Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

39 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

He’s a few outside shots, albeit, not consistent but still they are outside 3 feet. He’s going right a little more but still not shooting with his right hand, which concerns me.  

Race is rebounding more, handling the ball more and has hit a few 3’s.  Also, I think his free % has increased since the beginning of the year.

Leak’s defense has

He's hit 2, maybe 3, shots that would be considered anything other than outside the lane. That's.Not.Great nor what was alluded to with him returning. What has he done with his right hand that would make a decent+ defender believe he's going to have to guard anything besides him going back to his right. You defend him going left, over his right shoulder, and make him shoot over you. Watch what happens when he goes up against the better bigs in conference. He's basically* the same player as last season.

Race is rebounding a little more, happy for that and that needs to continue with other players also rebounding more. He's turning to push after rebounding this year. How is that impacting winning? If he was rushing it up the floor and creating quick offense that would be great. If he was dribble driving against opponents bigs to get buckets that would be great. He's handling it in situations that isn't really doing much. He's hit a few 3's... with his percentage dropping. What does that do? Does it force defenses to defend him behind the arc? It's meaningless unless it impacts the offense. It hasn't and there isn't improvement in his %. He's basically* the same player. I would like to see others match his effort. If they matched his effort we might be a little better on defense and rebounding.

Leal's defense has improved? Really? What happened at the end of the first half against PSU? Leal entered the game and PSU went right at him for a bucket to take the lead at half. He's improved marginally but not sure that is saying much. He's not really at the level of defending wings in the Big 1.o. Can he get there? Sure, it's going to take a lot of effort. I'm sure he's willing to work at it. What would be even better is becoming multidimensional on offense and MOVING to wear the opponent down. Leal struggles, like most of our wings, with lateral quickness. HOPEFULLY, he'll get there but he's not there yet.

52 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Bottom line is Wisconsin got great play from their guards and Purdue didn’t. Sometimes it happens. Unless your like Aloha and think it was Purdue letting Davis get into a rhythm or something, you can’t always control for player variance or hot nights (or vice versa) like that.

Please, don't tell me this is a foreign concept for you. When you allow players to get wide open looks they're going to hit at a higher percentage. When you allow a shooter to get into a rhythm they're going to hit at a higher percentage. You can't control for player variance or hot nights when you don't take teams out of what they want to do. 

How many players (and teams!!) have gotten red hot against us over the past handful of years? I guess a player (or an entire team) just has their hot night against us. How long has this been an issue? We've avoided some of that this year but it hasn't been because of stellar defense. We've played some teams that are bad shooting teams. We'll see how it plays out over the course of the Big 1.o season. I'm sure it'll just be "luck" or a player getting "hot" against us. We have the worst luck....

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Please, don't tell me this is a foreign concept for you. When you allow players to get wide open looks they're going to hit at a higher percentage. When you allow a shooter to get into a rhythm they're going to hit at a higher percentage. You can't control for player variance or hot nights when you don't take teams out of what they want to do. 

How many players (and teams!!) have gotten red hot against us over the past handful of years? I guess a player (or an entire team) just has their hot night against us. How long has this been an issue? We've avoided some of that this year but it hasn't been because of stellar defense. We've played some teams that are bad shooting teams. We'll see how it plays out over the course of the Big 1.o season. I'm sure it'll just be "luck" or a player getting "hot" against us. We have the worst luck....

Kinda agree—we let those meh Penn State shooters get in a rhythm—true true true.

But Johnny Davis? He’s just a cut above.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Kinda agree—we let those meh Penn State shooters get in a rhythm—true true true.

Well Murray for Iowa is going off against Maryland with 35 points.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Unless we start doing something different on defense we're going to be claiming a lot of Big 1.o players had their "high" variance games against us or that we just couldn't control them. It's not winning basketball.

12 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

What has TJD improved since the beginning of the season? Ditto for Race and Leal? TJD is the same player he was last season. He's not rebounding nearly enough for his abilities. His FG% in Big 1.o games is nothing to be bragging about. The crazy thing about that is our conference opponents haven't been that great. Crazy!

This team has wayyyyyyy more issues than just "X figuring it out."

We did drop our turnovers against PSU. Improvement! We've hit a better % from deep against inferior competition. That's not going to work in the Big 1.o when defenders aren't leaving the 1 or 2 shooters we have and we refuse to run good sets for those shooters.

We can agree to disagree.  

