Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Illinois - Saturday, 2/18/23 @ Noon on ESPN

9 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Rough day for JHS but that lead pass to half court not many have the guts to make that play

Just watch his stroke at the line and Epps’. That’s the difference between a kid ready for the moment and one who’s not. Not criticizing Epps. JHS has brass. 

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

People forget how there have been bench players in college who end up as first round picks.  Ultimately JHS has a higher NBA ceiling than a player like Romeo Langford did because Langford can't shoot.  Langford was a 14th pick.

Very few. 

And Langford is an elite athlete who could get to the rim any time he wanted in college. JHS gets backed up by mediocre big ten defenders. Pros will bet they can teach a Langford to shoot; they know they can’t turn an average athlete into a great one.   

Props to JHS for never giving up and coming up big at the end. But  I would be praying the scouts don’t get this tape if I were him, though. Same with NW.  

Just now, Josh said:

This game was awful, it was annoying, it was frustrating. But I think we've actually learned how to win.  Games like this and Michigan would have been losses under Whats His Name.  Now they're wins.  This team makes winning plays at the end and that makes me smile

We've had three frustrating games in a row.

But I wouldn't call two of three in the last three games awful.  With the streak of games being at Michigan, at Northwestern, Illinois, at Michigan State, at Purdue, that would have been a streak of games in the past where we strung together losses.   IMO it was a string where I thought we would go 2-3 but knew something like a 1-4 was possible.  We're sitting at 2-1 right now.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Hot take if im IU im not playing TJD at Purdue.    IU isn’t winning the conference and that game is a bonus game that isn’t going to hurt your seeding if you get beat.   He needs some rest and that is what I would personally do even if he wanted to play 

I actually love this take. He looks worn down and needs a breather. He’s not giving up his last game at Purdue, though. They need to find a way to bring his minutes down until the tourney. 

25 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Winning time = JHS

Tie game, our ball with a minute and a half left.  Your boy passed it to Coleman Hawkins.  Last game at the end he passed it to the top of the backboard.

Look, I don't hate the kid and he certainly has helped us win some games.  But he needs a lot of work.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Just watch his stroke at the line and Epps’. That’s the difference between a kid ready for the moment and one who’s not. Not criticizing Epps. JHS has brass. 

Epps is a great free throw shooter too.  I told my son that guy won’t miss.  Smooth stroke.  Moment got to him. Then Reneau and Geronimo were clowning him on the bench which was an underrated great moment. Go back and watch if ya missed it. 

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

We've had three frustrating games in a row.

But I wouldn't call two of three in the last three games awful.  With the streak of games being at Michigan, at Northwestern, Illinois, at Michigan State, at Purdue, that would have been a streak of games in the past where we strung together losses.   IMO it was a string where I thought we would go 2-3 but knew something like a 1-4 was possible.  We're sitting at 2-1 right now.

I think we finish 2-2 to close it out. Cant really complain about that but I don’t see this team winning at MSU or PU. 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hot take if im IU im not playing TJD at Purdue.    IU isn’t winning the conference and that game is a bonus game that isn’t going to hurt your seeding if you get beat.   He needs some rest and that is what I would personally do even if he wanted to play 

It won’t happen but it’s not a bad idea 

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Epps is a great free throw shooter too.  I told my son that guy won’t miss.  Smooth stroke.  Moment got to him. Then Reneau and Geronimo were clowning him on the bench which was an underrated great moment. Go back and watch if ya missed it. 

Yeah, there are missed free throws and there are WTF free throws.  That free throw was a line drive that never got higher than ten foot.

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

Reece Davis said IU shut the door with the TJD dunk at the end.  Happy now?

Yes. But I was referring to the literal doors open behind the basket when the Illini shot wide open airballs in the start of the 2nd half.

Just now, LIHoosier said:

Yes. But I was referring to the literal doors open behind the basket when the Illini shot wide open airballs in the start of the 2nd half.

No, I meant...nevermind.  If you have to explain a joke it isn't a good joke.

Turns out it wasn't Reece Davis either.  Just his voice twin

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Only gave up 1 offensive rebound in the second half after giving up 10 in the first!

IU actually ended up with 15 offensive rebounds to Illinois' 12.

Decent game for Race Thompson today, at least better than he had been playing.  Can't wait to see what he looks like in his seventh year.

28 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Rough day for JHS but that lead pass to half court not many have the guts to make that play

You’re right that it wasn’t his day, but it’s just awesome to have a guy who makes enough winning plays to help even on a day like that. Uncommon at all, let alone in a frosh