Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes housing has gotten much better in the last 5 years. We now have at least two premium buildings in every neighborhood. All buildings will be renovated once we finish Wright Quad next year. We are slowly going to just freshmen living on campus. We don't have much left over for returning students after housing 13K freshmen but we have a few buildings for that. 

My son will be in the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. Everything we've been to over there so far has been first-class. They don't accept everyone in that school and it competes with everyone. 

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything on campus. I don't know it all but I usually know someone who can help. Feel free to send me a DM

They used to make this incredible spice/molasses cookie in the dorms back in the late 80s early 90s.  Can you find that recipe for me? Still miss those things.  

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes housing has gotten much better in the last 5 years. We now have at least two premium buildings in every neighborhood. All buildings will be renovated once we finish Wright Quad next year. We are slowly going to just freshmen living on campus. We don't have much left over for returning students after housing 13K freshmen but we have a few buildings for that. 

My son will be in the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. Everything we've been to over there so far has been first-class. They don't accept everyone in that school and it competes with everyone. 

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything on campus. I don't know it all but I usually know someone who can help. Feel free to send me a DM

I was absolutely shocked when we moved the kid into McNutt several years ago.  Hadn’t changed at all since I had been there in the 80s.  But, typical IU.   

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

I was absolutely shocked when we moved the kid into McNutt several years ago.  Hadn’t changed at all since I had been there in the 80s.  But, typical IU.   

We got rid of the mold so it changed some. Those Kelley kids don't need anything nice, they're going to tear it up anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that both McNutt and Wright were almost complete re-dos recently, no?

Not at the time my kid was there.  It was the exact same, down to the plywood fixtures for closets and such.  They did redo it after to get rid of the mold.  

On 4/2/2024 at 7:31 AM, str8baller said:

If I had to guess... RMK was such a tour de force in personality by the 90s that he subsumed almost complete control of the basketball program. IU probably had very little capable talent in the AD anyways at that time. So when he was abruptly canned there was very little institutional knowledge left in the basketball dept. The administrations desire to distance itself from all things Knight probably further exacerbated the problem.  

Now we seem to be in the opposite tailspin having reconciled with Knight: a couple of his long time guys are given preference despite not having accomplished anything at IU in 40 years. 

I made a post about it in another thread a while ago, but I think the whole thing should just be torn down to the studs. Fire everyone,  hire the best AD in the country,  and give him complete and total control to rebuild. 

I agree. If this were any other organization, sports or otherwise, it would be nuked then rebuilt with a stronger foundation. This will never happen though. The program is profitable and there is little to no incentive to change the power structure. It’s undeniable, at this point, that winning isn’t as high a priority as they’ve led us to believe. I have ZERO faith that this will ever get turned around in my lifetime…. I’m only 38. 

I’ll be interested to see what happens with Buckner as chair. 

All the more reason our administration sucks!  According to Tom Crean, Calipari tried to get IU in the CBS Sports Classic that Kensucky, North Carolina, UCLA and Ohio State played in and might still play in.  In 2014 Calipari wanted IU, Kensucky, North Carolina and UCLA to start playing in every year and then we would play each team every 3 years.  To me that would have been a way to help get back our blue blood status and not to mention a good recruiting tool but instead, our administration said no.  That could of helped spring us forward but instead they keep holding us back.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/tom-crean-says-iu-had-chance-to-resume-kentucky-series-in-2014/

I can't find the thread, but someone was commenting last week on IU's very positive record this year when Leal played 20+ minutes per game. While there were other determining factors outside of Leal that contributed to that record, however it does raise a discussion on Leal's role next year.  Leal will be 5th year senior and should be able to help with leadership.  He knows IU's offensive and defensive positioning and defensive rotations.  Despite his average quickness, our defense was solid with Leal on the floor.  Assuming that Woodson has learned the value of experience and system knowledge, how many minutes per game do we anticipate from Leal next year?  

4 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. 

If Anthony Leal is getting more than 20 mpg next year, we likely just weren't able to land someone better in the transfer portal. 

We would be in trouble.

Yep. By all accounts he seems great in the "locker room presence" older guy role who can be surprisingly solid on the floor in a pinch. Expecting him to contribute in a significant way on a winning B10 team is just asking too much of him IMO. 

So what's the plan for 24-25 ??? IU still needs a backup center and a pure shooter, even if he comes off the bench. My brain cells are active this morning trying to piece together starting lineups and different lineup combinations. Of course foul trouble will play a role in who plays when. He might say it but I have yet to see Woodson yank a player out due to poor play or too many turnovers. Finally IU has depth that we as fans have complained about annually after the seasons starts. Pre season IU's bench is full of all-Americans based on write-ups.

One given ... Baso is in the middle, clogging it up at $1.2M. I also think you have to pencil in Rice and Carlyle as starting guards, with Malik and MgBako with hopes of Reneau improving enough over the summer to spend most of his time outside, yet his inside game is his game.

That leaves Gallo coming off the bench, did he agree to that before grabbing his '24 NIL $$ ?? 

With depth that IU has based on players "signed" more than a couple of combinations can be played. They can go small when needed with Baso in the middle surrounded by Gallo, Rice, Carlyle and MgBako. Or they can add those four to Reneau in the middle with Baso resting or in foul trouble.

Surely we will not see the "hockey platoon NBA" substitution method EVEN IF there are 10 good players by the end of signing period for '24-'25. I see Woodson sticking to an 8 player combo by the time the B1G season starts.

