Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Your Starters and Lineups

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd be starting Phinisee at the point.  We also don't have the roster to put in 2 or 3 subs at one time.

47 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Feels to me like Durham should be the primary backup at both guard positions; maybe even at the three.

There was a version of DeRon Davis last February in which he was diving for loose balls, fouling hard, and squawking loud. We need that version mucho pronto.

Yeah I think at this point I’d like him off the bench but we have so little shooting I think we need to start Rob, Al and Green. With Franklin coming in whenever one of them needs a break. 

Justn, TJD and Brunk need to be our front court. Not sure anybody else has earned PT

Shorten rotation a bunch.

Give Brunk, TJD as many minutes as they can handle.

After that though, no one really stands out to deserve them.

Some may say Smith but he’s so limited on offense he doesn’t add much unless we are in transition.

Sad thing is I’ll take a very flawed Smith over the next guys.

Durham would get minutes but he is overrated by our BTB fanbase. Same for Phin.

Green can score but messes things up just as much or more.

Bad roster ultimately.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Shorten rotation a bunch.

Give Brunk, TJD as many minutes as they can handle.

After that though, no one really stands out to deserve them.

Some may say Smith but he’s so limited on offense he doesn’t add much unless we are in transition.

Sad thing is I’ll take a very flawed Smith over the next guys.

Durham would get minutes but he is overrated by our BTB fanbase. Same for Phin.

Green can score but messes things up just as much or more.

Bad roster ultimately.

Durham peaked last season. He’s just not good enough to be a starter at IU if we want to be good. So many thought he’d make a huge jump but he’s stayed the same. Though his decision making is probably worse. I think starting and playing Phinisee could help his confidence, but man, that boy HAS to more aggressive shooting the ball. He has a good mid range game and doesn’t use it. Has no killer instinct on offense and we need it. For whatever reason he just dribbles around and doesn’t shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Durham peaked last season. He’s just not good enough to be a starter at IU if we want to be good. So many thought he’d make a huge jump but he’s stayed the same. Though his decision making is probably worse. I think starting and playing Phinisee could help his confidence, but man, that boy HAS to more aggressive shooting the ball. He has a good mid range game and doesn’t use it. Has no killer instinct on offense and we need it. For whatever reason he just dribbles around and doesn’t shoot.

Agreed on all counts. Durham is easy to root for. He’s a solid player. Still not a great shooter but slightly better. Uses his length on D pretty well. Doesn’t really create plays for others. Ideally not a starter, but I trust him over most of the others.

My starters

Phinisee

Green

Franklin

Smith

TJD

Brunk off the bench along with Durham. The middle gets to clogged for me with Smith, TJD and Brunk in at the same time. As I agree with Dakich that Smith is fine as long as he's playing around the basket. 

My starters
Phinisee
Green
Franklin
Smith
TJD
Brunk off the bench along with Durham. The middle gets to clogged for me with Smith, TJD and Brunk in at the same time. As I agree with Dakich that Smith is fine as long as he's playing around the basket. 

I think what makes it worse for me when it comes to Green and Durham is that both have tested the NBA waters to see what they need to get better at... and it didn’t help them any. Tells me they have absolutely peaked and this is just who they are. Smith seems to be the only one to have improved, even if that’s just mentally. I want Durham to return, but he doesn’t need to be a starter anymore, even next season. Honestly would be fine with Leal if his shooting is better or Franklin if his shooting improves.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think Anderson has improved in some areas, not shooting, but not good enough for many minutes.

I think Anderson has improved in some areas, not shooting, but not good enough for many minutes.

I really wouldn’t care if we started Anderson. PG- Rob
SG- Franklin
SF- Anderson
PF- Smith
C- TJD

Would it make us better? Probably not. But at this point we need to shake things up.

For me, I think Coach Miller needs to send a message to his players. While CAM needs his own coaching improvements, this team needs a major shakeup.

Brunk
TJD
Anderson
Franklin
Phinisee

I think a message must be sent to our upperclassmen to shape up or move over. I didn’t watch the Maryland game, but play the younger guys (minus Brunk) to see if that helps spark Al, Green, and Smith. Plus, I like Green coming off the bench. Get a feel for the game and go attack.

Just difficult because we are seeing a struggling team with players not playing to their roles or abilities.

My lineup is very similar to the one above, at least for the next few games...

Brunk

TJD

Smith

Anderson

Phinisee

I agree a message needs to be sent, and would like to see if Anderson can get more confidence in his shot with more minutes. His defense is highly improved, if only he could make those shots. 

