Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs #2 Kansas - Saturday, 12.16.23 @ 12:30 on CBS

46 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

IU shoots 28.5% from 3 as a team, has bad guard play, but criticizing the man in charge of constructing the roster is “complaining to complain.” Got it, Billy. Please let us know when we’re allowed to start criticizing Woodson for the team he puts on the floor. Apparently the one Archie Miller guy left in the rotation means it’s too soon.

You can criticize all you want, but at least be objective about it.  Who should we have gotten?  And you would be happy with a serviceable guy?  Right.  Some are just hating to hate.  

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He whiffed on getting what we need.  Doesn’t matter how many bigs we get if our guards aren’t up to the task.  This isn’t the NBA where you just take the best players available. You have to recruit based on needs.  

McNeely is definitely something we desperately need and that is a wing shooter. Show me the roster in April before I panic about next year's team.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

McNeely is definitely something we desperately need and that is a wing shooter. Show me the roster in April before I panic about next year's team.

I’m not panicking. But getting two guards up to the task of competing in the big ten is a tall task in the spring. 

A wing shooter is not our biggest need now and it’s not the biggest need for next year.  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

You can criticize all you want, but at least be objective about it.  Who should we have gotten?  And you would be happy with a serviceable guy?  Right.  Some are just hating to hate.  

A serviceable guy is better than the nothing we got 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m not panicking. But getting two guards up to the task of competing in the big ten is a tall task in the spring. 

A wing shooter is not our biggest need now and it’s not the biggest need for next year.  

So now we don’t need shooters?  You guys should get your stories straight. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What makes me think they wouldn’t be serious.  Probably the fact I don’t think the last 3 hires were serious. 

Well we have a new president, also how were they not serious when hiring Crean or Archie. They were proven coaches from a smaller conference and had great success. Crean made the final four and Archie made the ite 8. I here Dusty May's name and he hasn't done anymore than those two. Also if you believe the rumors we went all out for Brad Stevens do they have been serious. Just because things don't work doesn't mean they weren't serious

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A 3 point shooter is our biggest need and McNeely is one of the best shooters in the country.

5 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

A 3 point shooter is our biggest need and McNeely is one of the best shooters in the country.

One who has proven to be good at the collegiate level would be nice. Mgbako was considered a great shooter and scorer but he's shooting 24% from 3.

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

So now we don’t need shooters?  You guys should get your stories straight. 

Of course we need shooters. We need shooters at every position.

we need guards that can lead a team, that can create off the dribble, get others involved and create for themselves and stay in front of their man on D.

we are very far from having a rotation that can do that. 

18 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

“Just hating to hate” get real dude. We just played a freshman Gabe Cupps 37 minutes against the #2 team in the country because we don’t have serviceable guards. Woodson chose to leave a scholarship open and not bring in another guard. Gunn and Leal are unplayable. Xavier is frequently injured. When our lack of guards blows up in his face, that’s on Woodson. 

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Of course we need shooters. We need shooters at every position.

we need guards that can lead a team, that can create off the dribble, get others involved and create for themselves and stay in front of their man on D.

we are very far from having a rotation that can do that. 

If he’s so desperate for names I would look at the guards we looked at in the portal that Woodson just failed to snag. Obviously he thought there was a need he just couldn’t close   And then he rolled the dice that we wouldn’t have injuries and now we have two.  That being said even without injuries our guard rotation probably isn’t at the level we need it 

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

You are impossible. There were guards in the portal that could have helped us, period. Other teams got them, we didn’t and you will argue anything otherwise

Name them then.  Who would you have gotten.  I’m even giving you the benefit of hindsight. 

But, now they have to meet your criteria: “guards that can lead a team, that can create off the dribble, get others involved and create for themselves and stay in front of their man on D.”  That’s a bit more than “serviceable.”

11 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Name them then.  Who would you have gotten.  I’m even giving you the benefit of hindsight. 

But, now they have to meet your criteria: “guards that can lead a team, that can create off the dribble, get others involved and create for themselves and stay in front of their man on D.”  That’s a bit more than “serviceable.”

Not sure where this is going with people but staff went hard after Dalton K, Timberlake,  Dingle, and to an extent Love after that they backed off or didn’t recruit as hard with names like Reeves from Florida, Cormac Ryan,  Gilbert(unlv), Walton from Wichta st, Rice guard,  el Ellis,  and the kid from Dayton Mike S had IU in his top 5.  IU to an extent didn’t go all in on those kids.     Also went after Battle and Ledlum for shooting on the wing positions.   I’m sure there were other guards I’m forgetting but here are some names of the ones I’m remembering 

Not sure where this is going with people but staff went hard after Dalton K, Timberlake,  Dingle, and to an extent Love after that they backed off or didn’t recruit as hard with names like Reeves from Florida, Cormac Ryan,  Gilbert(unlv), Walton from Wichta st, Rice guard,  el Ellis,  and the kid from Dayton Mike S had IU in his top 5.  IU to an extent didn’t go all in on those kids.     Also went after Battle and Ledlum for shooting on the wing positions.   I’m sure there were other guards I’m forgetting but here are some names of the ones I’m remembering 

Hindsight.

Knecht or Love. We are probably top 25 team. Move Galloway to the point. But his free throw shooting concerns for a top 25 level team. He needs to fix that yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Year 1. Barely make tournament. Blown out in round of 64.

Year 2. Title hopes internally. Not a bad season overall. Round of 32.

Year 3. Don’t sniff the preseason top 25. Results so far have been predictable and worse. Currently trending as a very fringe NCAA team. Will likely need a top 5 B1G finish to even make the dance. Lots of time left but if things continue as projected…….l

Yet, if Woody makes the tourney this year, that’ll be 3 in a row. 

Archie never made the tourney. Crean never went 3x in a row. And only Davis’ first three teams did, and those were largely on the backs of the talent Knight built and left.   

It’ll be hard to make the case he isn’t meeting expectations when he’ll be doing things guys who got extended in the past didn’t do. 

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Hate to break it to you, but you're old too.

I'm a bit younger than you guys but I'm old, too. 

On the bright side, we're just old and not dinosaurs like Old Fart.

Class of 66 and I remember watching the Van Arsdale twins in the “Big 10 Game of the Week” in black and white early 60’s. Actually, Class of 66 probably got to see them in person at the IU Fieldhouse. 

Seems like yesterday. (Almost)