Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Chris Ledlum - Harvard Transfer to Tennessee -- Wait, Make That St. John's

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It's not a secret why Indiana is more attractive to bigs than it is to wings right now.

Really? Indiana obviously needs wings who can shoot. Any player between 6'3" and 6'7" who can shoot is virtually guaranteed a starting job with IU.  

10 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Really? Indiana obviously needs wings who can shoot. Any player between 6'3" and 6'7" who can shoot is virtually guaranteed a starting job with IU.  

And Woodson has had success with developing big men.  Guarantee you that TJD's success was a selling point for Ware.  Meanwhile the shooters IU was supposed to have -- Bates, Kopp, Stewart -- famously didn't fill it up.  Guys who can shoot can find places to play whether it's at IU or elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.e62714152975adfe0f1c8b26c003a87d.png
Damn decision came soon and good news on the horizon. Ledlum won't be playing in the original candy stripes.
Appreciate your straight-forwardness. Your source appears to have been spot on.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

And Woodson has had success with developing big men.  Guarantee you that TJD's success was a selling point for Ware.  Meanwhile the shooters IU was supposed to have -- Bates, Kopp, Stewart -- famously didn't fill it up.  Guys who can shoot can find places to play whether it's at IU or elsewhere.

We just had a one and done guard and don't seem to be having much luck there either though.

10 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We should have moved on several weeks ago!  We should have focused harder on Knecht 

And maybe Knecht was never all that warm and fuzzy about IU.  Just sayin' there could be another reason we didn't seem to make a heavy play for Knecht.

7 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We just had a one and done guard and don't seem to be having much luck there either though.

If we are being truthful, JHS was always going to be one and done. Not saying he didn't improve in his time here - he did. But, he didn't exactly knock it out of the park over the course of the entire season. He is being drafted based on potential, and that was there before he ever stepped foot in Bloomington.

Then you had Bates, who was rated similarly coming out of HS. Whether we like it or agree with it, I'm sure other coaches are quick to point that out.

10 minutes ago, bigrod said:

If we are being truthful, JHS was always going to be one and done. Not saying he didn't improve in his time here - he did. But, he didn't exactly knock it out of the park over the course of the entire season. He is being drafted based on potential, and that was there before he ever stepped foot in Bloomington.

Then you had Bates, who was rated similarly coming out of HS. Whether we like it or agree with it, I'm sure other coaches are quick to point that out.

Disagree about JHS. Every top 30-ish player thinks they may be a one and done.

JHS progressed greatly over the season; he ran point, markedly improved defensively, and showed he could shoot from distance and create his own shot.

He pretty much knocked it out of the park with all of the questions about his game.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Disagree about JHS. Every top 30-ish player thinks they may be a one and done.

JHS progressed greatly over the season; he ran point, markedly improved defensively, and showed he could shoot from distance and create his own shot.

He pretty much knocked it out of the park with all of the questions about his game.

Not saying you're wrong, but I guess I look at his consistency from game to game. He did improve - no doubt - but was wildly inconsistent from game to game. Purdue II was definitely his moment, but he didn't exactly build on that over the rest of the season.

I believe JHS biggest question mark heading into the season was his outside shooting. (I could be totally off on that) I don't think he was a surefire one and done but had the potential and intangibles to make it happen. I believe people inside the program had been talking about him being a one and done since last season.

I get a different feel between JHS and Bates. I was concerned about Bates developing last summer because of major life events he was going through which is completely understandable. JHS had a fantastic season, conducted himself like a professional, and has plenty of room to get better. Those are the main reasons he'll be drafted in the first round after a year of college basketball.

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe JHS biggest question mark heading into the season was his outside shooting. (I could be totally off on that) I don't think he was a surefire one and done but had the potential and intangibles to make it happen. I believe people inside the program had been talking about him being a one and done since last season.

I get a different feel between JHS and Bates. I was concerned about Bates developing last summer because of major life events he was going through which is completely understandable. JHS had a fantastic season, conducted himself like a professional, and has plenty of room to get better. Those are the main reasons he'll be drafted in the first round after a year of college basketball.

You are correct in that JHS's biggest question mark was his outside shooting.  While he hit just 33% of his threes, I think that coupled with a really good midrange game was enough for scouts to feel that he will grow into a pretty good outside shooter.

11 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Having these kids watch IU get shellacked in the tourney by a nobody probably didn't help either.

It's just one game and they were tired. Woody took the program from just outside making the tourney for 30 years straight to making it to the first round. St. Mary's is a great program and we just caught a bad break by not being able to sleep between games.

40 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I guess I misstated that. I just meant there was always a really good chance. No one ever knows for sure, but I think most on here felt he was probably one and done. Regardless, he was already on NBA teams' radar.

Really, the point I was trying to make is that other coaches aren't going to tell players how great our program is. They are going to point out every negative they can when trying to talk a player into rethinking his position. "Yeah, JHS is going to the NBA, but he was already really good. What happened to Bates? Why are they such a bad 3-point shooting team? They aren't running plays for their guards. etc." Whether or not these things are true, they are going to point out any molehill they can and make it into a mountain.

1 minute ago, bigrod said:

I guess I misstated that. I just meant there was always a really good chance. No one ever knows for sure, but I think most on here felt he was probably one and done. Regardless, he was already on NBA teams' radar.

Really, the point I was trying to make is that other coaches aren't going to tell players how great our program is. They are going to point out every negative they can when trying to talk a player into rethinking his position. "Yeah, JHS is going to the NBA, but he was already really good. What happened to Bates? Why are they such a bad 3-point shooting team? They aren't running plays for their guards. etc." Whether or not these things are true, they are going to point out any molehill they can and make it into a mountain.

Completely agree with that and unfortunately that's just part of recruiting. Maybe this off season is the opportunity the staff has to really push players to develop and show what they can take those solid rated recruits to major contributors on a contending team. That would be a major step for this program and coaching staff.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's been a long time since Pepperdine and I don't think any of these kids were alive then, were they? 

March 17th 2000. I remember that game....uggghh. As far as these players being alive then,.....I believe they most likely looked like little squigglys..... lol!

13 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Frustrating if he was a priority of the staff but not sure this guy was gonna be a game changer for us

Agreed. I think Ledlum is a good player that woulda helped IU and sorry to have missed him. BUT, I don't think his skillset fills the greatest need for this roster. 

Knecht on the other hand? I think he is EXACTLY the type of player IU needs.

I'm not as discouraged as some. Getting an upgrade at the #2 and/or #3 is still very doable.