Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

few turnovers and decent three point shooting percentage weren't bad.  It's not like he was C.J. Gunn as a freshman.  If Cupps had been playing second minute units he wouldn't have been exposed defensively like he was.

Oh he's better than Haircut Gunn, for sure. 

The defensive end didn't bother me. He competes there, he understands where to be/rotations/close outs/quick reaction. In fact, I think he's a really good defender. 

I hate his offensive game, though. I don't even know what his offensive game is at this point... like I don't see where he grows enough on that end of the court to ever start for us. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The defensive end didn't bother me. He competes there, he understands where to be/rotations/close outs/quick reaction. In fact, I think he's a really good defender. 

I hate his offensive game, though. I don't even know what his offensive game is at this point... like I don't see where he grows enough on that end of the court to ever start for us. 

But he already has started. :)

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Aside from the 22 games he has already started I agree with you…..LOL

That being said I do agree that he basically brought the ball up the court and then laterally passed the ball to someone and presented almost zero threat. That is, to say the least, not optimal but the guy was a young freshman that no one expected to contribute much his first year.
Will he work out ? I don’t know but it seems like some (I don’t know your take) want us to have 4 year guys that develop but if they are not immediately great some want to throw them overboard. 

I don't think anyone wants him to leave. He just needs to be a lot better. He's great as our 11th-13th guy... I just wouldn't be upset, if he got upset and left. 
I want my 11-13 guys to be doing at least one thing extremely well. I don't find Cupps fills that requirement. At best, he's just okay at some things. Over hyped recruit who really really wanted IU, but a mid major was his ceiling.

JMO

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

43 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

I want my 11-13 guys to be doing at least one thing extremely well. I don't find Cupps fills that requirement. At best, he's just okay at some things. Over hyped recruit who really really wanted IU, but a mid major was his ceiling.

JMO

Basketball isn't a game where you get extra credit for doing one thing extremely well.  I'm also not sure what hype you are referring to.  He was the 131st ranked recruit by 247.  IU had not a recruit that low since 2020 -- he was the lowest rated recruit Woodson has had.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think anyone wants him to leave. He just needs to be a lot better. He's great as our 11th-13th guy... I just wouldn't be upset, if he got upset and left. 

I don’t mean this other than a question— not trying to be a jerk — I remember you saying he was better than Hulls coming into IU and had comparisons to Yogi. Obviously that didn’t pan out but that happens (like I thought, on information from a scout I know, Geronimo would be better than vic coming in). 
Don’t you think Cupps has the skillset to turn into minimally a solid B1G point? I’m confused— you were really big on Cupps now you’re really down on him at least offensively. From where I sit he wasn’t ready for major minutes, his body wasn’t there and he also didn’t have a green light to shoot from deep — but he takes care of the ball pretty well and now with a season under his belt, an offseason in the weight room, and a bunch of new scoring options around him, I see a guy who can grow into a good point guard. Why give up on him?

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

few turnovers and decent three point shooting percentage weren't bad.  It's not like he was C.J. Gunn as a freshman.  If Cupps had been playing second minute units he wouldn't have been exposed defensively like he was.

He also has been an incredibly team first guy who has went out of his to help in recruiting.

Jumping off from my post above I see a kid who with frosh to soph growth, much needed in the weight room but that’s there for the taking, can be a solid point, particularly off the bench. Smart, sees the floor well, works hard on D. Needs to build up strength and improve his burst - quickness, needs to find shooters more and launch his own shot more, but his foundation is solid, this is a kid imo who can be good.

He might not even play this year. Three or four guys likely wont be playing come conference time. There is no way 12 or 13 guys are playing during conference play. None of the new guys will be sitting so it becomes a math game.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Jumping off from my post above I see a kid who with frosh to soph growth, much needed in the weight room but that’s there for the taking, can be a solid point, particularly off the bench. Smart, sees the floor well, works hard on D. Needs to build up strength and improve his burst - quickness, needs to find shooters more and launch his own shot more, but his foundation is solid, this is a kid imo who can be good.

Cupps is actually pretty damn strong for his frame.  There were videos posted of him preseason on here where I believe he set the IU freshman reps record.  Needs some work on his foot speed and decision making on screens and he needs to trust his shot more (and stop floating on his jumpers).  

From all accounts, he is one of the hardest workers on the team.  Just needs to get out of his own head.

JMO

He wasn't ranked in the top 100 he was maybe overhyped by some fans but not recruiting services

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Cupps is actually pretty damn strong for his frame.  There were videos posted of him preseason on here where I believe he set the IU freshman reps record.  Needs some work on his foot speed and decision making on screens and he needs to trust his shot more (and stop floating on his jumpers).  

From all accounts, he is one of the hardest workers on the team.  Just needs to get out of his own head.

I agree and noticed his tendency to float with his momentum on his shots.  Focus on planting and going up straight and that should help.  Maybe spend some time off the ball next season when he comes in but not sure that will work depth wise.  

I do like how he kept calm and did not turn the ball over a lot. Now he did not score or get many assists either but I would really like to see him as with more confidence and experience 

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

That’s interesting, but reps is more cardio/endurance, not straight body strength. I’d be more interested in hearing his bench press and dead lift. Regardless agree on speed - burst. Decision-making comes with experience at college game speed — remember Yogi leaving his feet in the lane repeatedly before realizing he didn’t have a pass lined up? Cupps sees the floor, I’m not worried about decision making that’ll come. And yeah he brings great effort and is all about the team by all accounts— I look forward to seeing him develop further, I see promise in his game at the 1

Basketball isn't a game where you get extra credit for doing one thing extremely well.  I'm also not sure what hype you are referring to.  He was the 131st ranked recruit by 247.  IU had not a recruit that low since 2020 -- he was the lowest rated recruit Woodson has had.  

Basketball is DEFINITELY a game where a one trick pony gets his time to shine. Why do teams swap out players during games, offense to defense, or good FT shooter for poor, quicker player for a plodder. Why does everyone here want shooters, even if they can't guard a chair. It's a huge part of the game. I don't know what games you watch if that's not apparent.  

The hype from IU forums (yes, INCLUDING HERE) is where the hype came. It set a tone where Cupps was more than enough, more than just an adequate backup for XJ. The rainbows and unicorns came crashing down when X went out. You really believe if Cupps hadn't played with James son, and gotten all that attention, he'd even been ranked that high.

Basketball is not difficult. Find the mismatch and take advantage. Cupps WAS the mismatch. Every other team knew that too. Maybe three yrs from now, he won't be, or maybe he'll just be an older version of the same.

I like the kid, his work ethic, his attitude, his commitment, and as a teammate. Not so much on the court though.