Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Isaiah Stewart to Washington

ADAM ZAGORIA

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Who's Who of high-major Division 1 programs came out to watch Isaiah Stewart and the Albany City Rocks on Friday night at the Nike EYBL stop here.

Michigan State's Tom Izzo sat in the front row of the bleachers on one baseline, with Texas' Shaka Smart, fresh off landing point guard Courtney Ramey earlier in the day, sat nearby. Indiana head man Archie Miller and Tennessee's Rick Barnes were also in attendance. And Duke and Syracuse each had two assistants watching the game, in which Stewart and the City Rocks fell to Woodz Elite, 80-73, despite Stewart's 21 points and 11 rebounds.

"Everybody's watching Isaiah Stewart," one high-major assistant coach said of the 6-foot-9 big man from La Lumiere (IN) and Rochester, N.Y.

After the game, Stewart said he still has a number of college suitors but intends to cut his list "soon and really move forward with those schools."  "I definitely want to cut my list down to seven or six," he said. "I've been keeping tabs on that. Some days it goes down to five, some days it goes back up to seven."

One source close to Stewart said Michigan State, Duke and Syracuse figure to make the list with a few others.   Kansas, Villanova, Louisville, Georgetown, Texas, Maryland, Notre Dame, Marquette, Tennessee, Iowa, George Washington, Florida State, and Ohio State are also in pursuit.

Kentucky has also visited him, but he said "I haven't done much with them since."

"There are some schools that I know I'm going to visit for sure, but I'm not going to release that until I release my list," he said.  He added: "You get five visits, so I'm thinking, 'Why not take all five?' You have five free You don't want to just take one visit and then the next school that might visit could be better than the others."

On Indiana, Stewart is playing high school ball in the state and also stays in touch with former Hoosiers big man Thomas Bryant.  "He's helping me out with my recruitment," he said. "If I have any questions, I shoot him a text. If things are getting frustrating, he's always a guy I can count on."

Michigan State's Izzo stayed until the bitter end to watch Stewart, as he has done all April.  "They're really making me a priority and coach Izzo has been at every game since the circuit started," he said.

As for Louisville, Stewart said coach Chris Mack's staff was "recruiting me hard at Xavier and it pretty much hasn't changed. They're recruiting me on a bigger stage."

Villanova watched him last weekend in Dallas.  "I'm starting to build a good relationship with [them]," he said.

Duke and Syracuse are also heavily involved. Duke had Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith on hand, while Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara of Syracuse were there. Both schools are also recruiting City Rocks guard Joe Girard.

"Some schools pitch the one-and-done to me but it's not something I'm really worried about," Stewart said. "I'm worried about coming into college, getting better and trying to win some games, hopefully a championship."

ADAM ZAGORIA
INDIANAPOLIS -- A Who's Who of high-major Division 1 programs came out to watch Isaiah Stewart and the Albany City Rocks on Friday night at the Nike EYBL stop here.
Michigan State's Tom Izzo sat in the front row of the bleachers on one baseline, with Texas' Shaka Smart, fresh off landing point guard Courtney Ramey earlier in the day, sat nearby. Indiana head man Archie Miller and Tennessee's Rick Barnes were also in attendance. And Duke and Syracuse each had two assistants watching the game, in which Stewart and the City Rocks fell to Woodz Elite, 80-73, despite Stewart's 21 points and 11 rebounds.
"Everybody's watching Isaiah Stewart," one high-major assistant coach said of the 6-foot-9 big man from La Lumiere (IN) and Rochester, N.Y.
After the game, Stewart said he still has a number of college suitors but intends to cut his list "soon and really move forward with those schools."  "I definitely want to cut my list down to seven or six," he said. "I've been keeping tabs on that. Some days it goes down to five, some days it goes back up to seven."
One source close to Stewart said Michigan State, Duke and Syracuse figure to make the list with a few others.   Kansas, Villanova, Louisville, Georgetown, Texas, Maryland, Notre Dame, Marquette, Tennessee, Iowa, George Washington, Florida State, and Ohio State are also in pursuit.
Kentucky has also visited him, but he said "I haven't done much with them since."
"There are some schools that I know I'm going to visit for sure, but I'm not going to release that until I release my list," he said.  He added: "You get five visits, so I'm thinking, 'Why not take all five?' You have five free You don't want to just take one visit and then the next school that might visit could be better than the others."
On Indiana, Stewart is playing high school ball in the state and also stays in touch with former Hoosiers big man Thomas Bryant.  "He's helping me out with my recruitment," he said. "If I have any questions, I shoot him a text. If things are getting frustrating, he's always a guy I can count on."
Michigan State's Izzo stayed until the bitter end to watch Stewart, as he has done all April.  "They're really making me a priority and coach Izzo has been at every game since the circuit started," he said.
As for Louisville, Stewart said coach Chris Mack's staff was "recruiting me hard at Xavier and it pretty much hasn't changed. They're recruiting me on a bigger stage."
Villanova watched him last weekend in Dallas.  "I'm starting to build a good relationship with [them]," he said.
Duke and Syracuse are also heavily involved. Duke had Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith on hand, while Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara of Syracuse were there. Both schools are also recruiting City Rocks guard Joe Girard.
"Some schools pitch the one-and-done to me but it's not something I'm really worried about," Stewart said. "I'm worried about coming into college, getting better and trying to win some games, hopefully a championship."

Sounds like a long shot to land this one he never said anything about IU. It is interesting that him and TB are friends however.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, barrettballer said:

Sounds like a long shot to land this one he never said anything about IU. It is interesting that him and TB are friends however.

He's not the priority for IU at the PF/C spot for 2019 so I'm not surprised. That would be TJD and I'm fully confident that he will be a Hoosier sooner or later. 

I absolutely love his quote at the bottom though. “Win games and hopefully a championship”

I don’t like kids saying which school can get me to the NBA soonest. I understand that thought process. But the focus should be to win. The other stuff will take care of itself.

Anyway. This is a pet peeve of mine with recruit interviews.

I want kids that want to win regardless of the one or done talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 4/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I absolutely love his quote at the bottom though. “Win games and hopefully a championship”

I don’t like kids saying which school can get me to the NBA soonest. I understand that thought process. But the focus should be to win. The other stuff will take care of itself.

Anyway. This is a pet peeve of mine with recruit interviews.

I want kids that want to win regardless of the one or done talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, but I want them to want to WORK as a TEAM to win, not join a bunch of mismatched talent, that can't help but be good at 60% effort.

21 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I was told that IU is in a lot better position for Stewart than people think. Also they would absolutely take Stewart & TJD in the same class. 

I'm not mad about this at all. 

38 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What did Chris007 say? It showed up blank for me

Per Chris007 "I was told that IU is in a lot better position for Stewart than people think.  Also they would absolutely take Steware & TJD in the same class."

Per Chris007 "I was told that IU is in a lot better position for Stewart than people think.  Also they would absolutely take Steware & TJD in the same class."

Your post showed up blank here but got a notification on my phone that came through clearly. Thanks for the info