Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

Player Stats so Far

1 hour ago, Southside said:

We need to figure out how to decrease Kopp's empty minutes...

Kopp is 4th on the team in scoring (9.3 points per game) behind TJD, Reneau, and Xavier Johnson.  He is shooting 52.8% from 3-point range. Bates who is playing approximately the same amount of time (21.5 minutes per game for Kopp versus 20.8 minutes per game for Bates). Yet, Bates is averaging just 5.3 points per game and shooting just 30% from 3-point range. I'm not sure who you think should be filling "Kopp's empty minutes." I suggest Kopp's minutes are right about where they should be at this point in the season. In any event, I doubt there is anything you can do to "decrease Kopp's empty minutes."

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Kopp is 4th on the team in scoring (9.3 points per game) behind TJD, Reneau, and Xavier Johnson.  He is shooting 52.8% from 3-point range. Bates who is playing approximately the same amount of time (21.5 minutes per game for Kopp versus 20.8 minutes per game for Bates). Yet, Bates is averaging just 5.3 points per game and shooting just 30% from 3-point range. I'm not sure who you think should be filling "Kopp's empty minutes." I suggest Kopp's minutes are right about where they should be at this point in the season. In any event, I doubt there is anything you can do to "decrease Kopp's empty minutes."

Sorry man...

Kopp gives us very little in terms rebounds or defense. We need more from the 3s (which he's not great at). 

And you're pointing to stats, which is inflated by 3 games vs cup cakes this year. He was 2-8 (FG) vs Xavier. And his FG% last year was 35%ish (and 9th on the team in FG% right now).. Given his O is very meh, we should expect more in other areas....

Not sure "who" is the answer... just saying we need to figure it out. 

11 hours ago, Southside said:

just saying we need to figure it out. 

Unless you are on IU's coaching staff, Southside, you are going to be disappointed because there is nothing you and the others you include in "we" can do. It is clear that your thinking is not in tune with Coach Woodson's and I doubt you have the access to change his mind.  The Coach is obviously quite comfortable with Miller Kopp in his current role.

10 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Unless you are on IU's coaching staff, Southside, you are going to be disappointed because there is nothing you and the others you include in "we" can do. It is clear that your thinking is not in tune with Coach Woodson's and I doubt you have the access to change his mind.  The Coach is obviously quite comfortable with Miller Kopp in his current role.

Your narrative is bit a silly. Of course I don't have access. But most fans refer IU team as "we". So what is your point?

I trust Woody. But that doesn't change the fact that Kopp's historical stats are super meh, or the fact Kopp is the weak spot right now. I'd guess Woody is hoping other guys develop and he has options as the year progresses. And of course, everyone hopes Kopp improves too. 

Three point shooting for IU so far --

Data from cbbanalytics which split shots three pointers into three zones (left corner, right corner, top of the key;  zones are split into approximate thirds:

IU takes 6.2 corner threes per game and makes 32%.

IU takes 10.8 top the key threes per game and makes 39%.

Opponents:

take 4.6 corner threes per game and make 30%

take 19.6 top of the key threes per game and make 30%.

For reference (and something I didn't think would be the case), corner threes are hit at a significantly percentage than top of the key;  corner threes in D1 are being made at a rate of 37%, top of the key is only at 33%.

4 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

For reference (and something I didn't think would be the case), corner threes are hit at a significantly percentage than top of the key;  corner threes in D1 are being made at a rate of 37%, top of the key is only at 33%.

At least some of that is due to the line being slightly closer on the corners. It's not so much closer that there is that much of difference between the corners and the top of the key, though, so there must be some other factors. I guess in the corner the players might be more likely to be set and shoot in rhythm. Transition threes and others off the dribble might be more likely from the top of the key.

17 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

At least some of that is due to the line being slightly closer on the corners. It's not so much closer that there is that much of difference between the corners and the top of the key, though, so there must be some other factors. I guess in the corner the players might be more likely to be set and shoot in rhythm. Transition threes and others off the dribble might be more likely from the top of the key.

They are only closer on the corners in the NBA.  In college it is the same length all the way around the arc 

13 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

We need that other scoring threat.One who can create his own shot.Im hoping it's Bates but not convinced yet.

Maybe it's Gunn but we can't beat the elite teams with 6 minute scoring droughts.

I’m hopeful that it will be JHS by the 2nd half of the season. Last season XJ was an out of control mess until about the last 10 games. I’m anticipating JHS will improve drastically by that time. 

Updated 11/25/22 -- -- Changes in Bold -- Stats heading into the big games

Per 100 possessions:

Defensive rating (same) -- Banks ranks third, not really enough minutes to include him but his minutes have increased, worth noting

#1 JG

#2 Ren

#3 Race [Banks]

Offensive rating (same, though Gallo still out)

#1 Gallo

#2 TJD

#3 JG

Steals:

#1 JG

#2 Ren

#3 JHS

3PT%

#1 X

#2 Kopp

#3 Gallo (but missed games so minute discrep) (JG next at 33%)

FG%

#1 TJD

#2 - JG

#3 Ren

Boards (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 Race

Blocks (same)

#1 JG

#2 Race

#3 TJD

Per 40 Min

Points - and FG's (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 JG

2P%

#1 JG

#2 Bates

#3 TJD

Boards: (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 Race

Steals:

#1 JG

#2 Ren

#3 JHS

Advanced Stats

Win Shares (same)

#1 TJD

#2 X

#3 Ren

Win Shares per 40:(same)

#1 TJD 

#2 JG

#3 Ren

Defensive win shares:

#1 JHS

a bunch tied for #2 at this point - TJD, X, Ren, Race, JG, Kopp, Bates

Offensive win shares:

#1 TJD

#2 X

#3 Ren, JG and Kopp and Race tied

ADDING: PER (Player Efficiency Rating)

#1 TJD

#2 JG

#3 Ren

Updated 12/11/22 (missing JHS past couple of games so that should be taken into account in looking at these), at 8-2 overall

Per 100 possessions:

Defensive rating (same as to JG and Ren but TJD now 3rd)

#1 JG  (83.5)

#2 Ren (86.3)

#3 TJD (87.8)

Offensive rating (Gallo has now shown on minutes his #1 rank here is deserved, Kopp moved up with his several strong showings)

#1 Gallo

#2 Kopp

#3 TJD

Steals:

#1 JG

#2 Ren

#3 Xavier

3PT%

#1 Kopp

#2 Gallo (now justified on # of shots)

#3 Bates (has really started to take off)

All above now over 40% from the arc

FG%

#1 TJD

#2 - Ren

#3 Gallo (JG is 4th)

Boards (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 Race

Blocks (same)

#1 JG

#2 TJD

#3 Race

Per 40 Min

Points - and FG's (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 Bates

2P%

#1 JG

#2 Bates

#3 TJD

Boards: (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Ren

#3 Race

Steals:

#1 JG

#2 Ren

#3 Xavier

Advanced Stats

Win Shares (same)

#1 TJD

#2 Kopp

#3 Xavier

Win Shares per 40:(same)

#1 TJD 

#2 JG

#3 Gallo

Defensive win shares:

#1 TJD (think JHS would be here but for missing games)

#2 Race and X

#3 Kopp, Ren, JHS

Offensive win shares:

#1 TJD

#2 Kopp

#3 Bate

PER (Player Efficiency Rating)

#1 TJD

#2 JG

#3 Ren

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2023.html