Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

6 hours ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

I so desperately wanted Archie to be the guy. A young Knight with a chip and a head for the game. His all-business demeanor seemed kind of like a good IU-personality fit at first, which we needed after having a human meme for a coach. If he was grumpy and a great coach, I’d be happy. Instead we get a style of play I equate with a trip to the DMV and nothing to show for the last 4 years except wasted Mr. Basketballs and missed tournaments.  

‘a human meme for a coach!’ Hahah 

10 hours ago, Crazy about IU said:

I am on the fence about Archie. The most important part of a good team is point guard. The coach on the floor. What I don’t get is what happened to Phinisee is it Archies fault. The first two years he was ok but I thought he could be really good if not for the injuries. Now he is completely lost. IU would probably have several more wins and be rated in the top 25 with decent point guard play this year. Lander not ready and Phinisee lost has really hurt this team. Archie has gave Phinisee plenty of chances to get it worked out.Plus had played lander more they were a combined 0-10 last night. What would you do as coach? Is this Archies fault? 

You're not wrong. The lack of development from RP has been very disappointing and frankly a factor as to why Archie will be relieved of duties. 

No one expected Rob to be this bad. I mean he was coming to games his senior year sitting behind the bench listening to what Archie was preaching and what not. The injuries, the rumors of his girlfriend scandal on the team, and confidence just really put an end to any growth at all it appears. I fully agree we're a much better team if Rob played like a Big Ten PG.  

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Tony Adragna has an interesting video clip regarding Hunter late game. More evidence of the divide between Archie and his players imo.

I don’t really care if they like one another or not, but at some point you have to win and prove your worth. It’s not the players fault, and even if it is, it’s still Archies fault. Always is. He recruits them, feeds them, teaches them, builds them, plays them, subs them. He has full control. He isn’t doing something right. Much of it is recruiting, As I always say. But other intangibles can overcome. Archie isn’t demonstrating any of it. And on top of it, it appears his players don’t like/respect him. Fun times.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It's possible to have bad apples within the program. I mean.. how many bad apples did CTC have throughout the program? A LOT. 

Hunter seems to be the odd man out. The recent suspension gives us an indicator that he's not an angel. The antics during the end of the game the other night is typical basketball,  but obviously behind closed doors. 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

It's possible to have bad apples within the program. I mean.. how many bad apples did CTC have throughout the program? A LOT. 

Hunter seems to be the odd man out. The recent suspension gives us an indicator that he's not an angel. The antics during the end of the game the other night is typical basketball,  but obviously behind closed doors. 

Only problem is how often we heard about those bad apples having already left the program last year. Hunter was having a decent stretch and in my eyes was one of the few defensive bright spots Wednesday. Saturday should be quite interesting. Can we get the Kentucky Covid strain that was going around a few weeks ago and not play this weekend?

5 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Only problem is how often we heard about those bad apples having already left the program last year. Hunter was having a decent stretch and in my eyes was one of the few defensive bright spots Wednesday. Saturday should be quite interesting. Can we get the Kentucky Covid strain that was going around a few weeks ago and not play this weekend?

It's in Assembly Hall tomorrow right? Oh boy.. I guess the good thing is it's going to be warm and sunny in Bloomington. Aint no reason to get our hopes up to win. Plus it's a 12PM game by the looks of it. Plenty of time to enjoy our day!

11 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I’ve been so hard on Archie lately. But what if, Dakich is hitting the nail on the head with his radio show from today? I will admit, the first 15-20 minutes I was like yeah whatever. But after listening to the entire show, I started to wonder. Does he have a point? Is it right?

Yes, I know Archie has got to hit the right buttons with this team. This team is soft. Their not mentally tough. Is it leadership? I’ll be glad when some of these kids are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He's 100% correct about that game. I can't stand Dan but he was spot on. I thought he was going to cry because he was reminded so much of when he was captain. But there is no leadership. Who is leading out there? TJD nope too busy flexing, Al no way anyone is following him, Rob nope he is in his own mental breakdown, no one to lead. They are so soft.

