Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

28 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Archie knows. ... He has to know who's staying and who's going or have a very, very good indication of such. Otherwise, he would've just let Moore or Durham go. They wanted out of their LOIs and if we were to remain oversigned, the easy thing would be to just release them. But he worked hard to keep them. That tells me he's pretty hip to the scholly situation and knows how it will play out. 

Is there any chance someone goes to a "prep" school for a year?

I've also wondered about a player like Gelon transferring to a Jr college and then coming back after he has had a chance to hone his skills for a year or two.

Why do people keep saying the Priller and Gelon need to go? Under good leadership he can develop and the kind of role that Priller fills is invaluable to a team, but not many of you would know anything about that. When Crean finally let the thriller on the floor he was the most aggressive player we had all night. I would say that Bryant and Johnson need to go and develop the correct attitude and then return.   

8 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Is there any chance someone goes to a "prep" school for a year?

I've also wondered about a player like Gelon transferring to a Jr college and then coming back after he has had a chance to hone his skills for a year or two.

Is there any chance someone goes to a "prep" school for a year?  No.

...a player like Gelon transferring to a Jr college and then coming back  Nope.

The last two spots will open when JBj and/or TB goes pro, and/or when current players transfer away permanently. The most likely scenario by far is that both JBj and TB go pro.

1 minute ago, the possum said:

Why do people keep saying the Priller and Gelon need to go? Under good leadership he can develop and the kind of role that Priller fills is invaluable to a team, but not many of you would know anything about that. When Crean finally let the thriller on the floor he was the most aggressive player we had all night. I would say that Bryant and Johnson need to go and develop the correct attitude and then return.   

I've seen it all.

None of that matters/helps with the scholarship situation. A RS takes up a scholarship... so putting a kid "on hold" for a year doesn't solve the 13 scholarship limit issue... 13 schollies and 15 kids... I'm sure Arch has an idea how this will work out, but I fear we lose a cog in the machine (TB, JBJ) rather than Gelon or MSB...

I wasn't talking about scholarship numbers. I was talking about Moore red shirting. I believe he said in an interview that CAM wanted him to redshirt and he wasn't fond of it. Does him recommitting mean he's willing to redshirt?

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I wasn't talking about scholarship numbers. I was talking about Moore red shirting. I believe he said in an interview that CAM wanted him to redshirt and he wasn't fond of it. Does him recommitting mean he's willing to redshirt?

Maybe, or it could mean that Archie relented on that issue. Of the three recruits, I think Moore could benefit the most physically from a redshirt year. However, I think that decision is dependent on whether or not TB comes back. If TB is gone I think Moore will get minutes. If he doesn't, I think TB, DD, CH, JM, JS and FM are sufficient front court depth.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Archie knows. ... He has to know who's staying and who's going or have a very, very good indication of such. Otherwise, he would've just let Moore or Durham go. They wanted out of their LOIs and if we were to remain oversigned, the easy thing would be to just release them. But he worked hard to keep them. That tells me he's pretty hip to the scholly situation and knows how it will play out. 

I agree with you. It seems pretty unlikely that a guy who didn't mind holding a scholly or two all the sudden wants to start over-signing.

9 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Lemme see if I understand your points from your last couple posts:

1) You don't want Crean's players on the floor, but;

2) Gelon and Priller should play more (let's ignore they were Crean's players), in place of;

3) Two players with the potential to be All B1G next year, Thomas Bryant and Rob Johnson, who you think should;

4) Leave the team for a year to readjust their attitudes while sitting on the bench somewhere fulfilling their transfer obligation, and then;

5) Return to Indiana to sit on the bench for another year to fulfill their transfer obligation, at which point Bryant and Johnson will have surpassed their alotted 5 years to play 4 seasons, meaning both will be ineligible to continue playing college basketball.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2) Gelon and Priller should play more (let's ignore they were Crean's players), in place of;
3) Two players with the potential to be All B1G next year, Thomas Bryant and Rob Johnson, who you think should;
4) Leave the team for a year to readjust their attitudes while sitting on the bench somewhere fulfilling their transfer obligation, and then;
5) Return to Indiana to sit on the bench for another year to fulfill their transfer obligation, at which point Bryant and Johnson will have surpassed their alotted 5 years to play 4 seasons, meaning both will be ineligible to continue playing college basketball.

You missed the insane evil laugh at the end.

36 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Come on WBOD, youre making too much sense again.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/4/17/15320790/recruiting-the-class-of-2018-just-the-beginning-for-archie-miller

A good overview article from the Crimson Quarry.

Very hot take on Keion Brooks, which will be added to his thread.

WOW, I didnt realize Schilling and the Brooks family were close. I'm loving that hire more and more.