Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

1 minute ago, Magnanimous said:

Did we just lose Beard to Texas?

I don't not what to think of Shaka Smart.  I would have never bet on him not having a single tournament win after six seasons at Texas.

Still would be surprised if Texas were to move on from him.  If so, he's still going to be a pretty hot commodity.

Did we just lose Beard to Texas?
If Texas wants to pay $20+M for hist first year then maybe. That doesn't leave much for their front 7 though

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I don't not what to think of Shaka Smart.  I would have never bet on him not having a single tournament win after six seasons at Texas.

Still would be surprised if Texas were to move on from him.  If so, he's still going to be a pretty hot commodity.

Like Archie and Alford he’s a good mid major coach. Not good enough for prime time. His pressing system was never going to work there, but credit him for abandoning it. That offense is a mess without turnover created transition tho (the case for most pressing coaches).

Lock this thread. He’s going to Texas! 

His buyout is huge if he goes to another big 12 school. That was put in there because the fear of him going to Texas because it's his alma mater. But if he goes outside of the Big 12 is buyouts only about 3 million dollars. So not likely my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Texas isn’t paying that buyout for basketball.

It would take Del Conte about 30 seconds to raise the money if he decides to do it. Literally, the time it takes to send a text and receive a reply. It’s just a question of whether he wants to. He inherited Smart.

Hard to see Shaka going anywhere at this point. He finally tuned a corner this year. Shaka has 2 years left on his contact with a 7.1 million dollar buyout. If Texas really wanted Beard, they would have to pony up nearly 20 million in buyouts just to make the move and that's not counting what they would actually pay Beard. 

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's just interesting to look at the numbers. 

Edited by Ghost of Rick Majerus

Hard to see Shaka going anywhere at this point. He finally tuned a corner this year. Shaka has 2 years left on his contact with a 7.1 million dollar buyout. If Texas really wanted Beard, they would have to pony up nearly 20 million in buyouts just to make the move and that's not counting what they would actually pay Beard. 
Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's just interesting to look at the numbers. 
This. With all monetary factors considered it'd be about $25-30M for Beard's first year at TX. Also if he was so enamored with being TX next coach then why would he have ever agreed to the Anti-TX buyout?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, NashvilleHoosier said:

Am I seeing correctly that his buyout is $15M+? Is the second philanthropic donor in for that?

2.5 million for schools outside of Texas and outside the Big 12. 

5 million for Big 12 and Texas schools. 

https://media.everythinglubbock.com/nxsglobal/everythinglubbock/document_dev/2019/04/29/Chris Beard - 2019_1556568389982_85046221_ver1.0.pdf

In theory, it’s payable for Texas. But I don’t think they will. They’d owe Shaka 7 million and then Beard 5, so it’d cost 12 million just for the right to hire him. Then they’d have to pay him 5.5+ annually to get him to leave a gig where he’ll make close to 5 moving forward anyway.  I don’t see anyone getting him out of Lubbock.