Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

OT. I took a young friend fishing tonight, a 22 yr old Dominican friend. He caught two keeper Mango Snappers and went home happier than a pig in slop! He was so proud ! My cast netting ablilities have gone down hill I got to get a smaller net or that young buck has to get it down pat. Lol hell, I’m 62 yrs old now. Grrr.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2020/07/rutgers-faces-50m-hole-lost-football-season-would-crush-big-ten-schools-including-ohio-state-michigan-penn-state.html

Story focusing on the financial impact specifically to Rutgers if there is no football season but also discusses impact on the rest of the B1G schools as well.    Includes this graphic.

Ohio State $104.3 million loss

Michigan $98.2 million loss

Penn State $91.3 million loss

Nebraska $85.3 million loss

Wisconsin $81.6 million loss

Iowa $74.1 million loss

Michigan State $71.0 million loss

Minnesota $60.9 million loss

Purdue $60.1 million loss

Indiana $59.5 million loss

Maryland $58.9 million loss

Illinois $58.6 million loss

Rutgers $48.8 million loss

Chart: Keith Sargeant & Nick Devlin | NJ Advance Media Source: NCAA Fiscal Reports, 2019 Get the data Created with Datawrapper

Interesting article on which basketball/football coaches have taken pay cuts at power 5 schools, and which haven't (yet).  For the record, it appears both Archie Miller and Tom Allen have taken a pay cut, and I commend them for it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29468590/some-not-all-coaches-share-colleges-burden-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

38 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Interesting article on which basketball/football coaches have taken pay cuts at power 5 schools, and which haven't (yet).  For the record, it appears both Archie Miller and Tom Allen have taken a pay cut, and I commend them for it.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29468590/some-not-all-coaches-share-colleges-burden-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

The lowest-paid coach in the conference taking a pay cut after the program's best season in 25 years. Don't see that too often. 

Archie Miller deserves a pay cut the way his first 3 seasons have gone. 

What I don't understand is why start workouts if a few positive tests are going to stop it? I don't have a good answer here or know what the right answer is, but if six positive tests is going to stop workouts no reason to start them. 

Either you have to accept there are going to be a decent amount of positives and isolate those who get it or don't do sports this fall (and by extension in person classes). Don't start up and then stop it with six positives as that looks extremely naive.

Which way to go I don't know, but schools need to decide how many positive tests they are OK with and if its no more than six, don't bother starting as you are going to have many more than that. 

49 minutes ago, Aaron said:

What I don't understand is why start workouts if a few positive tests are going to stop it? I don't have a good answer here or know what the right answer is, but if six positive tests is going to stop workouts no reason to start them. 

Either you have to accept there are going to be a decent amount of positives and isolate those who get it or don't do sports this fall (and by extension in person classes). Don't start up and then stop it with six positives as that looks extremely naive.

Which way to go I don't know, but schools need to decide how many positive tests they are OK with and if its no more than six, don't bother starting as you are going to have many more than that. 

Imagine there was no fixed number because if they had 6 positive tests but the country was still on a good trend they would have continued and hope to only have a few more. But with 6 tests and things getting worse that 6 could turn into 30 pretty quick. 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Imagine there was no fixed number because if they had 6 positive tests but the country was still on a good trend they would have continued and hope to only have a few more. But with 6 tests and things getting worse that 6 could turn into 30 pretty quick. 

I'm not disagreeing, but then don't start in first place as a few positive test on every team is inevitable.

No reason to start if single digit positive tests will shut it all down as literally every school is going to have them and its a waste of everyone's time to even attempt then. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I'm not disagreeing, but then don't start in first place as a few positive test on every team is inevitable.

No reason to start if single digit positive tests will shut it all down as literally every school is going to have them and its a waste of everyone's time to even attempt then. 

What I am saying is that if we had some positive tests but things were generally getting better they probably wouldn’t have shut it down.  But with things getting worse and positive tests there’s really no choice. 

People not wearing masks is going to cost us sports till 2021.  Ugh

On 7/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, LIHoosier said:

They only get to play BYU and the Army.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lets rank them #1. They went undefeated. 

- National media

On 7/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, Golfman25 said:

How does this 20% capacity limitation differ from normal U of I games.  :) 

Almost exactly what I proposed back in May except that coolers are allowed inside and tailgating is allowed every third spot.

A form of in-state civil war brewing in California.  This morning the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) announced it was moving the fall, winter and spring sports calendars back to two seasons — fall and spring — to begin in early 2021.

Moments after the CIF announcement, the Northern Section released its own plan to play fall sports, including football, as close to the regular calendar as possible.  Northern Commissioner Kyle said the northern section is the largest in terms of geographic size, has perhaps the most two- or three-sport athletes, as well as two-sport coaches given the number of small schools. There are 73 schools in the section, which stretches from the Oregon border to Sutter County and from the Nevada state line to Trinity County.

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A form of in-state civil war brewing in California.  This morning the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) announced it was moving the fall, winter and spring sports calendars back to two seasons — fall and spring — to begin in early 2021.

Moments after the CIF announcement, the Northern Section released its own plan to play fall sports, including football, as close to the regular calendar as possible.  Northern Commissioner Kyle said the northern section is the largest in terms of geographic size, has perhaps the most two- or three-sport athletes, as well as two-sport coaches given the number of small schools. There are 73 schools in the section, which stretches from the Oregon border to Sutter County and from the Nevada state line to Trinity County.

Interesting.  I read up on it and it seems like California plays a very late fall season -- fall competition is set to start October 16th, which means that fall sports would have to start practice by October 1st.  Could likely be a move by the Northern part to keep the seasons separate IF the covid numbers are okay in the North.  Sounds like the North is comprised of mostly small schools.

https://www.chicoer.com/2020/07/20/cif-postpones-fall-sports-due-to-coronavirus-northern-section-moves-ahead-with-different-timeline/