Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Whatever happened with all those rumors about IU hiring a GM and changing up the staff? I guess that was just total nonsense?

And why haven't we hired Kenny Payne yet? :)

Kenny's getting a disguise together to look like a student; some of the portal targets are gonna get more money than a GM or Chief of Staff would get.

Stevebuscemi GIFs | Tenor

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Whatever happened with all those rumors about IU hiring a GM and changing up the staff? I guess that was just total nonsense?

Mike Woodson doesn’t need no GM. He was in the NBA for 25 years. Kenny Payne can find his own job.

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

It was all smoke and mirrors. Just like Matta and Fife. IMO, it was never was going to be something that Woodson would allow. He's busy doing his job.

It was all smoke and mirrors. Just like Matta and Fife. IMO, it was never was going to be something that Woodson would allow. He's busy doing his job.
Staff shakeup, new shooting coach, etc. Sounds like it was all smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Staff shakeup, new shooting coach, etc. Sounds like it was all smoke and mirrors.

Has Todd Leary started working with the players on shooting yet? Didn't he say that if Woodson was brought back he was going to spend the summer at Cook Hall working with the players on FT shooting and 3pt

11 hours ago, Hornsby said:

I was skeptical of the staff shakeup angle. Who would want to come here as an assistant if the entire staff could be out the door in a year? Always seemed more likely to me that the staff stayed intact and would try and fix the issues. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Has Todd Leary started working with the players on shooting yet? Didn't he say that if Woodson was brought back he was going to spend the summer at Cook Hall working with the players on FT shooting and 3pt

I think Todd said he would love to help with shooting, but Woody has never talked to him.

32 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think Todd said he would love to help with shooting, but Woody has never talked to him.

In a podcast with Coyle he mentioned offering to help with shooting but the staff wasn’t interested. Leary has said MM has by far the best stroke on the team and that it was apparent the very first time he saw MM take a single jumper. Called it perfect form.

Claimed he could have quickly helped Gunn and Cupps as they each have, according to Leary, minor, easy to fix issues with their shots.

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

In a podcast with Coyle he mentioned offering to help with shooting but the staff wasn’t interested. Leary has said MM has by far the best stroke on the team and that it was apparent the very first time he saw MM take a single jumper. Called it perfect form.

Claimed he could have quickly helped Gunn and Cupps as they each have, according to Leary, minor, easy to fix issues with their shots.

Goes to show Woody’s elitist mentality! That is my biggest problem with him, be humble my man!

51 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Open up my MSN page today and see a story speculating on where Robbie Avila might go. Thinking it's a done deal that he's headed to SLU, just for fun -- I click on it.  It includes us, PU, Illinois and Wisconsin -- in addition to SLU. 

It was penned by someone named John Canady of SportsGrid (whatever that is). Anyway, this is what it said about IU ... 

Indiana Hoosiers©Provided by SportsGrid

Mike Woodson has done a great job in Indiana, building a more than competitive roster. With multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers, the team may be on the verge of putting together a historic season. Adding a talent like Robbie Aliva would only help them do that. If the big man were to want to stay in Indiana, perhaps a step up in competition while staying local could be a good selling point.

Let's break this down. 
Mike Woodson has done a great job at Indiana. ... No
Building a more-than-competitive roster ... Depends on what that roster is for. If it's for intramurals, yes. It it's to compete in the upper half of the B1G and get an NCAA bid -- probably not. 
Multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers ... Where? 
On the verge of a historic season ... Huh? 

Sorta makes you wonder how much research "reporters" from these fringe websites actually do -- and why what they write has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

I saw one on FB that made me laugh. It had SLU, of course, but also Duke, Tennessee, Illinois, and IU. 

Also, to your post, "a historic season" could include historically bad and being one of the first teams to miss the B1GT.

Yeah doesn't he own some shot school now? He went from being very critical of Woodson to basically singing his praises like overnight last year.

17 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I'm sure everyone has seen Dan Hurley's clip after a tough loss to Villanova in his second year at UConn, where he said "You better get us now. You better get us now, because it's coming." On McAfee's show before the title game, they played the clip for him and asked how he knew. Hurley makes a comment about sometimes the fans just need to hear something from the Head Coach. Skip to 2:45 in the vid, that full response is worth a listen.

This past season could have been handled so differently by the staff... now we've got a deeply fractured fanbase and sucky basketball team... that trajectory is unlikely to change without major play style changes. Confidence in IUBB... interest in following the normal news cycle this offseason... financial and emotional investment in the program, personally, all on the decline, unfortunately. 

As @WayneFleekHoosier wisely put it the other day... shut up and win.

Full Quote: 

“Number one you’re the coach at UConn and the tradition and history is rich here. The fans, obviously, the expectation is you’re going to be amongst the best. We weren’t very good but we were starting to turn the corner. The culture was coming together, the talent was improving, we started getting pros in the program. You know (chuckles), ya gotta say something to your fan base at that point. Because we weren’t there yet and I think when you’re the coach of a big brand program you gotta have some swagger, some confidence, because people are going to be on your a$$ anyway.”

Nice find.  Beyond the on court struggles, this is why I am done with this regime.  We knew Woody was an average coach at best, but didn't expect him to be such a thin skinned whiner.  How did he survive under RMK with no ability to handle criticism?  If you don't like getting booed (and who would), DO something about it.  But he keeps doing the same things people boo about and there's never any fire or energy.  (And no, whining about the mean fans is not fire.)  His pitiful attitude is seeping into the rest of the program.  It doesn't matter what players are brought in, no organization will succeed with that kind of "leadership".

30 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Yeah doesn't he own some shot school now? He went from being very critical of Woodson to basically singing his praises like overnight last year.

No, I think he is still very critical of Woody the coach.