Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This is my opinion, okay?  I'm just calling it as I see it.   He has very little understanding of spacing, where to be, when to be there, when to screen or why; bad footwork...  Just doesn't look or play like a basketball player.  More like a tall kid who's playing because his friends tell him he "should play basketball."  He's soft, doesn't like contact (doesn't block out, doesn't use his body in the post, very foul prone, etc), and I just don't think he's a kid who will ever be a solid Big Ten big.  Michael Durr is far better.  I'm sure many will understand what I mean by that.

Pretty much agree, with the caveat that his ceiling is very high.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This is my opinion, okay?  I'm just calling it as I see it.   He has very little understanding of spacing, where to be, when to be there, when to screen or why; bad footwork...  Just doesn't look or play like a basketball player.  More like a tall kid who's playing because his friends tell him he "should play basketball."  He's soft, doesn't like contact (doesn't block out, doesn't use his body in the post, very foul prone, etc), and I just don't think he's a kid who will ever be a solid Big Ten big.  Michael Durr is far better.  I'm sure many will understand what I mean by that.

Is that a backhanded critique of Micheal Durr? Have we offered this kid or are we just in the evaluation period. As always, I'll probably just trust CMW on this one. I'm just an old guy who just enjoys watching and doesn't have enough knowledge to make a judgement.

15 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Is that a backhanded critique of Micheal Durr? Have we offered this kid or are we just in the evaluation period. As always, I'll probably just trust CMW on this one. I'm just an old guy who just enjoys watching and doesn't have enough knowledge to make a judgement.

Yeah IU has offered.  Half the Big 10 has offered, Louisville, Kansas St , Notre dame and LSU are some others that have offered.   I haven’t watched him enough to make a call and he really hasn’t played enough games to make a judgement yet.  Last year he barely played as a sophomore but during the summer kind of blew up and got a ton of offers.  He has all the measurements and his  potential is high which is why all these high major teams offered him 

On 12/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cathedral beaten by Indpls. Tech 80 - 73.  Izzo reportedly at the game to watch Booker who battled foul trouble and did not score.

In this game, Booker played 21 min. going 0-6 on FG; 2 reb; 0 asst; 0 stl; 1 blk; 3 TO.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cathedral beaten by Indpls. Tech 80 - 73.  Izzo reportedly at the game to watch Booker who battled foul trouble and did not score.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In this game, Booker played 21 min. going 0-6 on FG; 2 reb; 0 asst; 0 stl; 1 blk; 3 TO.

So he was in the game long enough to turn it over three times and miss all six shots!

Izzo may be relieved that he went in person to receive the truth loud and clear.

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I am starting to get a Jeremy Hollowell vibe with Booker. Had talent but doesn't have the motor to compete at this level.

7 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Thru 7 games he's averaging 11.7 ppg; 6.3 rpg; 1.9 apg; .7 stl; .7 blk; 2.7 TO in 25 min./game.

Even 1.9 assists is encouraging from a young big, and the TOs are a bit too high (though exceeding assists alone isn’t a huge issue to me at this stage in his development).

I’m a little surprised the defensive activity stats aren’t higher?

Cathedral defeats Homestead (Fletcher Loyer) 62-50 in today's second game in the Raymond James Hall of Fame Classic.  Booker 9  points all in the 1st half on 4-5 FG; 1-1 FG.  He totaled 2 reb and 2 asst for the game.  Cathedral held Loyer to 9-25 from the field.  Cathedral will face Westfield tonight in the championship.

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cathedral defeats Homestead (Fletcher Loyer) 62-50 in today's second game in the Raymond James Hall of Fame Classic.  Booker 9  points all in the 1st half on 4-5 FG; 1-1 FG.  He totaled 2 reb and 2 asst for the game.  Cathedral held Loyer to 9-25 from the field.  Cathedral will face Westfield tonight in the championship.

Two rebounds?!?

yeesh

1 minute ago, Gnet550 said:

Yes. This is definitely one I was more excited about before he started playing the school season….

“He’s exciting until he starts playing!” said no one as a complement ever.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2 boards?  Oof.  Even I could do that and I'm 6'2 and not in basketball shape.

On Hoosiersports nation someone who went to the game this morning is not impressed with him. No motor and lazy and to me he sounds like Jeremy Hollowell. I think I would pass on this recruit