I truly wonder about injuries to phinisee and hunter that have forced archies hand so to speak. Maybe that is the reason he has been using a platoonish lineup. Maybe those problems with those two players are worse than we think

Granted the lineup above isnt ideal by replacing a Franklin with Anderson and Anderson could get smoked by shooting guards, but after watching the Maryland game I dont see how this lineup could do any worse than that while sending the message. 

As far as the guards go, they havent done really well at all, but if Franklin could fix the rotation on his shot, he could definitely raise his percentages and could end up being really special. 

36 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I really wouldn’t care if we started Anderson. PG- Rob
SG- Franklin
SF- Anderson
PF- Smith
C- TJD

Would it make us better? Probably not. But at this point we need to shake things up.

I could see at least trying a 3 guard lineup, but I'd have Jackson-Davis and Brunk starting with Smith off the bench.  Maybe dial up the pressure on defense too to try and create transition opportunities.  

Status quo is definitely not working.

I could see at least trying a 3 guard lineup, but I'd have Jackson-Davis and Brunk starting with Smith off the bench.  Maybe dial up the pressure on defense too to try and create transition opportunities.  
Status quo is definitely not working.

One of my big issues with Archie’s defense is that they don’t play the passing lanes. They just wait to get hit in the mouth.

PG - Rob (with a short leash); SG - Devonte (with a shorter leash); SF - Franklin; PF - TJD; C - Race

Al, Smith and to some extent Brunk need to be held accountable for the way they’ve been playing recently. I don’t love the lineup proposed above but only because I ran out of bench spots. Armaan hasn’t exactly earned a starting role but Smith and Al’s defense has been unacceptable and they haven’t made up for it in any other measurable way. We need guys on offense who will set solid screens and move without the ball. We need guards who can feed the post. We need so many things....good luck Arch 

I like the idea of taking one of the starting bigs and bringing him off the bench. I’m not sure if that should be Smith or Brunk though. I like that Brunk seems to respond to being challenged but I don’t see Brunk and TJD working well. Smith moving back to the 4 would help.

Frontcourt I’d start

TJD and Smith with Brunk first big off the bench (most games)

Against bigger teams I think I’d go TJD and Brunk with Smith coming off the bench

We really need to get something from the wing. I’d try Anderson there as I don’t think he hurts on defense and has the potential to get his shot going.

That leaves us with the backcourt. I think we need Phin starting and playing a ton of minutes. He’s the only true point on this team and we need to get him going. I’d start Durham at the two for the fact that Green would be better coming off the bench after seeing the flow of the game.

My starters
pg - Phin
Sg - Durham
W - Anderson
W - Smith
Big - Jackson-Davis

Brunk is first big off the bench and Green is first guard. Franklin gets a little run. Thompson only gets run when Phin, Green, and Jackson-Davis are also on the court.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

10 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Who is playing out of position?

Smith. He’s 1,000% not a wing, at least not on this team. Maybe he could be on a team that has some dynamic guards that can make plays and score, as well as a true stretch 4, but that’s not this team. 

On this team, playing Smith on the wing means 3 guys in the lineup that can’t shoot or dribble drive. It means 3 guys in the lineup that the defense doesn’t even have to leave the paint to defend. 

On this team, he’s a 4. As far as the halfcourt, he does his best work near the basket, but that’s hard to do with TJD and Brunk both there. 

Edit: just to be clear, I love Smith’s effort this year, his mentality amd his leadership. 

Smith. He’s 1,000% not a wing, at least not on this team. Maybe he could be on a team that has some dynamic guards that can make plays and score, as well as a true stretch 4, but that’s not this team. 
On this team, playing Smith on the wing means 3 guys in the lineup that can’t shoot or dribble drive. It means 3 guys in the lineup that the defense doesn’t even have to leave the paint to defend. 
On this team, he’s a 4. As far as the halfcourt, he does his best work near the basket, but that’s hard to do with TJD and Brunk both there. 
Edit: just to be clear, I love Smith’s effort this year, his mentality amd his leadership. 

He’s a wing whether he’s a 3 or a 4. Either way he’s not out of position.

I’d go with Phin, Anderson or Franklin, Smith, Race, TJD. I wouldn’t play Brunk no where near the time CAM is giving him but that’s just me. Guess that’s why CAM is making the big bucks huh?

Note, I feel so bad for De’Ron. Idk if he can even jump over a pc of paper, literally. And it looks like he has concrete blocks on his feet the way he moves around. Such a shame, hate it for the young man.