Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

29 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I don't have the time to find the clips right now, but I'm fairly sure Hurley has actually made some pretty offensive comments about "hicks" not sure if that was in reference to the south or midwest though lol... point is, I think people can be fairly certain he is a northeast guy with a northeast-based family and that is unlikely to change. 

Yea the only place I could see him going to is the Knicks. 

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Yea the only place I could see him going to is the Knicks. 

That would certainly be interesting... Though I do think a lot of the qualities that make him a great CBB coach, would not transfer to the NBA... Doubt his shtick would go over too well with a bunch of grown men who make more than him and playing at a higher level than he ever has. Tbh I think the aspect of helping develop kids into young men is a big part of what he enjoys about coaching, cliche as it is.

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

That would certainly be interesting... Though I do think a lot of the qualities that make him a great CBB coach, would not transfer to the NBA... Doubt his shtick would go over too well with a bunch of grown men who make more than him and playing at a higher level than he ever has. Tbh I think the aspect of helping develop kids into young men is a big part of what he enjoys about coaching, cliche as it is.

It was a little tongue in cheek, and you are probably right-- but how hilarious would having that psycho on an NBA bench be?

43 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Dammit @Home Jersey, I was hoping that you were the person in Jersey that won the Mega Millions and you were going to put up the cash to save us from this tire fire that has been burning for the last 25 years. I guess I will have to put his thread on my back and win the Powerball to save us. You are welcome, BTB.

1 hour ago, steubenhoosier said:

Interesting conversation on ESPNU radio this morning. Rick Neuheisel was suggesting that Cal is on his way out, and that the logical replacement would be Dan Hurley. That the power, as we well know, will be centered on the SEC and B1G, and that Hurley needs to get to one of those conferences. He also stated that the AD at UConn is a finalist for the Arizona St. open AD position, that the guy was born and raised in Tempe, and that he is trying his best to get to a school with a real football program. Neuheisel went on to state that if the AD left UConn, any allegiances Hurley would have there would be gone as well.

The Cal is gone thought was just Neuheisel's opinion, but if the thought that Hurley could be had next year is accurate, and if in fact this is Woodson's last hurrah, do y'all have any faith that IU would make a push to hire Hurley?

Hurley needs to be the #1 option. You pay him $8 million a year if you have to. You increase the NIL to $10 million. He's the #1 guy you go after. 

33 minutes ago, Trish said:

Hurley needs to be the #1 option. You pay him $8 million a year if you have to. You increase the NIL to $10 million. He's the #1 guy you go after. 

Sure sounds a lot like Billy Donovan 2.0 and Brad Stevens 3.0. Can't ride that rollercoaster again. Guess we just have to watch Mediocre Mike burn it to the ground and then start over when Quinn & Co check out of the board room.

20 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Come on guys. Hurley is probably more unrealistic than Brad Stevens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about Spoelstra? Throw a lot of money at him and... 

TIC

1 hour ago, Trish said:

Come on lol, let's not add to the perception that our fanbase is insane. UConn has won 4 championships since we last made it past the Sweet 16, and he's from the area. Yes, the B1G has more money, but the Big East is always going to be a player in MBB. 

If anything, Hurley should have been a lesson to all the people who wanted a "proven coach" that hiring a winner from lower levels is still how the best programs build success. 

17 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Yes, the B1G has more money, but the Big East is always going to be a player in MBB. 

Maybe. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. They weren’t even in the Big East for one of their titles. I don’t think anything about college realignment is set in stone and probably won’t be until they can break apart the ACC absorb the teams they want into the SEC and Big Ten.  

It sounds stupid because we’re IU. But if it were reported that Kentucky were throwing $12mil/yr at Hurley, nobody would bat an eye. 

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Maybe. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. They weren’t even in the Big East for one of their titles. I don’t think anything about college realignment is set in stone and probably won’t be until they can break apart the ACC absorb the teams they want into the SEC and Big Ten.  

It sounds stupid because we’re IU. But if it were reported that Kentucky were throwing $12mil/yr at Hurley, nobody would bat an eye. 

C'mon... we hired a completely unqualified former player (40+ years out) because he got his feeling hurt, and kept him for 4 years despite his antiquated system and abject failure... no way this administration could seriously consider someone like Hurley without total ridicule.

11 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

C'mon... we hired a completely unqualified former player (40+ years out) because he got his feeling hurt, and kept him for 4 years despite his antiquated system and abject failure... no way this administration could seriously consider someone like Hurley without total ridicule.

Hence my last paragraph where I wrote:

“It sounds stupid because we’re IU.”  

But Indiana being inept won’t prevent the college athletics landscape from continuing to change dramatically. 

42 minutes ago, SamIam said:

If anything, Hurley should have been a lesson to all the people who wanted a "proven coach" that hiring a winner from lower levels is still how the best programs build success. 

Yep. Hurley, Oats, and Keatts have all been HS coaches for about 10 years each, give or take a few. 

Just my personal opinion, but I think I'd specify that along with hiring a winner from lower levels... that winner need a long track record as a HC... I know some (plenty of?) assistants have found success as a HC, but to me, I really value high-level HS HC experience over most P5 assistant experiences. To me that's the difference between a guy like Hurley and Archie Miller.