Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

24 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Interesting tweet from Kopp on the portal... 

A few things from the picture that stand out:

• He had 2 bigs as a question mark for IU, same with team chemistry and the B10
  • He had "good PG" as a positive for IU (lol) 
  • Also listed the "NBA offense" and "values shooting" as positives for IU. 
  • In that first picture, Utah actually ranks more highly on the criteria he was considering but the appeal of the "stage" at IU was too much for him to pass up, keeping in mind that he ultimately was responsible for his own individual success

$$ is a primary motivator in this market, as it should be, I suppose... But I look forward to a more sustainable environment some day.

He also had a reply under that where he said he hated the B1G and wanted to get out lol.

35 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Interesting tweet from Kopp on the portal... 

A few things from the picture that stand out:

• He had 2 bigs as a question mark for IU, same with team chemistry and the B10
  • He had "good PG" as a positive for IU (lol) 
  • Also listed the "NBA offense" and "values shooting" as positives for IU. 
  • In that first picture, Utah actually ranks more highly on the criteria he was considering but the appeal of the "stage" at IU was too much for him to pass up, keeping in mind that he ultimately was responsible for his own individual success

$$ is a primary motivator in this market, as it should be, I suppose... But I look forward to a more sustainable environment some day.

Remember that this was before Woodson had coached a college game. So he was sold the same bill of goods as the fans were, that it would be a 4 out, 1 in offense.

Also, Johnson's stats coming to IU were pretty good. 

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

Remember that this was before Woodson had coached a college game. So he was sold the same bill of goods as the fans were, that it would be a 4 out, 1 in offense.

Also, Johnson's stats coming to IU were pretty good. 

Yup. Just an interesting snapshot of what the conventional wisdom was at the time 

On 4/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, HoosierCoop said:

Meechie Johnson transferring to Ohio St. is interesting.  Does that stir up portal talk from any starting point guards?

I think some thought Bruce Thornton was a possible portal prospect that IU had ties to, but he confirmed he is staying

How about Kaleb Glenn? He was a prospect from Louisville Male that reported a great visit at IU. He opted for the NIL prospects of his hometown school. He is now in the portal and I haven’t heard a thing about him.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:19 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Jalen Deloach, Georgia, in the portal.  Was never clear how much interest IU had in him last time around although Deloach made it seem like he had an offer.  Played at Wichita State prior to transferring to Georgia last year.  Started at Wichita State but was only a rotational player at Georgia, averaging 3.6 pts and 3.3 reb in 13 minutes.  6'9" power forward, strictly inside player.

Off to Loyola Chicago.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Ohio State *should* be good next year. Thornton and Okpala returning and adding Johnson and Bradshaw.

My hot take.....Roddy Gayle > Meechie Johnson.  That one was a step back.  But I like Bradshaw's potential.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

My hot take.....Roddy Gayle > Meechie Johnson.  That one was a step back.  But I like Bradshaw's potential.

Roddy reminds me kinda Troy Williams. All the potential is there, just seems to do one great thing and then 2 dumb things.  

I think Meechie is more consistent player, so I don't think it is a step back.

Edited by Ryno6284
forgot last sentence.

Merrimack guard Jordan Derkack, NEC player of the year, has transferred to Rutgers.  6'5", 17.0 ppg, 6.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2.1 steals.  47/28/72 shooter.

Is there any team next year that is going to look more different than they did last year than Rutgers?

