Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

RE: Vonleh and TJD Discussion
This is where I don't understand some peoples perception of what we should be or shouldn't be recruiting.
Most everyone is saying TJD will be here multiple years and is not a OAD candidate but if TJD produces like many of you suggest or hope that he produces, I don't see him being here past 1 year. 
BUT, If he doesn't produce the way people are expecting or the way this team needs, then he will be labeled as a bust or a disappointment.

This goes into my question a few months back, is our perceptions or expectations of recruiting flawed from the start.
How can we conceivably suggest that we ONLY recruit 4 and 5 * players who theoretically are your 10, 11, 12, 13 players (if you have been doing this for multiple years, if there were no transfers, no early leaves) as freshmen. We don't expect players 10, 11, 12, 13 to be major impacts in general.   However, if those 4* & 5* players don't make an impact in their 1st year, they are labeled as busts or transfer candidates.  Not to mention how the player feels about the situation and become transfers.  However, if we recruit lower rated players that may fit better or take more time to develop but better chance at staying with the program, the fan base complains that coach can't recruit.  
Also, if our top players are leaving early due to Transfers or Professional Careers, then how do we ever become an experienced group with players who are upperclassmen.  
There seems to be a major no win situation for high star recruits and coaches recruiting to our fan base.
It is extremely difficult to have it both ways unless you have a history of being a GREAT coach and winning at a high level (AKA DUKE) or are doing something illegal (or both).

Great post. IMO, there are 2 different camps on recruiting. The ones that only want 4 or 5 stars and anything less is terrible or the coach is reaching. The other is the one that wants multi year guys(including 3 stars) with a 5 star sprinkled in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

RE: Vonleh and TJD Discussion

This is where I don't understand some peoples perception of what we should be or shouldn't be recruiting.

Most everyone is saying TJD will be here multiple years and is not a OAD candidate but if TJD produces like many of you suggest or hope that he produces, I don't see him being here past 1 year. 

BUT, If he doesn't produce the way people are expecting or the way this team needs, then he will be labeled as a bust or a disappointment.

This goes into my question a few months back, is our perceptions or expectations of recruiting flawed from the start.

How can we conceivably suggest that we ONLY recruit 4 and 5 * players who theoretically are your 10, 11, 12, 13 players (if you have been doing this for multiple years, if there were no transfers, no early leaves) as freshmen. We don't expect players 10, 11, 12, 13 to be major impacts in general.   However, if those 4* & 5* players don't make an impact in their 1st year, they are labeled as busts or transfer candidates.  Not to mention how the player feels about the situation and become transfers.  However, if we recruit lower rated players that may fit better or take more time to develop but better chance at staying with the program, the fan base complains that coach can't recruit.  

Also, if our top players are leaving early due to Transfers or Professional Careers, then how do we ever become an experienced group with players who are upperclassmen.  

There seems to be a major no win situation for high star recruits and coaches recruiting to our fan base.

It is extremely difficult to have it both ways unless you have a history of being a GREAT coach and winning at a high level (AKA DUKE) or are doing something illegal (or both).

THIS!!

Kansas minus the cheating. Villanova lately. What Duke used to be 5-10 years ago.

There are a bunch of other examples out there that get 4 stars that don’t try to jump immediately to the NBA.

5 stars though are usually 1 year guys or some 2 year guys. Anything more than that is generally considered a bust for 5 stars.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm not sure where to put this but it was interesting to hear about John Laskowski.  I, like many on here I'm sure, grew up listening to "Las".  Is there a podcast thread somewhere I don't know about?  Mods feel free to move if so.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/261-the-peegs-podcast-27549580/episode/hoosier-hysterics-john-laskowski-45681323/

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not being snarky when I say that I’m kind of shocked that Anderson had 8 assists for the year. Seem to remember a nice interior feed against Arkansas. Otherwise, nothing.

Anderson is 6-7? How tall is Hunter now, 6-9 or 6-10?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

After all the B$Ming from Justin Smith and his father I’m a little shocked they didn’t make a move. I’m sure the sit a year thing weighs in. I bet he’s set to graduate this year and will grad transfer if this year isn’t what he hopes.

To me he was our biggest disappointment by a landslide. Romeo didn’t have the season we hoped but he was serviceable. I think Romeo hurt chemistry a bit just by being Romeo and the attention he attracted.

But Smith save for 2 or 3 games was a really bad player. Bad shooting from all 3 levels but the free throw adventures told me the most. I don’t know what is going on with him. He’s smart, yet he made awful decisions regularly.

I’m rooting for him because IF he figures it out he would be fun player to watch but I have no idea how Archie fixes it. Decision making, instincts, shot making on all levels, and heck even defensive ability which should be his real calling card.

Wishing and praying.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

After all the B$Ming from Justin Smith and his father I’m a little shocked they didn’t make a move. I’m sure the sit a year thing weighs in. I bet he’s set to graduate this year and will grad transfer if this year isn’t what he hopes.

To me he was our biggest disappointment by a landslide. Romeo didn’t have the season we hoped but he was serviceable. I think Romeo hurt chemistry a bit just by being Romeo and the attention he attracted.

But Smith save for 2 or 3 games was a really bad player. Bad shooting from all 3 levels but the free throw adventures told me the most. I don’t know what is going on with him. He’s smart, yet he made awful decisions regularly.

I’m rooting for him because IF he figures it out he would be fun player to watch but I have no idea how Archie fixes it. Decision making, instincts, shot making on all levels, and heck even defensive ability which should be his real calling card.

Wishing and praying.

I'm with you here. Really stunned to see him back, at this point we just hope he figures it all out, starting with better overall effort.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wishing and praying.

I think you are exactly right. Sitting a year wasn't in their plans. Give IU one more year and if it doesn't work move on. Hope it works out. 

Indiana all-stars took an early lead and never looked back beating Kentucky 97-64

D8gXK1hXoAAKaYZ.jpg&key=092331ed9edf83a877f316dc0a415651eee1e5c7116ec3f90ff646bf766a9ae8

Appreciate you posting the box score. However, it’s blurry and hard to make out what it says in spots. Noticed Allen that has committed to UK didn’t start, nor score did he score

Appreciate you posting the box score. However, it’s blurry and hard to make out what it says in spots. Noticed Allen that has committed to UK didn’t start, nor score did he score

Also just noticed that Allen was a DNP after that post. Ooops lol..stayed up too late last night