseason is a better strategy than relying on freshman. Essentially, I don't think 4-6 man recruiting classes are the way to go anymore. I'd like IU to recruit at least 1-2 four year players a cycle and shoot for a top 25 prospect or 2, but you can absolutely be successful recruiting 2-3 portal guys who can immediately plug and play. 

Even HS recruits aren't likely to stay 4 years so a transfer with college experience that still has 2-3 years left of eligibility looks pretty good.  I think the days are gone that you recruit someone on the hopes that they develop into a contributor as an upperclassman because there is a decent chance they won't be here that long.

Right now we just have Leal, Galloway, Reneau and Mgbako as players that came here out of HS.  Reneau may or may not stay 4 years.  Mgbako is probably not going to be here that long.

I agree with your comment that we should look for the best 1 or 2 HS players each year and then fill up on more experienced transfers.

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Even HS recruits aren't likely to stay 4 years so a transfer with college experience that still has 2-3 years left of eligibility looks pretty good.  I think the days are gone that you recruit someone on the hopes that they develop into a contributor as an upperclassman because there is a decent chance they won't be here that long.

Right now we just have Leal, Galloway, Reneau and Mgbako as players that came here out of HS.  Reneau may or may not stay 4 years.  Mgbako is probably not going to be here that long.

I agree with your comment that we should look for the best 1 or 2 HS players each year and then fill up on more experienced transfers.

I would agree. Ask yourself, would you rather have 4 years of Gabe Cupps getting progressively better or the option of getting a transfer PG out of the MAC who has 50 games worth of starting experience who can play right away? Kind of what it has boiled down too. I don't necessarily agree with Woodson not trying to actively land guys like Mullins or Sisley, but not landing a 4-6 man recruiting class can be easily mitigated in this day and age. 

Twitter is good times.

Woodson rolling into Assembly next fall with a preseason #1 ranking after destroying everyone in the portal #IUBB

0:27

From

Speaker Of The Hoos(ier) #TrueFan

12:24 PM · Apr 12, 2024 from Indianapolis, IN

·

Views

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m tired of Mike Woodson the person in addition to his mediocre coaching at this point, so there’s really nothing he could do to get me to start supporting him again. I just want him gone. 

A title next year would shut me up, so I wouldn't say nothing.  Frankly, with all the crowing I am hearing about the new way we are recruiting and how well we are doing it, anything less than Top 3 in the BIG and a Sweet 16 should be deemed a failure.  My bar is set high for year 4.  If we aren't beating other P5 teams in November and December and completely blowing the crappy teams out of the water, I am sharpening the pitchfork and dousing my torch in jet fuel.