Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I am generally in agreement that I don't want to hire another Archie Miller. But there is one caveat to that. Just think back to watching all the Crean teams. The lack of intensity. The defensive breakdowns. We all WANTED a coach that promised to bring a defensive system where guys worked hard and the passion could be seen on the floor. That is definitely not what we got from Archie. If Moser can bring us what we originally hired Archie to bring us, I do think Indiana fans would be happy with that. 

10 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

You make additional good points, Southside and I agree and personally wouldn’t mind operating in the gray (truthfully all these kids should be getting paid anyway — just my opinion and respect others seeing it differently). 

You mention Knight’s discipline and I think it’s been clear OFF THE COURT DISCIPLINE has been sorely lacking largely since Knight’s departure.

We all have our stories — whether it’s girls or parties, etc. Not saying every player who has come through in the last 20 years is guilty. Far from it. And I don’t blame the players. They are kids wanting to enjoy their college experience. 

Just saying we need a coach who can not only get these guys to play tough D and make open shots, we also need a coach who can keep these “campus rockstars” focused on basketball. 

Not an easy task in Bloomington, IN.

It's not easy anywhere. We just need a change, and hoping this one is a charm

In the late 80s when I was there, a lot of players were partiers. Not all, but you could find most out enjoying college life on the weekends. And they did get in trouble a bit here and there. It just never got out, or was publicized. And it was not really bad stuff. No phone cams back then, and no 24/7/365 beat writers and twitterers running around. I think RMK was tougher on academics and basketball, then silly college stuff like drinking. I'm sure he ran kids legs off, but I also think he was just old school, and was OK with kids having a little fun so long as they were busting their buts in the classroom and on the court. And not being a knucklehead. But yes, kids are kids, and college is a time to have fun.

IMO, I'd prefer the same type of approach by the next coach. Tough on basketball effort, tough on classroom effort. And a little soft on the drinking/fun so long as the kids aren't uber dumb.

1 minute ago, dreachon said:

I am generally in agreement that I don't want to hire another Archie Miller. But there is one caveat to that. Just think back to watching all the Crean teams. The lack of intensity. The defensive breakdowns. We all WANTED a coach that promised to bring a defensive system where guys worked hard and the passion could be seen on the floor. That is definitely not what we got from Archie. If Moser can bring us what we originally hired Archie to bring us, I do think Indiana fans would be happy with that. 

We just wanted consistency with Crean. You don't need a system to be good defensively. Offensive philosophy is more important. Defense is 90% hustle. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I wonder if other teams have room for another fan.. honestly if he is hired... Might just treat it like I do the NBA. Just check scores they next day. 

I won't root for any other teams. I'll just be a casual IU fan. Might catch a game if it's on at a restaurant, but won't make it appointment television again. I was that way for a lot of this season too, but my interest started up again because of the potential for a good coaching hire. I'd be even less excited by Moser than I would've been for a fifth Archie season. 

I've been in it for nearly 50 years, I'll be in it until the end.  I don't want Moser but there are no awards for "I told you so's" if they hire him and it doesn't work out.  If he's the hire (which I don't think he is, that's just a media narrative), I'll root for being wrong.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I've been in it for nearly 50 years, I'll be in it until the end.  I don't want Moser but there are no awards for "I told you so's" if they hire him and it doesn't work out.  If he's the hire (which I don't think he is, that's just a media narrative), I'll root for being wrong.

Get the hell out of here with your reasonable fan takes. This is a world is ending vs IU will go on to win 9 NCAA championships in a row decision. Get with the program.