Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

9 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

It’s the complete opposite. It’s a non-issue. Actually, a non-starter. You have to be looking to be victimized to have a problem with Woodson golfing this weekend.

Man, you are expending a lot of mental energy telling people why they shouldn’t care. Just a suggestion - maybe don’t care so much about if others care?

2 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Yea, I caught that. That’s why I mentioned it. It’s just most of them could field a basketball team right now. It’s optics, not the time or the activity. And I don’t personally care, I was trying to give you a perspective on why people might. And for the record, the dead period is not “do literally no work” week. It only applies to in person recruiting contact. There’s plenty of work being done. Not that I think Woody golfing changes any amount of it for IU lol

What actual work is entailed on Sunday April 7th at 8am in the morning during the weekend of the F4 during a dead week?

I’m signing up if I can get paid $4,000,000+ a yr. To say “ I just gotta get’m over da hump”?  Who wants to be assistant coaches?  Hey, at least we can get paid to f*ck up as much as this dude.!

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

What actual work is entailed on Sunday April 7th at 8am in the morning during the weekend of the F4 during a dead week?

“It’s optics, not the time or the activity.” -Me, 5 seconds ago in the comment you responded to. 

We playing the silly hypothetical game? Okay, find me another tweet of a high major coach golfing on Sunday April 7th at 8am in the morning today. 

15 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

If he does this all summer….then by all means burn him at the stake. But attributing Woodson playing golf at 8am on a Sunday during dead week to being lazy and not working is literally an asinine take.

Guarantee the person who initially posted the tweet had zero clue that Woodson was at a contractually obligated event (that literally thousands of other college coaches are attending) during a no-contact, no-recruiting week. The irony of lazy.

Contractually obligated by who? Highly unlikely

and yes, when you are known for drinking wine, smoking cigars, playing golf when you should be working and you have barely enough players on roster to not forfeit, it might be a good idea to avoid throwing gas on that fire… but seems he doesn’t care.

He needs guards to commit from the portal and right before the portal opens he says he stands behind his belief that the college game is played inside out so I am not surprised he continues to be tone def as well as his supporter

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

He’s literally at a national coaching convention that over 5,000 coaches from all levels of basketball attend. It takes place this time of year, every single year, because it signals the conclusion of the season and precisely why this dead period exists.

The 2nd round of the Big Ten tournament signals the conclusion of IU basketball's season and the beginning of Woodrow's  4 month dead period.

3 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

“It’s optics, not the time or the activity.” -Me, 5 seconds ago in the comment you responded to. 

We playing the silly hypothetical game? Okay, find me another tweet of a high major coach golfing on Sunday April 7th at 8am in the morning today. 

So if it went undocumented it’s fine? There’s a rhyme and reason why it was documented and it’s because the person who tweeted it is very plugged in with the NIL world with connections to several prospective student-athletes. Don’t overthink this one.

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Contractually obligated by who? Highly unlikely

and yes, when you are known for drinking wine, smoking cigars, playing golf when you should be working and you have barely enough players on roster to not forfeit, it might be a good idea to avoid throwing gas on that fire… but seems he doesn’t care.

He needs guards to commit from the portal and right before the portal opens he says he stands behind his belief that the college game is played inside out so I am not surprised he continues to be tone def as well as his supporter

Do we forget that within 96 hours of Woodson leaving for the NABC convention, he:

-landed a 5* recruit

-convinced the Co-B10 FOY to return without even testing the waters

-inked visits from 3 top 50 portal players including the #1 PG

But he golfed on a Sunday morning. The absolute horror!!!

Don't care if he golfs, smokes a cigar, drinks some wine. Do care if he doesn't produce results (he hasn't). 

Don't care if it gets circulated on the internet and people pile on. Personally doesn't move me that much, but understand the reactions.

I'd bet we'll hear a story about Hurley or someone on staff facetiming McNeeley from the stadium tomorrow at some point. Obviously he still has a game, so he's not golfing yet (actually he's on record that he never golfs... doesn't mean others can't and be successful coaches, though). I wonder how much golfing Matt Painter does... honestly curious. Don't hear about/see it, but not looking for it either. 

Does Woody golf more than the average coach or does it just get photographed and shared more often on social media because people are more pumped to be playing with the IUBB HC than the average CBB HC? 