10 hours ago, 8bucks said:

What did DD say

He said that there is no player leadership on this team because all of the players are into themselves. Leal's mom tweeting play him more, TJD stepdad talking about how great TJD is. He said he knows this first hand because of the 85 team he was captain of. He was the leader he needed to be and for that reason that team was soft. He said they would start every game well, then the other team would catch up, then when they took the lead Indiana would quit. He said he regrets it every day not getting into people's faces and leading them to practice or workouts. You should listen, he said it was like a therapy session. I usually only listen for the first 30 minutes but I kept it on for the whole 3 hours. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He said that there is no player leadership on this team because all of the players are into themselves. Leal's mom tweeting play him more, TJD stepdad talking about how great TJD is. He said he knows this first hand because of the 85 team he was captain of. He was the leader he needed to be and for that reason that team was soft. He said they would start every game well, then the other team would catch up, then when they took the lead Indiana would quit. He said he regrets it every day not getting into people's faces and leading them to practice or workouts. You should listen, he said it was like a therapy session. I usually only listen for the first 30 minutes but I kept it on for the whole 3 hours. 

Yup. I listened to it last night. It was really interesting. The 1984-85 IU team that he's referring to had Dakich as captain, and also had Alford, Blab, Darryl Thomas, Giomi...lots of talent, but finished 19-14, 7-11 in the B1G.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Twitter just amplifies the voices. Wasn't around in 85 so can't say one way or the other, but I'd like to think there were upset parents wishing for more playing time, but the fortunately or unfortunately, didn't have that megaphone and platform.

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Twitter just amplifies the voices. Wasn't around in 85 so can't say one way or the other, but I'd like to think there were upset parents then wishing for more playing time, but the fortunately or unfortunately, didn't have that megaphone and platform.

I was around then, saw every home game at 9 years old. Parents of players wouldn't say something like that because if it got back to Knight the player and the parent would have been in big trouble. The player wouldn't have played for a couple of games or would have had his scholarship pulled at the end of the season. As parents, you can't say those things because you are not at practice every day. You don't know how well your kid is playing, practicing compared to everyone else. The coach is going to play who he thinks gives him the best chance to win, his job is on the line too. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup. I listened to it last night. It was really interesting. The 1984-85 IU team that he's referring to had Dakich as captain, and also had Alford, Blab, Darryl Thomas, Giomi...lots of talent, but finished 19-14, 7-11 in the B1G.

There was talent but dang they were soft. Any adversity at all and they crumbled 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

There was talent but dang they were soft. Any adversity at all and they crumbled 

Hmmm...and what happened to that team after that year? Four of their top six in minutes played were gone; Uwe and Dakich graduated, and Simmons and Giomi were separated from the program. The team that followed had less talent (but still plenty) by only adding a very good Ricky Calloway. That subsequent team was 13-5 in the B1G... FAR better results.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I would think it is so very obvious, but families of players need to yell at their television screens and vent in their house, not on social media.

Yelling and venting privately is only natural; venting on social media is always unwise.

My television has taken so much verbal abuse this year it's not even funny!!!

14 hours ago, Feathery said:

Yeah. Not winning should always be a cause to fire. Lol

If this strategy doesn't work, can we find any other reason to fire with cause?  Does he roll stop signs?  Does he always stop at pedestrians in crosswalks?  Does he speed?  I can find a lawyer to deem him a menace to society.

Or can Hunter take one for the team?  Get real close and claim he was choked?

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I would think it is so very obvious, but families of players need to yell at their television screens and vent in their house, not on social media.

Yelling and venting privately is only natural; venting on social media is always unwise.

I disagree!  I always enjoyed it when players' parents vented on here lol

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was around then, saw every home game at 9 years old. Parents of players wouldn't say something like that because if it got back to Knight the player and the parent would have been in big trouble. The player wouldn't have played for a couple of games or would have had his scholarship pulled at the end of the season. As parents, you can't say those things because you are not at practice every day. You don't know how well your kid is playing, practicing compared to everyone else. The coach is going to play who he thinks gives him the best chance to win, his job is on the line too. 

Definitely agree with that, but I don't think Coach Knight would handle, or be able to handle, the age of APR and social media that way.

All I know is I would do anything to still have Coach Clapppy burning the lacquer off the hardwood on the sidelines while we are in the round of 32 coming off a 25 win season. 

The Archie Era has been a humbling view of success in today's game.