Of course injuries will be a factor also ... and there will be some, some major or minor, and totally unexpected. At least it is looking like IF that were to happened there are players on the bench that can fill in.

Cupps WILL improve over the summer. The kid is too driven not to. Plus isn't it said that the most improvement is from the freshman to sophomore year?? Newton hasn't played in two years, major injuries and although his videos look impressive, those videos don't include the speed of the game ... Ask Banks about that. IMO anything that Newton can do positively on the court is icing on the cake with no expectations. Leal will play less than he did last year but at the same time will come up with a wining shot or key made shots during a tight game ... but on the other hand would he even be in a tight game with Gallo, Rice and Carlyle and an unnamed shooter at this time?

To run 4 out 1 in and Baso or Reneau in the middle, ALL current roster players will have to improve their 3 point shooting. Isn't that what Woodson said most of the year "we just need to hit shots" ... a few interviewers said they don't miss them or foul shots in practice ... so there is that to factor in. They CAN hit both but for some reason they DON'T on a consistent basis in games.

Just think what that would do to a season of hitting a few more 3's and a LOT more foul shots ???

I know, to hit a 3 you have to shoot a 3 ... still with Reneau and Baso inside, that is a positive in my book. "Layups or Three's may win a majority of games per data but it didn't help ISU in they NIT final nor the PUkes loss. 

Defense improvement, LESS turnovers based on the two new incoming guards compared to the bad XJ has to make a difference.

After all this rambling ... it comes down to players mostly and coaching. NO excuses all year ... play the game. 

There are so many combos with this group that is already signed on the dotted line, I still don't have an answer on who or what to play.

2 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

So what's the plan for 24-25 ??? IU still needs a backup center and a pure shooter, even if he comes off the bench. My brain cells are active this morning trying to piece together starting lineups and different lineup combinations. Of course foul trouble will play a role in who plays when. He might say it but I have yet to see Woodson yank a player out due to poor play or too many turnovers. Finally IU has depth that we as fans have complained about annually after the seasons starts. Pre season IU's bench is full of all-Americans based on write-ups.

One given ... Baso is in the middle, clogging it up at $1.2M. I also think you have to pencil in Rice and Carlyle as starting guards, with Malik and MgBako with hopes of Reneau improving enough over the summer to spend most of his time outside, yet his inside game is his game.

That leaves Gallo coming off the bench, did he agree to that before grabbing his '24 NIL $$ ?? 

With depth that IU has based on players "signed" more than a couple of combinations can be played. They can go small when needed with Baso in the middle surrounded by Gallo, Rice, Carlyle and MgBako. Or they can add those four to Reneau in the middle with Baso resting or in foul trouble.

Surely we will not see the "hockey platoon NBA" substitution method EVEN IF there are 10 good players by the end of signing period for '24-'25. I see Woodson sticking to an 8 player combo by the time the B1G season starts.

Of course injuries will be a factor also ... and there will be some, some major or minor, and totally unexpected. At least it is looking like IF that were to happened there are players on the bench that can fill in.

Cupps WILL improve over the summer. The kid is too driven not to. Plus isn't it said that the most improvement is from the freshman to sophomore year?? Newton hasn't played in two years, major injuries and although his videos look impressive, those videos don't include the speed of the game ... Ask Banks about that. IMO anything that Newton can do positively on the court is icing on the cake with no expectations. Leal will play less than he did last year but at the same time will come up with a wining shot or key made shots during a tight game ... but on the other hand would he even be in a tight game with Gallo, Rice and Carlyle and an unnamed shooter at this time?

To run 4 out 1 in and Baso or Reneau in the middle, ALL current roster players will have to improve their 3 point shooting. Isn't that what Woodson said most of the year "we just need to hit shots" ... a few interviewers said they don't miss them or foul shots in practice ... so there is that to factor in. They CAN hit both but for some reason they DON'T on a consistent basis in games.

Just think what that would do to a season of hitting a few more 3's and a LOT more foul shots ???

I know, to hit a 3 you have to shoot a 3 ... still with Reneau and Baso inside, that is a positive in my book. "Layups or Three's may win a majority of games per data but it didn't help ISU in they NIT final nor the PUkes loss. 

Defense improvement, LESS turnovers based on the two new incoming guards compared to the bad XJ has to make a difference.

After all this rambling ... it comes down to players mostly and coaching. NO excuses all year ... play the game. 

There are so many combos with this group that is already signed on the dotted line, I still don't have an answer on who or what to play.

On the bolded, you hear people say that but it's not always true. Oladipo's biggest jump was between sophomore and junior year.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

On the bolded, you hear people say that but it's not always true. Oladipo's biggest jump was between sophomore and junior year.

We can only hope I guess then. In today's new world of college basketball you have to wonder how many will make it to their junior year on the same time for that improvement to take effect? I am anxious to see what happens next year when FINALLY the "covid year" is gone. Were there any others besides Oladipo, that played at IU that did most of their improvement between their sophomore and junior year?? Serious question as I don't know off the top of my head. I am sure there are more than a few others.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

@Chris007 any news on Adidas? Is it normal for a deal to wait out this long?

I think those deals are finalized and announced in July if I remember right.

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

@Chris007 any news on Adidas? Is it normal for a deal to wait out this long?

I have no reason to believe we won't resign with Adidas. I believe we have till July to finalize the deal