God, I dream of the day we're talking about IUBB playing this time of year instead of what our staff is or isn't doing. 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

So if it went undocumented it’s fine? There’s a rhyme and reason why it was documented and it’s because the person who tweeted it is very plugged in with the NIL world with connections to several prospective student-athletes. Don’t overthink this one.

So would you call it a work-tweet? lol just messing with you..

And yes, it would be, because Mike Woodson needs to stay as far away as possible from anything that could misconstrued as not doing everything in his power to make us better. That’s why it rankles people. As I said before I don’t care, because of course Woody is golfing in Phoenix, but I understand why it would give someone hanging out in the Fire Mike Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters thread a bad taste in their mouth. Just trying to offer some perspective as to why people would disagree with calling it a nothing burger just because it’s dead week. Cheers,

Fire Mike Woodson so we don’t have to care if he golfs a lot anymore. 

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

And yes, it would be, because Mike Woodson needs to stay as far away as possible from anything that could misconstrued as not doing everything in his power to make us better. That’s why it rankles people. As I said before I don’t care, because of course Woody is golfing in Phoenix, but I understand why it would give someone hanging out in the Fire Mike Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters thread a bad taste in their mouth. Just trying to offer some perspective as to why people would disagree with calling it a nothing burger just because it’s dead week. Cheers,

Going to laugh in a week or two when we land a portal recruit (or two) whom have connections to Tim Macdonnell….the man who tweeted about playing golf with Mike Woodson. That spin zone will be a treat.

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Do we forget that within 96 hours of Woodson leaving for the NABC convention, he:

-landed a 5* recruit

-convinced the Co-B10 FOY to return without even testing the waters

-inked visits from 3 top 50 portal players including the #1 PG

But he golfed on a Sunday morning. The absolute horror!!!

I have not forgotten that we have 0 transfers committed when we need to fill out a team and barely have enough kids to play right now.

“0”

Other teams are locking in their targets, some doing it while they are still in the tourney. Woody?

36 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

If he does this all summer….then by all means burn him at the stake. But attributing Woodson playing golf at 8am on a Sunday during dead week to being lazy and not working is literally an asinine take.

Guarantee the person who initially posted the tweet had zero clue that Woodson was at a contractually obligated event (that literally thousands of other college coaches are attending) during a no-contact, no-recruiting week. The irony of lazy.

I did know what was going on this week, but go on.  I thought it was funny because we make fun of Woodson golfing all the time.  However, as someone replying to that tweet said, "Read the room dude."

That being said, I am personally ramping up for the toxicity I plan on bringing around Mike if our rival wins tomorrow.  Chernobyl will look tame in comparison to how I am going to be with him and this program until it appears we have **** figured out.

6 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

And for the record I have no issue with IU moving on from Woodson and would have supported it had it happened this offseason. Wanting Woodson fired for golfing during a dead week for optics that don’t exist however isn’t it.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Going to laugh in a week or two when we land a portal recruit (or two) whom have connections to Tim Macdonnell….the man who tweeted about playing golf with Mike Woodson. That spin zone will be a treat.

You continue to stoke the fire with comments like this. He does little to no recruiting all year which forces him to field an entire team in the portal and is mostly focused on raising money and spending money. NIL NiL NiL when there are players committing to better coaches/programs/systems for less NIL

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

You continue to stoke the fire with comments like this. He does little to no recruiting all year which forces him to field an entire team in the portal and is mostly focused on raising money and spending money. NIL NiL NiL when there are players committing to better coaches/programs/systems for less NIL

NIL and the portal aren’t going anywhere and it’s a new reality that eventually people will come to recognize as the norm. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Wanting Woodson fired for golfing during a dead week for optics that don’t exist however isn’t it.

Nobody is wanting him fired for this in isolation. It's just fodder to support the already existing narratives. 

Until he at least lands a class of portal transfers, he's not going to get any benefit of the doubt especially in this thread. He could end up putting together a great portal haul ("could") and have a great year next year... it's totally technically possible. Why on Earth people would believe that right now when we have half a roster, idk... you're not going to find them in this thread either. And landing a commit or two because he played golf with some big money guy is not going to prove anybody right about anything or require anyone to "spin" anything... if anything it's a sad statement of where things are at for IU and the game of CBB.