Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Leal's superpower coming in was being a shooter.  That never materialized. He does not have the physical traits to add much and is veteranship is limited by his lack of experience playing in games.  

He needed to develop that superpower but whether that was lack of individual practice or lack of being a gamer I am not sure but that was how he would earn minutes.  Otherwise, he is Pat Knight.  Been around long enough that he can do some things and can help fill in when players are injured, foul issues or just playing bad.  But like Pat, and like the backup QB comparison, he just does not have enough weapons to be a consistent player. 

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Leal's superpower coming in was being a shooter.  That never materialized. He does not have the physical traits to add much and is veteranship is limited by his lack of experience playing in games.  

He needed to develop that superpower but whether that was lack of individual practice or lack of being a gamer I am not sure but that was how he would earn minutes.  Otherwise, he is Pat Knight.  Been around long enough that he can do some things and can help fill in when players are injured, foul issues or just playing bad.  But like Pat, and like the backup QB comparison, he just does not have enough weapons to be a consistent player. 

His lack of physical traits is literally the worst excuse on the planet.

We've talked about this team lacking leadership a bit... I get that everyone has a different temperament/their own style and way of doing things... we sort of see X trying to fill that void (whether effective is an entirely different conversation... I don't much care for his style, most of the time... time and place...). But why is Gallo, a senior and coach's kid, not comfortable being more vocal/getting in guys faces? Leal doesn't really get minutes and the other guys are young/new. Malik could probably handle that role but its a lot on a sophomore who is still developing. Sad because had high hopes for Trey this year, but last year definitely looks like an anomaly now. Rooting for him. 

33 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'll take Leal over X most of the time. Because 0 is better than negative and that's mainly what X has given us this season.

I tend to agree.  Leal should be getting minutes for this team.  X game is flawed. He is fast but plays slow.  As some have said, I think we should be pushing the ball. Gallo has shown he can push it and get to the rim for himself with his floaters and can find others.  He also gets by people on the drive.  He is a better option than X. Then you play Gunn or Leal next to Gallo.  

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

We've talked about this team lacking leadership a bit... I get that everyone has a different temperament/their own style and way of doing things... we sort of see X trying to fill that void (whether effective is an entirely different conversation... I don't much care for his style, most of the time... time and place...). But why is Gallo, a senior and coach's kid, not comfortable being more vocal/getting in guys faces? Leal doesn't really get minutes and the other guys are young/new. Malik could probably handle that role but its a lot on a sophomore who is still developing. Sad because had high hopes for Trey this year, but last year definitely looks like an anomaly now. Rooting for him. 

I thought it was really interesting that Woody, when asked about leadership in the Rutger postgame, said:

"I expect our seniors (to lead); Walker X and Gallo.  Anthony Leal has been great no complaints there. Those three guys are seniors they got to help lead."

In other words; he has four seniors and the three that are good enough players to see substantial court time are not leading. The fourth, who cannot be expected to command as much leadership attention because he's often not the best choice for minutes, is the only one providing real leadership.

People think pressers are ten minutes of coach-speak, but sometimes a coach throws a really important line into a longer diatribe. This is definitely one of those times.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I thought it was really interesting that Woody, when asked about leadership in the Rutger postgame, said:

"I expect our seniors (to lead); Walker X and Gallo.  Anthony Leal has been great no complaints there. Those three guys are seniors they got to help lead."

In other words; he has four seniors and the three that are good enough players to see substantial court time are not leading. The fourth, who cannot be expected to command leadership attention because he's often not the best choice for minutes, is the only one providing real leadership.

PUT HIM ON THE FLOOR WHERE HE BELONGS.

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

His lack of physical traits is literally the worst excuse on the planet.

How so?  If you are not a great skills player you can sometimes overcome that by being a great athlete.  

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

How so?  If you are not a great skills player you can sometimes overcome that by being a great athlete.  

People say he's not a great skills later, but he has equally as good ball handling as a Gunn, Mgbako and Banks. Yet those guys play ahead of him. His court IQ and communication is key. It's something that is non existent with everyone else.

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Gunn is easily a better defender, rebounder, ball handler, athlete and I would say shooter but that can be questioned.

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Tell that to CJ Gunn, Kaleb Banks and Jordan Geronimo and Hanner Perea.

Well isnt that exactly how CJ and Banks get minutes?  CJ's shot is terribly inconsistent, but he has surprisingly been better at applying ball pressure and using his athleticism and length to be a better defender than Leal.  Banks, is a little better shooter but what does he do to help.  He has a knack for getting offensive rebounds and putbacks.  He can also use his speed and drive to the bucket. Geronimo was much the same his first year here.  

Geronimo and Banks were better 3 point shooters than Leal and still added some other things based mostly on athleticism.  

Leal is a great kid.  Very enthusiastic and encouraging on the bench and does not pout about the lack of playing time.  When he is in, he has some moments where he adds value prrimarily because he is a veteran player.  But it is not enough to sit X, Cupps, Gallo.  Perhaps he could displace Gunn if Gunn decides not to play D or Banks occasionally.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Gunn is easily a better defender, rebounder, ball handler, athlete and I would say shooter but that can be questioned.

No he isn't. Gunn plays more. That's about it. He's definitely a better athlete, but for every good play he makes, he makes a stupid one. He might get a get steal, but he'll get blown by his dude as well... So much for that athleticism eh?

Just now, 8bucks said:

Well isnt that exactly how CJ and Banks get minutes?  CJ's shot is terribly inconsistent, but he has surprisingly been better at applying ball pressure and using his athleticism and length to be a better defender than Leal.  Banks, is a little better shooter but what does he do to help.  He has a knack for getting offensive rebounds and putbacks.  He can also use his speed and drive to the bucket. Geronimo was much the same his first year here.  

Geronimo and Banks were better 3 point shooters than Leal and still added some other things based mostly on athleticism.  

Leal is a great kid.  Very enthusiastic and encouraging on the bench and does not pout about the lack of playing time.  When he is in, he has some moments where he adds value prrimarily because he is a veteran player.  But it is not enough to sit X, Cupps, Gallo.  Perhaps he could displace Gunn if Gunn decides not to play D or Banks occasionally.

They get minutes because of being athletic and not being better basketball players. Kinda sounds like a problem.