Incoming:  

• Eastern Michigan guard 6'4" Tyson Acuiff.  Averaged 21.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists.  Shot 43/29/81.
  • Merrimack 6'5" guard Derkack.
  • Princeton 6'7" forward Zach Martini.  8.4 pts, 3.3 rebounds.  Shot 45/39/83.  Bulk three point shooter.
  • small forward 6'8" Ace Bailey, #2 player in the class
  • shooting guard 6'6" Dylan Harper, #6 player in the class
  • power forward 6'9"  PF Lathan Sommerville, #103 in the class
  • small forward 6'8" Bryce Dorstch, #148 in the class
  • power foward 6''7" Dylan Grant #177 in the class

outgoing:

• 6'11' Center Cliff Omuryi, 10.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.9 blocks/game
  • 6'7" forward Mawot Mag, 9.1 ppgs, 3.8 rpg
  • 6'3" shooting (challenged) guard Derek Simpson.  8.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.9 apg
  • 6'8" G/F Gavin Griffiths.  5.8 ppg, 2.2 rpg
  • 6'9" forward Antwon Woolfolk.  3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg
  • 6'9" forward Antonio Choi.  Only managed to play 56 minutes in two seasons
  • 6'6 forward Aundrae Hyatt (graduated).  10.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg.
  • 5'11" guard Noah Fernandez (graduated).  6.4 ppg.
  • 6'4" guard Austin Williams (graduated).  4 ppg, 2.7 rpg.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Merrimack guard Jordan Derkack, NEC player of the year, has transferred to Rutgers.  6'5", 17.0 ppg, 6.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2.1 steals.  47/28/72 shooter.

Is there any team next year that is going to look more different than they did last year than Rutgers?

Incoming:  

• Eastern Michigan guard 6'4" Tyson Acuiff.  Averaged 21.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists.  Shot 43/29/81.
  • Merrimack 6'5" guard Derkack.
  • Princeton 6'7" forward Zach Martini.  8.4 pts, 3.3 rebounds.  Shot 45/39/83.  Bulk three point shooter.
  • small forward 6'8" Ace Bailey, #2 player in the class
  • shooting guard 6'6" Dylan Harper, #6 player in the class
  • power forward 6'9"  PF Lathan Sommerville, #103 in the class
  • small forward 6'8" Bryce Dorstch, #148 in the class
  • power foward 6''7" Dylan Grant #177 in the class

outgoing:

• 6'11' Center Cliff Omuryi, 10.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.9 blocks/game
  • 6'7" forward Mawot Mag, 9.1 ppgs, 3.8 rpg
  • 6'3" shooting (challenged) guard Derek Simpson.  8.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.9 apg
  • 6'8" G/F Gavin Griffiths.  5.8 ppg, 2.2 rpg
  • 6'9" forward Antwon Woolfolk.  3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg
  • 6'9" forward Antonio Choi.  Only managed to play 56 minutes in two seasons
  • 6'6 forward Aundrae Hyatt (graduated).  10.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg.
  • 5'11" guard Noah Fernandez (graduated).  6.4 ppg.
  • 6'4" guard Austin Williams (graduated).  4 ppg, 2.7 rpg.

Maybe UK?  Pope might have an upper classmen heavy team for the first time in Lexington in nearly 2 decades.

6'10" stretch 4/5 Carey Booth transfers from Notre Dame to Illinois  Ranked 55 in class of 2023.  Freshman year at Notre Dame averaged 6.4 pts and 4.3 rebounds.  Originally committed to Penn State but followed Shrewsberry to Notre Dame.

6'6" J'Vonne Hadley transfers to Louisville.  Good pick up for them.  Was very efficient at Colorado.  11.6 pts, 6 reb, 2.4 ast.  Shot 54/42/84.

....and Brandon Newman in the portal once more  Three years at Purdue, last year at Western Kentucky.  10.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg.  Shot 41/33/73.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

6'10" stretch 4/5 Carey Booth transfers from Notre Dame to Illinois  Ranked 55 in class of 2023.  Freshman year at Notre Dame averaged 6.4 pts and 4.3 rebounds.  Originally committed to Penn State but followed Shrewsberry to Notre Dame.

Is he related to Calvin that played for Penn ST.?

Haven't gone thru all the players in this thread.  But what is the general take?  Is the portal class this year stronger, weaker, or not much different than last year?  

24 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Haven't gone thru all the players in this thread.  But what is the general take?  Is the portal class this year stronger, weaker, or not much different than last year?  

13 former McDonald’s all Americans have entered the portal.