I will say this, CMW needs to change the mindset of X pretty darn quick!  He needs to be a pass first only type of point guard that gets the ball moving and his teammates involved.  He only takes shots when he is completely open, and that includes drives to the basket.  A lot of times X drives to the basket with only one he sole purpose of scoring and he takes some ugly looking shots.  His drives need to be kick outs, IMO.  

Guard play and a lot of standing around when TJD has the ball are the primary things wrong with this team, IMO.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I will say this, CMW needs to change the mindset of X pretty darn quick!  He needs to be a pass first only type of point guard that gets the ball moving and his teammates involved.  He only takes shots when he is completely open, and that includes drives to the basket.  A lot of times X drives to the basket with only one he sole purpose of scoring and he takes some ugly looking shots.  His drives need to be kick outs, IMO.  

Guard play and a lot of standing around when TJD has the ball are the primary things wrong with this team, IMO.

I would say in a more macro sense our main problem is just consistent effort.  When the guys pass the eye test of trying they are pretty good.  But we just don’t do that consistently on both sides of the ball.  If we were putting effort in and not getting results that’s one thing but not even putting in effort is just a huge red flag and the same red flag that showed me Archie wasn’t going to work out. 

Effort is a response to being motivated. If you aren’t putting in effort in games what are the odds you really putting in effort outside of games.  

And at the end of the day our guys just don’t seem to mind losing 

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It's not just X, there's absolutely no reason Race should be jacking up 3s 5 seconds into the shot clock.

I would say in a more macro sense our main problem is just consistent effort.  When the guys pass the eye test of trying they are pretty good.  But we just don’t do that consistently on both sides of the ball.  If we were putting effort in and not getting results that’s one thing but not even putting in effort is just a huge red flag and the same red flag that showed me Archie wasn’t going to work out. 

Effort is a response to being motivated. If you aren’t putting in effort in games what are the odds you really putting in effort outside of games.  

I wouldn't be against starting bates at the point and moving x to the bench. At least Bates has shown to have at least some basketball IQ

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this. There are levels to it, as well. We go into chill mode for a half most games. I was hoping the second half of the Cuse game would be a turning point. That was followed up by doing the exact same thing, giving effort for a half then and chilling for a half. It’s cool to be cool and not go all out, still. Was hoping that was an Archie thing but it’s culture thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, HoosierX said:

It's not just X, there's absolutely no reason Race should be jacking up 3s 5 seconds into the shot clock.

That I 100% agree with too!  I don’t mean to sound like it is all X’s fault, because it is not, but great guard play is important and that is something we haven’t seen for a long long time!

Speaking of Race, I watched film session on Inside The Hall and on two occasions there was a drive to the basket and both times Race drug his man down on the same side, which congested the lane, and it resulted in a turnover.  The coaching staff needs to get that corrected.

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That I 100% agree with too!  I don’t mean to sound like it is all X’s fault, because it is not, but great guard play is important and that is something we haven’t seen for a long long time!

Speaking of Race, I watched film session on Inside The Hall and on two occasions there was a drive to the basket and both times Race drug his man down on the same side, which congested the lane, and it resulted in a turnover.  The coaching staff needs to get that corrected.

I can’t argue with that!  I think we all see that on some aspect.  TJD is supposed to be working on his leadership, what better way to prove you are leading by example is going out and putting effort in on both ends, not just when you want to or feel like it.  Getting 5 rebounds is unacceptable!

It's already starting to set in for me. We have a very lame resumé and we've lost our most significant games. Maybe we still make the NCAA's but I doubt it. Seems like no matter how many times we change coaches, the results just don't improve. This program is broken and I'm not sure how it ever gets fixed. 
Yep

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

On 1/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, maharkn said:

I wouldn't be against starting bates at the point and moving x to the bench. At least Bates has shown to have at least some basketball IQ

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Basketball IQ alone doesn't make you a great ball handler.  Bates is not a point guard at this juncture.

apathy.....I skipped watching the 2nd half of tonights game (kids had 1st Upwards practice) to avoid getting upset. I missed out on Trey Galloway balling out and us dominating the #13 team in the country...... annnnnd im upset now. 

Upwards is a great program. My oldest just finished up and my youngest is just getting started. Loved the Church, atmosphere, and people. Lifelong memories.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

[/thread]

We’ll see.  The calling card of this team for years has been inconsistent effort and performance.  One game isn’t going to prove anything.  They have to put effort in at home and the road.  Against ranked teams and I ranked teams alike.