Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not to nitpick, but these two concepts are pretty much the same thing.

No they're not. They might quite often result in the same outcome, but they're not the same thing. One is basically telling a kid that he doesn't have a spot, the other is telling him he's not going to play much and he'll need to be comfortable with that if he wants to stay. 

Back in my college days I had teammates who were given the brutally honest conversation and still chose to stay. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No they're not. They might quite often result in the same outcome, but they're not the same thing. One is basically telling a kid that he doesn't have a spot, the other is telling him he's not going to play much and he'll need to be comfortable with that if he wants to stay. 

Back in my college days I had teammates who were given the brutally honest conversation and still chose to stay. 

Can I cry "Uncle!"? 

It is almost always the same result, but I guess as Tim Priller can attest, it is not the same thing!

14 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Is Tremont Waters in play at all?

I thought about this, too. I'm guessing that would mean we'd be out of the running for Garland. Also Waters is getting a reputation as a tough case based on his dad's demands/involvement. I will say I was very high on Tremont 6 months ago.

With an open scholly we have options.

Grad transfer (big would be helpful)
Unsigned recruit (Carter, Waters would be great but a pipe dream)
Give a walk on the scholly for a year
Bank it

I don't think we can give a one year scholarship now because of the Student Bill of Rights. If we gave McBob a scholarship, wouldn't he then be entitled to one for his remaining years of eligibility? Not sure how that works now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I don't think we can give a one year scholarship now because of the Student Bill of Rights. If we gave McBob a scholarship, wouldn't he then be entitled to one for his remaining years of eligibility? Not sure how that works now.

This is exactly what I was wondering about.

...seems like the Walking Boot of Doom has been making his way to the Colts facility too!

The student bill of rights is an IU thing. If they wanted to work around it I'm sure they could. How many years does McBob have left?

@ChronicHoosier

In his 9 years at #iubb, Crean awarded 41 freshmen scholarships, 18 (41.9%) subsequently transferred or were dismissed.

I would like to see the breakdown of 4 year graduates and kids leaving early for the NBA. Not sure if my calculations are exact.

Zeller, Oladipo, Vonleh, Blackmon Jr., OG and Bryant are the kids leaving early for the NBA. 7 left early (17%) leaving just ~41% that stayed at IU for 4 years and graduated.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would like to see the breakdown of 4 year graduates and kids leaving early for the NBA. Not sure if my calculations are exact.

Zeller, Oladipo, Vonleh, Blackmon Jr., and Bryant are the kids leaving early for the NBA. 6 left early (12.1%) leaving just 46% that stayed at IU for 4 years and graduated.

You forgot OG.

I'm excited about this Gelon news for a few reasons:
-Gelon can go and actually play somewhere
-It frees up a scholarship that was essentially being used on a walk-on quality player
-Our first glimpse at how CAM will approach these "extra" scholarships. We will be able to see if he will get offer happy like Crean used to do. I'm hoping CAM does his due diligence and doesn't force an offer because there's an opening.