Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs #2 Kansas - Saturday, 12.16.23 @ 12:30 on CBS

13 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I was 27 and in grad school on campus. I had my three year old daughter with me that semester so didn't get to enjoy like a normal student.

My mom was on campus when IU won the whole thing in 81 she graduated from IU in 84. My parents didn't meet until after IU she also got her law and her masters from IU. 

Edited by OliviaPope40

Here’s a problem for Woodson too.  We have a roster where there’s no help on the way really for what we are missing. He needs to keep the guys we have and land a solid contributor in the transfer portal. Our best guard is gone after this year and we have two guys clearly staring down the NBA although their play against good teams might indicate they aren’t ready.  That doesn’t mean they are staying. 

He either needs to keep everybody and get one stud. Or get up to 3-4 studs in the portal.  That’s not realistic given his track record. Currently we look to be a worse team in year 4. Peaking in year 2 is not a recipe for success 

This to me is the biggest issue. It's frustrating that our guards aren't good enough right now, but some of that is bad luck. Bates was a 5* that just didn't work out. He didn't get anybody out of the portal for this year, but the portal is a bit of a crapshoot.

The lack of a future plan is the biggest concern IMO. It's unrealistic to expect most freshmen to be impact players, but we don't have a SG in the 2024 class right now, which puts us further behind. McNeeley will help stretch the floor, but he's not a guard. Newton was a nice get this year, but if I recall correctly, he's more of an athlete than a knockdown shooter. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not filling the biggest area of weakness. We've got a good shot with Queen too, which is nice. But that could mean 4 5* forwards/centers and mediocre guards. Nice to have talent anywhere, but I'd prefer the talent allocation was reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m results driven. I like Woodson. Pretty much everything about him (sans sub patterns).

But our results so far have just barely scraped the bottom of expectations that our fans and administration want.

Year 1. Barely make tournament. Blown out in round of 64.

Year 2. Title hopes internally. Not a bad season overall. Round of 32.

Year 3. Don’t sniff the preseason top 25. Results so far have been predictable and worse. Currently trending as a very fringe NCAA team. Will likely need a top 5 B1G finish to even make the dance. Lots of time left but if things continue as projected…….l

Year 4. 1 very good recruit. 2 of 3 our most impactful players don’t project to be back. Building block guys don’t look like stars. We didn’t create a super team in the portal last Spring, why would we this Spring?

I’d say it’s fair to be anywhere on the spectrum from very worried —-mildly content. Portal season always gives a program hope but it comes down to results and results haven’t been too kind to us. And what is changing to get us to that next level? To be determined, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, OliviaPope40 said:

I was in a friend's hotel room watching the Elite Eight game and the final game. That team was not suppose to make that run I thought for a moment they were going to lose to Duke thank god for AJ Moye in that game.

Definitely wasn't supposed to. The 12-13 team was probably better. But, you just have to be playing well in the moment to make a run. All that matters. It's the magic of March Madness. Best team doesn't always win.

53 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I don't view it as "political."  You can.  To me, it's just complainers complaining to complain.  Let's just call them Billys then. 

None of you would be satisfied with a "serviceable" guard.  

IU shoots 28.5% from 3 as a team, has bad guard play, but criticizing the man in charge of constructing the roster is “complaining to complain.” Got it, Billy. Please let us know when we’re allowed to start criticizing Woodson for the team he puts on the floor. Apparently the one Archie Miller guy left in the rotation means it’s too soon.

6 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I watched all my life because of my family. But my earliest memories of actually watching games is the 2002 run. I was 8 at the time. Was absolutely wild driving through town in the back of the truck honking(we live an hour south of BTown but people knew).

You guys make me feel old because I'm 2002 I was 32 and had two kids. 

52 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Definitely wasn't supposed to. The 12-13 team was probably better. But, you just have to be playing well in the moment to make a run. All that matters. It's the magic of March Madness. Best team doesn't always win.

Went to California when we were playing Syracuse and United Airlines lost my luggage and I never got it so I had to get all new clothes.

5 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Solution:  Fire Woody after the season and hire Dusty May.  Woody is 66 and will not be here long no matter what.   Dusty could coach another 20+ years and looks very promising.   See what he can do here.  It can't possibly get any worse and he could very well be the next big thing.  We know what we have with Woody and it's not the answer. 

What has Dusty done that is much better than what Crean and Archie did before co.ing to IU. I le Dusty but if he didn't go to IU would he be on your list

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Scott is like my age lol

Hate to break it to you, but you're old too.

I'm a bit younger than you guys but I'm old, too. 

On the bright side, we're just old and not dinosaurs like Old Fart.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

So having a 5 star wing is whiffing and it looks promising in a 5 star big. Exaggerate much

He whiffed on getting what we need.  Doesn’t matter how many bigs we get if our guards aren’t up to the task.  This isn’t the NBA where you just take the best players available. You have to recruit based on needs.  

6 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Solution:  Fire Woody after the season and hire Dusty May.  Woody is 66 and will not be here long no matter what.   Dusty could coach another 20+ years and looks very promising.   See what he can do here.  It can't possibly get any worse and he could very well be the next big thing.  We know what we have with Woody and it's not the answer. 

What is it with this fanbase and wanting a coach who will be here for 20-30 years? I heard the same nonsense when Archie Miller was hired: "we just got our coach for the next 30 years!!!" People didn't want Woodson because he was too old and wouldn't be here for decades. Why is everyone so concerned about that timeframe? Get the next five years figured out and go from there. Coaches don't stay in one place for that long anymore, and like it or not, our next coach could be much younger but not be here for that long, for any number of reasons. This isn't the 1980's. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not saying that.  Just don’t see a chance for him to have success if something doesn’t change. I don’t expect the administration to try with the next hire either so don’t really see a point in firing him.  If we aren’t going to try and hire a qualified coach then it’s all moot anyway 

Just ridiculous, what makes you think they wouldn't be serious about the next hire. They seemed to put and spend on a football coach who has been a winner every ace he has gone. If you expect the next hire to be a top coach in the country you will be disappointed. Those guys don't leave their job for another top program.

4 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Just ridiculous, what makes you think they wouldn't be serious about the next hire. They seemed to put and spend on a football coach who has been a winner every ace he has gone. If you expect the next hire to be a top coach in the country you will be disappointed. Those guys don't leave their job for another top program.

What makes me think they wouldn’t be serious.  Probably the fact I don’t think the last 3 hires were serious. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

What is it with this fanbase and wanting a coach who will be here for 20-30 years? I heard the same nonsense when Archie Miller was hired: "we just got our coach for the next 30 years!!!" People didn't want Woodson because he was too old and wouldn't be here for decades. Why is everyone so concerned about that timeframe? Get the next five years figured out and go from there. Coaches don't stay in one place for that long anymore, and like it or not, our next coach could be much younger but not be here for that long, for any number of reasons. This isn't the 1980's. 

I think the reason we want a coach to last for 30 years because we know how dangerous a coaching search can be. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Scott is like my age lol

53, was 5 in March of 76 so don't have a lot of memories of that team but I remember everything about 81. I got to the point where I am not going to let an outcome of games to effect me like it use to.  I love to see more championships but if I don't I still have seen more championships than most fan bases have seen. There is a certain team up north that hasn't ever seen one and a lot of others schools are in the same boat. I was blessed early on to see my teams be successful with IU winning 3 and the Reds winning 3 championships as well.